• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mishu

Seatbelts Fully Retracted

mishu

First of all I'd like to thank the authors of the interior stripping guide for a great article. I skimmed it, but in the heat of the moment (when everything seemed to be working great and all the nuts/bolts were coming out one after the other) I skipped a few lines. Especially those which said, ahem

IMPORTANT, before removing any of the belts tie a knot in the belts, or clamp them just before the reel to ensure the belt does not retract fully into the reel. If this happens the reel must be dismantled to relocate the coil spring.

:)

So, while the interior is nowhere near ready to put the seatbelts back in, I was thinking of tackling the task soon so that they would be ready by the time the car is.

Anyone know what I have to do to unlock the seatbelt reels? Thanks!

boombang

Its a bitch - you have to take the side off (wrong side and you get a spring in the face!) and unlatch it, then pull it out.

Put it back together and hope it still works properly.

Or if you took the wrong side out struggle for hours to get the spring back in with any decent tension. I did!

mishu

Ah, looks like I have my work cut out for me tomorrow. At least it can be done...

Thanks for the instructions.

Edited by mishu

boombang

With mine I opened the wrong side of 3 of them... yes 3 out of the 4 :(

On teh 106's the latch bit can bend over time and render them useless but unsure of the insides of 205 reels.

Just take the sides off slowly and some nice protective goggles won't hurt!

welshpug

welding gauntlets are good for stuff like that...

boombang

What protecting you eyes? :(

Gentrix

STOP - there is no need to loose any screw on the beltretainers.

Just try to find out which place they had in the car and once they are built in again they should easily roll out again.

There is a little sensor inside, which tells the retainer the horizontal or vertical position of the Retainer and the car - which usually is fixed to the retainer.

You can just screw them back in the car or try to find the right position by playing around. It works! Trust me.

But please don´t rip this security item in pieces.

andi

boombang

But if its totally in they need to move in one click of the ratchet mechanism to move out again.

The sensor is a little ball bearing on a piece of plastic - no joke! - that if not at the right angle will lock the reel up. If fully retracted it won't come out no matter what and sometimes storing at odd angles causes the plastic to lock (did on the 106) and needs to be disassembled.

On mine I actually ended up gettin reels out of another car being broken instead.

mbayley77

agree with gentrix, had this happen with 3 in my 309's. nearly impossible with the belt out of the car but bolt it back in and it should still come out after a little giggery pokery

mishu

Seriously? First time I've heard of that. But then again, I didn't know they'd lock when fully retracted either, so I'm not the one to go by. :(

I'll put them back in tomorrow and (try to) pull them out, then tie a know in them so it doesn't happen again, then take them back out again. :)

Should I just put the lower part back in and then pull it upwards, or put the upper part back in as well and pull it downwards from there? Or do both work?

Gentrix

just the lower part. I used a Plastikbag Clip to stop the belts instead of a knot. Then you can safely wash them in the sink with some normal Persil or whatever you have over there *G*

Jrod

Also agree with them^^^ Once in the car they will come back out again but it is a bit akward.

mishu

I just put them back in to make sure it works.. and it did. I also tied a knot in them (no plastic bag clips on hand) so I can sleep better :blush:

Thanks a lot!

Edited by mishu

Guest rick03054
STOP - there is no need to loose any screw on the beltretainers.

Just try to find out which place they had in the car and once they are built in again they should easily roll out again.

There is a little sensor inside, which tells the retainer the horizontal or vertical position of the Retainer and the car - which usually is fixed to the retainer.

You can just screw them back in the car or try to find the right position by playing around. It works! Trust me.

But please don´t rip this security item in pieces.

andi

I just replaced a front seatbelt for my MOT, and it wouldn't come out when not in the car. I just assumed I was pulling it at a funny angle or something. Once bolted up to the car it came out no probs.

Sign in to follow this