• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rom

Paint Colour Advice / Wheel Colour

Rom

Hi guys.

I know this has been asked over and over again. And i have read through a lot of old posts.

Pretty soon im taking my car of the road,and in this time im fitting the Mi engine (im still building),getting it sprayed,refurbing the wheels,refurdbed beam,new brakes etc etc.

Basically, i cant decide what colours to go for. Its White atm, and i dont normally like white cars. But there is just something about white GTIs :(

My choices i guess are either

Straight white

White with a subtle pearl (red maybe?) Im not talking colour change stuff, just a little something extra.

Something lairy (Bright orange etc)

Then,the wheels. Obviously they depend on the car colour. Think im steering clear of polished or diamond cut, due to longetivity and maintainence. Im thinking of changing the grey 1.5 trim to black 2 trim. Is there any hidden pitfalls in this ? Or just straight swap.

Ideally, id like pics of various paint, and wheel colours,so that i can get a mate to photoshop some mixtures. I want it to look like a mint 205,not a trevved up one. But also id like it to stand out a little.

Thanks a lot for your time

Chris

welshpug

bianca white (pug 306 white, very nice when looked after)

with P2 black trim.

pug platinum silver met for the wheels :(

Edited by welshpug

sonofsam

If you wanna stand out big time then Kawasaki green really suits the 205 IMO with black wheels.hahaha.

Why not just respray your old trim?

You know what you'll get on here: straight white with goodwood style alloys, and i would be in a agreement with that fo sure lol

Rom

I dont think i want it to stand out much..as long as it looks really tidy ill be happy,just i see some of the brightly coloured cars on here, and there nice. But dont think id cope with it everyday.

Thats what made me think about a subtle pearl over the base white.

Not sure i like goodwood wheels tbh,maybe black or white. Or silver. Always thought goodwoods appear smaller due to the lip. Diamond cut is nice, but worried about how they would last.

I did see the article on spraying the trim. Ill have another read. Just worried how long it would last i guess,and how it will stand upto the sun etc. Plus i need a few trim bits,as some of mine are a bit tatty.

Chris

Gentrix

I think pearl effects are a bit g**. But how about a white*metallic*(is this already light silver?)+a matt coat?

welshpug

Moonstone?

Gary
Hi guys.

Im thinking of changing the grey 1.5 trim to black 2 trim. Is there any hidden pitfalls in this ? Or just straight swap.

Straight swap :( .

If you want to be different,have you thought about some sort of two tone? B) .

twotone.jpg

Paintguy
I think pearl effects are a bit g**. But how about a white*metallic*

A bit of a no-go I'm afraid.

It can be done of course, but take it from personal experience, it'd look rank! The metalic flakes just look like specs of black dirt in the paint. Not nice at all :)

Gentrix
A bit of a no-go I'm afraid.

It can be done of course, but take it from personal experience, it'd look rank! The metalic flakes just look like specs of black dirt in the paint. Not nice at all :D

:) but I think you understand what I meant? A bright white with a satin finish and something extra (extra=not pink pearl)

Paintguy

A pearl (or mica, to use its correct name) over the top would work, if you like that sort of thing.

I recently did a custom paint job on an MR2 for a guy. I started off with the standard colour as a base (bright yellow) then layered several different micas over the top; white, gold, red, blue, violet & a red/green flip one. Then it had a final coat of crystal silver xyrillic pearl over all that. At first glance it just looks yellow, but when the car moves it almost shimmers with colour. Not like all the rank flip jobs you see in Max Power etc, but enough to mke it stand out from the crowd

That crystal silver is one of my favourites atm. It does nothing under normal light, but under strong sunlight it sparkles with almost every colour in the rainbow :) Nothing garish, and quite subtle, but effective.

I did a mates Supra in black, with a little of this in it (1%) and it just adds that 'something extra'. I've also just resprayed my A8, and added a little to that too, so it has the standard Audi dark grey to aubergine flip, with a little multi-coloured sparkle.

