• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Patches

Damn

Patches

Just driving back from work and i hear a thud followed by a loud continuous rumbling.... hmmm

Damn

Currently the small piece of pipe that was connected to the back box is held into the clamp with sealant,(couple of inches of it still remain) how do I get this out/off to attach the old originial exhaust ( still in shed thankfully) back into the clamp, this isnt something ive done before so what sealant will I need to redo this and any tips please?! Also, my original exhaust doesnt have these extra couple of inches of pipe... Im confused, lol

Cheers

Michelle :)

Edited by Patches

Jonmurgie

Damn... where did that exhaust go?!!

Patches
Damn... where did that exhaust go?!!

:) it still meets up (just) , its just the perspective as the back box is hanging down and I have spun it round to get a pic.

TEKNOPUG

From looking at those pictures, I think you'll find that the entire exhaust has "gone".

Guest MiamiBlueOli
Just driving back from work and i hear a thud followed by a loud continuous rumbling.... hmmm

Damn

Currently the small piece of pipe that was connected to the back box is held into the clamp with sealant,(couple of inches of it still remain) how do I get this out/off to attach the old originial exhaust ( still in shed thankfully) back into the clamp, this isnt something ive done before so what sealant will I need to redo this and any tips please?! Also, my original exhaust doesnt have these extra couple of inches of pipe... Im confused, lol

Cheers

Michelle :)

to get it off just undo the 2 bolts either side of the clamp till it comes loose. It is probably stuck on pretty hard so try hiting it with a hammer using a block of wood to stop it damaging the clamp. The back box is just held onto the car by the rubber mounts, slide these off and then onto the old backbox. When putting the old one back on (providing the pipes still match) put them together, smear exhaust paste all over them (use loads) then do the clamp back up over the join.

Oli

maturin23

Other than getting it welded back on any DIY measure will be a short term solution. I used to fanny around with exhaust tape, putty, even tried using baked bean cans with both ends removed and held in place by jubilee clips - nothing seems to stand up to the heat and pressure and vibration for very long.

It doesn't look like it's got masses of life left in it - you might want to bite the bullet and get a new system.

Patches
to get it off just undo the 2 bolts either side of the clamp till it comes loose. It is probably stuck on pretty hard so try hiting it with a hammer using a block of wood to stop it damaging the clamp. The back box is just held onto the car by the rubber mounts, slide these off and then onto the old backbox. When putting the old one back on (providing the pipes still match) put them together, smear exhaust paste all over them (use loads) then do the clamp back up over the join.

Oli

Cheers for the replies people, well it will have to be a short term fix for now unfortuately.. just drove myself ( very noisly) down the halfords and got some exhaust putty, I have done the above but the pipes dont match... the original back box wont meet up with the pipe, I have tried bodging a piece of pipe off the old one as this would make it reach, but its not happenin!!

Patches

sorted! with some help from DaveW ( again,,,) who had the strength to make the 2 ends meet lol

cheers Dave x

Michelle :P

Edited by Patches

DaveW

the dodgy rusty back box fell off thats all, another back box is on tho you need a new system soon B)

M@tt

thats weird exactly the same thing happened to our 106 yesterday B) in exactly the same place on the exhaust

pug_ham

This is a common point of failure for the 205 exhausts, seems to be a good point for moisture to gather & rust the pipe through.

Dave, strength... :blush:He has the strength of two small boys, which is what he'd like. :wacko:

Graham.

Patches

knew someone would like that :blush:

Sign in to follow this