• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest andymckinnon

Stereo

Guest andymckinnon

G'day all, first post. gee im nervous.

Anyway. I can't seem to remove the stereo headunit out of my 205gti. I had a search and I fear i'm using the wrong lingo to find results.

Could someone tell me how to take it out or redirect me to a thred thats already covered it please?

arry

Mine didn't come with a stereo in it so I can't comment what the standard arrangement is like but I did notice right up the back of where the stereo would slide down into, there's a place for it to bolt to - check whether it has been bolted there. Not sure how you'd get access to this without going down to check, probably by removing part of the centre console

welshpug

lever off the trip at the top of the stereo, this will reveal the upper 2 holes of which there are 2 at the lower edge also.

Mine didnt have a stereo when I got mine either but i do have an original clarion unit in there now, and they arent bolted in but do locate into the tab you mentioned.

to make getting the unit out easier stick yuor hand in from behing the unit (you can get you hand in from in front of the carpet bit on the side of the console.

ada205

I assume we're talking original equipment here? If so, is it the Clarion or Phillips headunit? I cant remenber how the Phillips releases, but probably similar to the Clarion anyway.

The Clarion has 2 small blanking plates on the front left and right sides. Prise these out with a screw driver, and behind each cover theres 2 small circular holes. Push something of the right size, i use peices of wire cut from wire coat hangers if i cant get hold of a proper tool, into each of the holes and the unit should pull out. If tight, you can get your hand behind the back of the centre console at the back of the footwell, and give the stereo a push to help it out. In my experience, i have'nt come across an original headunit that uses the the securing hole at the back of the unit yet......

Unfortunately, arry's sugestion wont work, as the centre console is attached to the middle part of the dash by 2 small nuts and bolts that can only be reached with the stereo already out!

Hope this helps.

EDIT- should type faster, as welshpug has beaten me to it!

Edited by ada205

Guest andymckinnon

Cheers boys,

It's not actually stock, its some crap that doesnt work and i asumed everything would be using the same mounting.

But its out now so your help worked, thanks.

Sign in to follow this