The possibilities are really only limited by your imagination or taste.

Rom

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Paintguy...Your talking about the metallic, or the preal in your post ? Tbhj, im kinda going off pearl, unless i can see it first or something,im not spraying my car in something i might not like.

Straight white is looking like the winner atm :)

Just have ot go for mint looking.

Paintguy
Paintguy...Your talking about the metallic, or the preal in your post ?

Sorry for the confusion.

I meant that a white + metalic combination doesn't really work, for the reasons given in my first post :)

Rom

No prob, i posted while you were, so i only saw the first :)

Id like it to be a bit different,but not lairy at all. Unless i saw white with a little mica, i dont think ill go that route.

Im probably looking in the wrong places,but trying to find pics hasnt worked.

I nice bright white,with phase 2 trim will look nice. I know that,just wont look different to any other white 205. I guess ill have ot make it extra tidy :D

But what about wheel colour. Blacks prob a bit ott on a white car. Silver is always good. Diamond cut, but maintainence/longetivity isnt great from what i hear.

Chris

cybernck
I meant that a white + metalic combination doesn't really work, for the reasons given in my first post

how about alfa's special pearl white?

a5nn6.jpg

NoodleVille

:lol: white with a pearl coat looks the s*it absoloutly lush. i saw a vectra with this done very very very suttle actually hardly noticable but on a closer inspection and when it started driving that car stood out without being max flower and stupidly in your face sprayed. looked lush deffinatly would look mint on a 205 DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that alfa looks lush as well

gti-hysteria

im currently thinking the same my white cti is off the road being prepared for a respray, and at the mo we have a r5 gtt at work which is painted white and looks standard but under sunlight its got a green and orange tint, super sexy. but is this hard to spray?

that alfa white is nice!!

Paintguy
.... but is this hard to spray?

No harder than any other colour really. The only 'hard' bit is gauging how much pearl/mica to put on top of the white. But that's what test panels are for :blush:

gti-hysteria

so do u mix the pearl/mica in with the laquer?? is it expensive to buy?

Paintguy

No, it's just one of the standard 'ingredients' on most paint schemes. I've only seen it used in two colours so far - A dark green Honda Accord (55 plate) and a dark grey Lexus RX300. The Lexus looked fansastic, and it's what gave me the idea to do my Audi.

It can be added to almost any colour, or (without getting too technical) be 'diluted' and sprayed over as a final coat before lacquering.

It's not really expensive either. I think we buy it at around £60 per litre, but you only need a little bit for it to be effective (1 - 2%)

Remember, I'm not talking about a massive in - your - face effect here, as I can't stand that sort of thing, but it adds that little something extra :(

Gentrix

don´t you have any pictures of your Work? I really like to see, what you are talking about.

BTW. The next parts I like to paint, are my Speedlines, which I have kicking around. (ouh another Wheelcolor faq) but I want to try something different too. As they have curbmarks on the edge, a polished lip is not possible. So I thought something lightwight-technical looking - a darksilver-matt, or Titan-Look would be cool. Do you have an Idea, what I could try? I have to use Rattlecans, but I´m sure the Laquer-shop could do everything in a Rattlecan.

Today we started a goodwood-style refurbishment - and the first dusty layer looked quite cool.

Before

axels-Gentry-032.jpg

dusty layer

axels-Gentry-041.jpg

nearly finished

axels-Gentry-035.jpg

sorry for hi-jacking the thread :(

Guest Bjørn

Wow, that alfa white was really nice! Something around that color i'm thinking about! Same with the rims! What color did you use?

Paintguy
don´t you have any pictures of your Work? I really like to see, what you are talking about.

Sorry, it's taken me some time to get a half respectable picture. It still doesn't show up very well, but hopefully you get the idea:

DSCF0645.thumb.jpg

And another one of the whole thing:

DSCF0644.thumb.jpg

Sign in to follow this