• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob_the_Sparky

Odd Slipping Clutch

Rob_the_Sparky

My clutch generally appears fine, will take full power to the limit in 2nd, but occasionally slips.

Examples:

doing about 60mph in 5th on the MWay this morning, road clears, I boot it and it slips.

Hard start from stationary, it slips like crazy (not surprising) and smells nasty - only did this once!

Just as clutch is let out it slips for a few moments after pedal released, then catches and is OK to red line.

I'm pondering whether this is just a worn clutch or maybe oil. Any suggestions?

Other clue is that the clutch pedal is very jerky, high friction stick/slip sort of way. I guess a clutch cable is needed but not done it yet, however seems unlikely to me that this is connected to the slippage.

Rob

Sandy

Oil leak from the dizzy?

welshpug

soundls like clutch cable isnt releasing properly, try a new one as they are pennies considering the cost of clutch replacement.

jackherer

sounds like my old 8v when the crank seal was leaking. it took a long time before it was totally undriveable but when I finally took the gearbox off it had a thick layer of oil all over the bellhousing so had obviously been leaking for a long time.

Grim.Badger

My clutch wore out a few months ago and if mine was typical I can't see it being a worn clutch as there was no jerkyness to it, and it would only lose some of it's power when you booted it until it was on the verge of death.

Take the flywheel cover off and see if you can see any oil, it should be completly clean. It could be leaking from the crankshaft seal if there is oil.

Also as Welshpug said check the cable but I'd check the arm movement as well.

Edited by Grim.Badger

Rob_the_Sparky

Can the crankshaft seal be fixed without striping the engine bottom end?

I'll put a new cable on anyway as the pedal ain't nice!

Rob

Sandy

Yes, but the box/flywheel have to come off obviously and it isn't easy!

welshpug

yep, crank seal can be done in situ, gearbox off of course!

check the movement of the clutch arm while you've got the cable off the pivors can seize up, excess friction here can accelarate cable wear

Rob_the_Sparky
Yes, but the box/flywheel have to come off obviously and it isn't easy!

Oh goody! Think it will wait until really bad then...

welshpug

i wouldnt, you risk ruining the flywheel... :D

Rob_the_Sparky

That would be just such a good excuse to fit something lighter!

saveloy

If it is slipping Rob, then it's going to be a friction plate issue. If it was oil contaminated then it would slip all the time. The jerkiness could be a damaged/worn release bearing. Is there any noise?

Try holding the car at about 4.5K, just under maximum torque and then boot it. If it slips, I'd say it's conclusive: change the clutch.

And lighten the flywheel while your at it! :blink:

jackherer
If it is slipping Rob, then it's going to be a friction plate issue. If it was oil contaminated then it would slip all the time.

mine didnt slip all the time, it took weeks before it got to that stage and the bellhousing had a thick layer of oil when I finally took the gearbox off (phyr used that gearbox when he did his turbo conversion to give you some idea of how long ago it was...)

Anthony
mine didnt slip all the time, it took weeks before it got to that stage and the bellhousing had a thick layer of oil when I finally took the gearbox off

I think about every 8v gearbox I've ever removed has been plastered with oil and sludge inside the bellhousing!

jackherer
I think about every 8v gearbox I've ever removed has been plastered with oil and sludge inside the bellhousing!

nothing like this one though I bet, I've got at least 15 gearboxes here so I've seen a fair sample of them... ask phyr how long it took him to clean it up, he'll remember it well I assure you!

Rob_the_Sparky

Clutch pedal feel horrid so am replacing the cable this weekend but the clutch itself shows no sign of any jerkiness. Pedal feels like my 306 did with a duff cable...

Rob

mikey_p

I know I'm resurecting this from the dead but I wanted to know what the problem was in the end as my car seems to be having very similar symptoms.

Basically pulling away it feels like it bites, then slips, then bites again. But driving around doesn't seem to be a problem. However I had a mate to look at it and give it a test drive, and when he booted it it definatly started slipping. It's a very odd feeling though.

I have now got a replacement clutch and my cars booked in (im lazy I know :) ). But after reading this thread have wondered if I have made a mistake. Also it started happening after I topped up with oil, but I managed to spill a bit into the engine. It's probably a coinsidence but after people mentioning here that it could be oil causing the slippage it has got me thinking.

Apologese for the resurection and thread highjack, but I'm just trying to avoid the repost police B).

Sign in to follow this