• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest sol20516

1.6 Dizzy Question

Guest sol20516

Hi, the vacuum advance has packed up on my 89 1.6 leaving it a little gutless. I have got another distributor of a J reg 1.6 (screw cap type) and I was wondering if this would be compatible with my car.

Thanks very much.

kyepan
Hi, the vacuum advance has packed up on my 89 1.6 leaving it a little gutless. I have got another distributor of a J reg 1.6 (screw cap type) and I was wondering if this would be compatible with my car.

Thanks very much.

yes but you'll need a new cap and arm, possibly leads too, alternativly you can swap the vaccume advance over, remove the two screws and move it along the distributor to unhook. hooking it back into the new one is fiddly, but simple, move the inside of the dizzy to bring the peg it locates on closer to the opening, then just push it on sideways.

cheers

Justin.

Edited by kyepan

Guest ashnicholls

Why not just change the vacuum advanced bit,

thats what I did, isnt too much hasle.

Just need to find a working one, unbolt them, and unclip and then rebuild takes 5mins.

Guest sol20516

Thankyou for your replies. I will try and replace the capsule for the one on the newer distributor. You say it only takes 5 minutes, that shouldn't be to difficult then.

cheers

Guest ashnicholls

Just just need torx head screw driver. To open the dizzy in half.

Then undo the circlip, to remove the the capsule is attached to, then undo the circlip to remove the capsule.

Then put back together, and while its apart, you can give everything a good clean, and regrease/oil.

kyepan
Just just need torx head screw driver. To open the dizzy in half.

Then undo the circlip, to remove the the capsule is attached to, then undo the circlip to remove the capsule.

Then put back together, and while its apart, you can give everything a good clean, and regrease/oil.

Not sure about needing to take the armature out, just undoing the two screws on the outer case will release the vac advance. Plus if the dizzy is dissasembled, doesn't it need to be rebalaced?

pug_ham

I agree, to replace the vacuum advance capsule you needn't take the dizzy apart.

Two screws on the side of the body & un-hook it from the internals. Getting it hooked back on can be fun but its not hard. Might take a few tries thats all. No circlip or anything else.

Graham.

Guest ashnicholls

Yes you need to undo the two screws on the outer case. But the arm that the vacuum capsule attaches to, is attacted to disk that does the advancing via a circlip.

No it does not need balancing as you do not need to touch that anyway.

It just has fingers that rest against it.

pug_ham
Yes you need to undo the two screws on the outer case. But the arm that the vacuum capsule attaches to, is attacted to disk that does the advancing via a circlip.

None of the ones I've done had a circlip holding it on, they just hooked over the peg on the disk & stayed on when its all fastned back to the dizzy body.

Bosch or Ducellier dizzy's? Mine were all Bosch.

Graham.

Guest ashnicholls

Oh? Ok?

Mine was a 1.6 Carb Ducellier one. Thats brobly why.

Still straight forward with the clips.

kyepan

ahh, that explains it, mine were bosch too :ph34r:

Sign in to follow this