• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob_the_Sparky

Car Covers

Rob_the_Sparky

Thinking of getting a couple for my cars while they are parked up but don't want to get something that rapidly blows off/scratches paint and/or traps water.

Anyone got any experiences with them?

Cheers

Rob

Beastie

I've never tried outdoor covers on anything but unrestored, shabby cars so I can't comment specifically on those. I use indoor nylon covers regularly and wouldn't be without them. For outdoor storage I'm really impressed with the "tent" style covers which fit around the car without touching it. One of my customers has kept a MK2 Jag in one of these for two winters in a row and it shows no sign of deteriorating any more rapidly than similar vehicles which are garaged.

Baz

Yup, 'Carcoon' or like ones are best but uber expensive and a pain if you get the car in and out fairly often. In my experience the ones that touch the car move around, and sweat underneath so do more damage than it's worth. Give it a good polish now and then, keep it clen and they'll be ok outside IMO.

pug_ham

I've also got one of the coverzone ones for mine, I got it from them though ebay a few years ago for a Spaxo as the difference in diamensions is minimal & it was less than £50.

I've got them for mates at work for their Boxsters & they are well happy, infact I'm waiting for them to get some more Boxster ones in stock to place another order.

I'm after another now as I'm sick of washing my black GTi & then it raining before I use it again so its always dirty. :angry:

Might ask for a group buy discount. :)

Graham.

richard

Im interested if you are.

Rob_the_Sparky

One of my cars is outside and one under a car port so the saraha won't be much good for me (the £49.95 one).

I presume everyone has the Voyger (mid range and about £60) one but they only give it a 6 for rain versus 9 for rain for the monsoon (about £100).

Rob

P.S. Seeing as I need two of course I'm up for a group buy!

richard

I want the monsoon one personally...its out in the sun most of the day so anything to stop the bleaching or lacquer going would be good.

d-9

The cheap halfords ones are crap. (you did ask for bad experiences...)

maturin23

I'm up for a cover too.

Graham perhaps you might start a new thread in 'Group buys'?

cheers

Ian

Rob_the_Sparky
The cheap halfords ones are crap. (you did ask for bad experiences...)

Yep, just as helpful. The wife had seen them in Halfords but I'm always wary about stuff from there (apart from their pro tools which are actually good!)

Rob

I want the monsoon one personally...its out in the sun most of the day so anything to stop the bleaching or lacquer going would be good.

Not sure for me, maybe one monsoon and one voyger as one of my cars is under a car port it is fairly dry, mostly cats and dirt to protect it from.

ada205

I'm fanatical when it comes to keeping my cars clean, and over the years car covers have become as big an obsession for me as polishing and waxing. I've always used the more expensive, lightweight one's you can get from Argos without any problems. My Lazer has spent most it's last 3 years under one, and the paint is mint, though think the silly amount of wax on the car helps when using covers. A mate of mine brought a cheap, heavy cover from Argos though, and after a few months last winter, it completely wrecked his bonnet, and top of his wings where the cover had rubbed.

As for the group buy, if this goes ahead, then i will def have a Monsoon, and pos a Voyager too.

pug_ham

I'll give them a call for prices & ask about a group buy next week but the shipping might be awkward as it'll all be to different addresses unless they are all sent to one person & then they send them on to each person but this would add to the cost imo & might make a group buy pointless unless they are offering them at a substantially reduced price.

My current cover is a voyager as the car is garaged but I was going to get another the same seeing as the car gets used once a week at least but I'll see what the price difference is before i decide.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this