• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest 8703dave

Pipe Missing On Throttle Body

Guest 8703dave

hello there. i have a 1990 1.6 gti. im recently having a few running problems, while checking out the vacuum advance( which is knackered ). i have noticed under the throttle body ther are 3 outlets one having two pipes come from it. there is the vac advance out let, the one with two pipes, but there is another one that has nothing connected to it is this correct???

o yeah any suggestions where i can get a second hand or new vacuum advance pack???

thanx

welshpug

the 3rd outlet is for a vac gauge.

vac advance capsules are available from peugeot or ant bosch/lucas distributor ( I got my Bosch one from my local Lucas dealer)

Guest 8703dave

so that pipe should be blocked then.?

what sort of price was it if u dont mind me asking.

cuz iv price a dissy up recon an i nearly fell off my chair. :D

Edited by 8703dave

welshpug

i guess so!

a new dizzy from pug, wait for it

£360!!

the capsule was under £20 inc vat.

Guest 8703dave

cheers for the help iv just taken the throttle body off and that pipe is blocked its a blank hole.

cleaned it all out and set the throttle switch and it idles better than ever just need to sort the vac adveance and it should be like new (well nearly)

thanx again

Guest RickGTIBaker

Vacuum unit helps with the torquey grunt in the rev range. Well worth doing right, mark up the dizzy before removal too, so you can get it in near same position.

Guest 8703dave

yeah i know iv always thought it didnt pic up very well. im just trying to find my local lucas dealer to try and get a vac capsule. i carnt seem to find any lucas uk website.

pug_ham

There is one pipe on the GTi throttle body that isn't used, it can't be mistaken for the vacuum advance pipe because that is lots smaller.

Throttle body picture here, the vac advance pipe is the small brass one between the two larger pipes & the one to the right in the poicture isn't used.

The other two are oart of the cooling system for a water heated throttle body but I've removed those on my car as I don't think they are needed in the UK.

Graham.

VisaGTi16v

The 16v one doesnt have the vac advance does it unless im being blind. I have removed the 2 for the water cooling on mine leaving just the breather from the filler cap. If thats correct, why does the 16v not need one?

pug_ham

You're right, the 16v doesn't have a vac advance pipe, the 16v management is a far superior system to the clockwork (fuelling only) Jetronic fitted to most 205's.

As for why, I'm not sure.

Graham.

jim21070
You're right, the 16v doesn't have a vac advance pipe, the 16v management is a far superior system to the clockwork (fuelling only) Jetronic fitted to most 205's.

As for why, I'm not sure.

Graham.

The ignition timing is controlled by ECU maps in 16v management which render the need of centrifugal and vacuum advance unnecesary. The ECU "knows" for instance, from airflow and TPS position when the engine is on light throttle cruise and sets the advance appropriately by electronic means. Likewise it knows when you boot it and again adjusts advance to suit, along with fuelling of course.

Or am I misreading you Graham? Do you mean that the 16v management is far superior to the L Jetronic in general? Well yes, of course it is, the L Jetronic was a pretty vintage system even in the late 80s and considering, it's still not a bad system today when properly set up. It demonstrates just how competent an analogue fuelling cumputer could be. It is actually a lot more sophisicated than it apprars to be on first glance. It's also very easy to understand how it works for those of us brought up on carbs and distributors with points in them... In fact the great advantage of the L Jet from my perspective is that you can still play with mixture setting and ignition timings without resorting to a remap.

pug_ham
The ignition timing is controlled by ECU maps in 16v management which render the need of centrifugal and vacuum advance unnecesary. The ECU "knows" for instance, from airflow and TPS position when the engine is on light throttle cruise and sets the advance appropriately by electronic means. Likewise it knows when you boot it and again adjusts advance to suit, along with fuelling of course.

It must use the AFM more than the TPS as thats simply a closed-open-closed switch & has no part throttle settings, just idle & WOT.

Yes, I mean't the 16v system is far superior to the Jetronic, the Jetronic's not that sophisticated imo.

Only one side of the ecu is used on the 205 so there must be lots more options available from the system as used in other cars.

Graham.

VisaGTi16v

These 2 posts also explain to me why I need to use 8v coil etc if I went to carbs and couldnt use my 16v bits. I presumed it was due to the 16v ecu doing more "in house" but now have more info so thanks :wacko:

jim21070
It must use the AFM more than the TPS as thats simply a closed-open-closed switch & has no part throttle settings, just idle & WOT.

Graham.

Did not realise, sorry :angry: I always had the belief that the 16v Management used a Throttle Position Pot to know what you were doing with your right foot :wacko:

VisaGTi16v

Seen WOT mentioned a few times, does it stand for wide open throttle? :wacko:

Baz

WOT =Wide Open Throttle yes.

By the way VisaGTi16v, are you Darren was it? owner of D951OWA Mi sprint/hillclimb Visa? At Brands yesterday?

VisaGTi16v

Yes I am! I wasnt competing due to the hilarious entry fee price but drove the car up there to check it out before pottering off to Longleat with it in 2 weeks. Were you there competing or watching?

Baz
Yes I am! I wasnt competing due to the hilarious entry fee price but drove the car up there to check it out before pottering off to Longleat with it in 2 weeks. Were you there competing or watching?

I wasn't there no, but my Dad was, parked next to you at some point during the day, he recognised the car as we used to know it very well. A friend was also competing in a yellow Sunbeam. :wacko:

VisaGTi16v

Interesting, PM sent :)

Sign in to follow this