• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest 8703dave

Ignition Timing On 1.6

Guest 8703dave

hi there.

im about to adjust the ignition timing on the old 205 what is the best degree to set it to.

thanx for any help

Guest RickGTIBaker

Alter it too the highest REV, then move it ANTI-CLOCKWISE till it begins to drop the revs 200rpm odd.

But Timing guns (as I have Found) don't do the engine justice, Alter, frap, alter, frap seems to be the best way :(

welshpug

so turn the dizzy forwards, till it doesnt rev higher, then take it back 200rpm??

nice one rick! wondered if there was any way of doping it without getting one of those timing lights.

another one is to tweak it till it sounds right :( mine didnt go burble or bwaaaaap untill i had a play B)

arry

So seriously though, what's the peugeot specification ign timing?

jim21070
So seriously though, what's the peugeot specification ign timing?

Academic really. The timing marks are impossible to see and with todays fuels it's best to do it by ear as Rick says. It worked well for me using Ricks method.

I have seen recommended to advance the timing in steps until the engine "pinks" (detonates) under load and then back it off a tad. I personally don't believe this is the route to best running as it's a bit of an urban legend that all engines make best power when they're timed to the edge of detonation. It needs to be a good bit back from ths point for best running.

Make sure your vacuum advance is working. If not it'll kill good running at cruise, kill the good throttle response these engines have and ruin the good fuel economy a 1.6 can give.

arry

thanks for the info - any advice on how to check the vacuum advance?

also, is there a link to a downloadable service manual hangin around anywhere? I get on lots more with proper service manuals rather than the haynes manuals :(

Guest RickGTIBaker

Dizzy vacuum, check the diaphram for vacuum by sucking on its tube, then Watch the plate inside move.

More top tuning tips RICK styleeeeeeeeeeeeee coming soon :(

jim21070
thanks for the info - any advice on how to check the vacuum advance?

also, is there a link to a downloadable service manual hangin around anywhere? I get on lots more with proper service manuals rather than the haynes manuals :(

To check the vacuum capsule you can either suck on it through a length of plastic pipe and observe the advance mechanism in the dizzy moving or better (as it takes a lot of suck) is to use a large hyperdermic (sp?) syringe to do the sucking. You can pull a fair vacuum using one of those.

Best done with the dizzy off the engine.

It is a good idea to check the integrity of the vacuum advance pipe from the TB as it ofthen perishes and also check that the vacuum take-off passage in the TB is not blocked. You can do this with the engine running by slipping off the vacuum advance pipe from the dizzy and putting your fingertip over the end of the pipe. You'll be able to feel a distinct suck.

Guest RickGTIBaker

New vacuums from peugeot are less than £20 odd usually, but the correct one is vital - so check and write down ALL the numbers on it!

Guest 8703dave

thanx for all the help lads. i will check that out tommorow. the vacuum advance may well be up the swany that would explain why it feels a bit flat under acceleration.

i think i might do a compresion test too just to check it out iv had enough of it not running to well. :(

Edited by 8703dave

Guest yaztromo

The more you advance the timing, the faster the car will feel when you boot it, but the more likely it will be to pink under load at low revs.

It's a bit of a trade off I'm afraid. I have mine advanced a little which gives good power but I have to be careful not to squeeze the throttle too hard under 2500rpm.

Guest 8703dave

iv found out the biggest problem, as mentioned earlier on in the tread by someone i checked out tha vac advance. i have found that the diaphagm is non existant i can breath freely though it. :D

does any one have any ideas about the best place to get one from?

are they the same unit as fitted to anything else for instance a 405 etc.

any help will be fantastic cheers. :D

welshpug

get dopwn to a pug dealer or any lucas or bosch supplier (my local lucas place supplied my Bosch unit) take the part numebr off the dizzy.

pug_ham
New vacuums from peugeot are less than £20 odd usually, but the correct one is vital - so check and write down ALL the numbers on it!
The Vac advance capsule sold from Autofive is a one fits all & given the job it does I can't see it being any different to any of ther many listed on the parts CD.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this