• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mishu

Indicator Stalk Repair

mishu

The steering column stalks on my 205 was broken (lights wouldn't work all the time/washer jet) and, of course, I assumed I could fix them. So I opened the wiper stalk and cleaned it. It wasn't very complicated, so I managed to put that together.

But I'm having some problems with the lights stalk. I managed to get everything back together (after stretching one of the signal return springs -- but that's not really that important I guess) except I can't engage the stronger beam (dunno what it's called). I can flash it (at least the mechanism works), but the stalk sits where it should be when the stronger beam is fully engaged, and not between that and the flashing point.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help, as my electrician said he wouldn't touch (made me wonder what kind of electrician he really is).

When I first opened it I took a photo to know where everything was, but it hasn't been much help (I've done it by trial and error basically -- which is why I'm curious if this will work at all once it's back in the car). Anyway, here it is:

DSCN1694.JPG

I know it's difficult to explain something like this, but I'd really appreciate any help, since I don't know what to do now. :ph34r:

Patches

Hi there

I had this exact same problem and had to replace the stalk... not much use if you are trying a repair I know, but is it phase 1 or 2 as I have a phase 1 stalk hanging about somewhere if you get no joy with repairing.

Cheers

Michelle

jim21070

Now this is one very tricky job. In the past I have managed to fix an intermittent indicator problem by dismantling the stalk but I'd not recommend it. You need the memory of an elephant to remember how it goes back togeter, the eyes of an owl and the dexterity of a brain surgeon, not to mention the patience of a saint :ph34r:

I admire your efforts in this Mishu. You have done well!

The failure of Main Beam (your stronger beam Mishu) to latch is a common problem it seems and despite carefully dismantling one showing this same problem, I failed. I think there is a tiny piece of plastic that breaks and it would be nigh-on impossible to fix it.

I'm afraid replacement may be the only answer.

mishu

Michelle: Thank you very much, I'll look into whether I can use a phase 1 stalk. But I'm going to give it another shot first.

jim: The thing is the main beam wasn't broken when I took it apart, there was a corroded (well, a little) contact issue (which I fixed using some contact spray). And I didn't see bits of plastic breaking off.

So I'd like to give it another try, given that it's probably a certain position the stalk has to be in (rotated) to fit, because, as I've said, the rest of it works perfectly (well, I'll have to see how perfectly once I get it back in the car). Any advice (besides replacement :ph34r:)?

welshpug

a phase 1 stalk will fit and work but will be the square type not round.

Guest wg22

I've had one of these apart before.........it was a bloody nightmare! I managed to get it back together as well! Haven't got any advice, just be patient and don't give up......

Anton green

Could have a separate switch for main beam, rally car style??

All depends how original your car is and how much you want to keep it that way

mishu

I'd like to keep it original if possible. But seeing as I only drive in the city (always), I don't really need the main beam. Except the flashing function.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Does anyone know how to fix the main beam always on problem? :)

bitchass 205
I'd like to keep it original if possible. But seeing as I only drive in the city (always), I don't really need the main beam. Except the flashing function.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Does anyone know how to fix the main beam always on problem? :D

well if all you want the main beam for is flashing just get a torch which you can stick out of the window and quickly turn on and off.

not very safe, not very convenient! :o:D:D

Sign in to follow this