• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
christopher

How To Slice Cylinder Head Up

christopher

I have a scrap cylinder head and was planning to cut it up into slices to see how much it can be ported.

Has anyone done this and suggest the best way to do this? Except a jigsaw or a hacksaw :)

Rippthrough
I have a scrap cylinder head and was planning to cut it up into slices to see how much it can be ported.

Has anyone done this and suggest the best way to do this? Except a jigsaw or a hacksaw :)

Know anyone with a bandsaw?

You could also try using silicon to make a reverse mould of the ports to examine it that way, it'd be easier than a hacksaw :lol:

Edited by Rippthrough

welshpug

bandsaw would be best bet, a hacksaw would take you hours

I see where youre coming from, as you'd be able to see where the water and oilways are

notamondayfan

be sure to post loads of pickys too mate!

M@tt

get down a local machine/engineering shop who'll have one of those mechanical hacksaw things. Someone will probably do it in their lunch hour for a tenner

Rippthrough

Pity you're in Denmark, I've got both here you could have used :D

Plasma cutter?

Edited by Rippthrough

M@tt

which head is that you want to cut up? cos i'm sure i've got a pic of a mi16 head sliced up

Ahl

A cutting wheel! :D

Beastie
Plasma cutter?

If the head is less than 1 inch thick it should work - or else it's going to be one hell of a plasma cutter :D

Another vote for "bandsaw" here. You need someone with a fairly coarse blade though - my steel cutting blade would soon clog cutting an aluminium head apart.

Rippthrough
If the head is less than 1 inch thick it should work - or else it's going to be one hell of a plasma cutter :D

Another vote for "bandsaw" here. You need someone with a fairly coarse blade though - my steel cutting blade would soon clog cutting an aluminium head apart.

I'd imagine the castings are less than an inch, after all you need to go through to the coolant passengers.

mfield
I'd imagine the castings are less than an inch, after all you need to go through to the coolant passengers.

Tbh it would more than likely melt the head in a rather gash a slaggy mess

sonofsam

Use lots of Talo ( a candle will suffice ) if bandsawing.

EDIT-Well not too much so the blade falls off :D

Edited by sonofsam

Beastie
Use lots of Talo ( a candle will suffice ) if bandsawing.

EDIT-Well not too much so the blade falls off :D

Really good point. Somehow I'd forgotten that one along the way somewhere! Just need to find a clothes peg for my nose before I start bandsawing then :blush:

christopher

Its actually for a TU24 1294cc Euro Rallye cylinder head. I have seen some pictures on here where people have done this. The idea is of course that I get a good cross section so I can see the limits of the oil and coolant passages ad well as measure the exact diagmeters of the port, graduation and the angle of attack :)

Sign in to follow this