• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kate205gti

I Need An Idoits Guide Please? :)

kate205gti

last time i attempted this resulted in severe paranoia and me driving 15 miles to the workshop at 3am in my dressing gown after being reminded that id used too thin a wire and it could melt and catch fire! :D:blush:

going to attempt it again properly this time as im not 100% convinced my fans coming on when its meant to! and dont want to cook my car :(

please can someone explain what gauge wire to use and where to stick it please :D ive already bought a 3 pin switch to use :)

thankyou very much! :D

richard

Kate ive done this......(and its still working!)

Using 27amp cable which is OTT....with 15amp fuse by the fan switch brown plug and another inside the car.

Have a 30amp toggle switch sitting under the cubby hole bit.

Connect it to 3 and 5 on that switch for the high speed fan (i assume you want to use the high speed circuit)

Simple as that really. Although you may want to use a relay if you use it a lot. As Dino says i dont drive fast enough in mine i dont have it on that much really apart from hot weather.

Dont really need to use it, but since the head gasket went its more for peace of mind.

smckeown

i assumed you always had to use a relay.

mfield

Probably a really bad way to wire it up but in the past ive just run the power from the fan straight to the batt, then run the earth of the fan to a swicth in the dash with a earth wire from the switch to the steering coloum. I just used the same guage wire as the fan already had.

boombang

I always use relays myself!

Just made the circuit up for the twin fans on the rallycar and will have an aux switch for the navigator - means only minimal current going through the bulkhead.

pdd144c

I used a relay on mine, live from fuse box by the battery to one side of the relay, then off to the fans and earth the return on the body somewhere. All using 'thick' wire.

Run a ignition switched feed to a switch in the dash and then out to the relay. Earth the other side to the body again. Any gauge wire will be fine for this.

Then all you need to do is remember to turn it on when required!

VisaGTi16v

hmm not sure whether to be worried or not now! On mine I simple ran some wire thats only about 2mm thick. Three bits of it so fast and slow triggers and an earth straight off the plug that goes into the radiator sensor. Then in the side of my dash I split the earth one in 2 and connected them up to 2 toggle switches, one for slow speed, one for fast. Ive had it like this all season and use the fan a lot at events but now wondering if it will ignite heh, got no relays or anything in there

Rob_the_Sparky
i assumed you always had to use a relay.

Don't have to but saves finding a high power switches and running heavy wires long distances round the car. However, I would always fit an in-line fuse otherwise a short could result in a fire.

Rob

ablister

yeah, the whole point of a relay is to take the load of the switch ie you only need a small circuit to switch on something larger

Guest RickGTIBaker

fanswitch.jpg

There you go, simple terms.

Use the dash switch as a switch to earth, so if it does rub through, the fan would just, come on solid lol.

Edited by RickGTIBaker

ada205

I've always put the fan on a switch in all my gti's, and have always done it like this...Just connect cable to batt+, put an in-line 15amp fuse as close as possible to this connection, make a hole in the middle of the gromit that lives in the hole in bulkhead thats used in early cars for the reverse gear select cable(assuming you have later box with no cable), run cable from fuse through gromit and connect to switch, run return from switch back trough gromit and connect to fan. As long as you use cable and a switch thats rated higher than the fuse, and the in-line fuse is as close as possible to where the cable connects to the battery, all will be ok. I normally use 30amp cable and switch. Also, it's easier to remove gromit, or get a new one of the right size, and feed the wires through the gromit while its out of the bulkhead.

Edited by ada205

pugrallye

Yes fit relay, dont copy peugeots lazy method of wiring up a car and they wonder why they catch fire, lol

Rob_the_Sparky

They catch fire due to a lack fuses, nothing to do with a lack of relay.

tom_m

there is a fuse in the standard fan setup! if you take the positive feed from the positive distribution block like the standard set-up the fan is protected by a 15 amp fuse in there, no need to add anymore!

Sign in to follow this