• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
inferno

Air Vents For Filter And To Cool Aircon Components

inferno

despite what people say about the mi 205 having enough airflow i dissagree. i want to aid cool airflow around the filter via either bonnet or wing vents. also id like a similar vent to cool the aircon drier unit, or at least encourage hot air to flow quicker from under the bonnet.

so has anyone succesfully made a nice job of venting there bonnet/wings? it needs to be subtle, no silly scooby scoops please! could some1 photo shop some ideas on a sorrento gti? any pics of what yourve done too please...

also any info in the technicalities of altering under bonnet airflow and affects on performance...

engine killer

i am pretty sure my poor english is not good enough to tell you what i understand from the below articles. so you may subscript autospeed.com and read all their technical articles.

dual pipe induction part 1

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2846/article.html

dual pipe induction part 2

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2847/article.html

ram-air revelations

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2518/article.html

modifying under-car airflow part 1

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2455/article.html

modifying under-car airflow part 2

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2456/article.html

i personally think the Lancia Delta Integrale Evolution 2's bonnet vents looks best with 205 auto-bonnet.

enjoy your read.

sonofsam

If you want nice and subtle get yourself down to cool louvres to get your bonnet or wing stamped.

http://www.coollouvres.com/

I will be paying a visit there before my spray job to get some vents to suck all the hot air out over the turbo/manifold.

jackherer

ahh, you mean 'speed holes', you can either annoy some members of the mafia so they shoot holes in your car or you can make them yourself using a pick axe...... I saw this on TV :D

Rob_the_Sparky

Some foward facing louvres in the wing behind the indicator should feed the filter nicely (assuming it is by the battery) and be pretty subtle.

Also I seem to remember someone getting more air through by removing the rubber seal to the bonnet along the back of the engine bay, not sure how well it worked though.

pdd144c
Some foward facing louvres in the wing behind the indicator should feed the filter nicely (assuming it is by the battery) and be pretty subtle.

Also I seem to remember someone getting more air through by removing the rubber seal to the bonnet along the back of the engine bay, not sure how well it worked though.

Also lets any rain in straight away... They work alot better the other way, even if its just to let heat dissipate.

TEKNOPUG

I have the rubber strip removed and the heat/sound proofing. No idea what difference it has made.

I deally you need a vent for air to enter at the front of the bonnet and another to exit at the back. Best to fit bonnet pins though if you go this way.

Rob_the_Sparky
Also lets any rain in straight away... They work alot better the other way, even if its just to let heat dissipate.

And a bonnet scoop doesn't? Was trying to get cold air in to the inlet without having a dirty great scoop in the bonnet.

Rom

My bonnet was done by Cool Lourves before i had the car.

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/2126/bonnetventsol5.jpg

The centre is blanked off inside..i guess due to the fact its right above plugs..and probably didnt like starting after some rain :D

After my Mi is in, im thinking of getting the wing stamped..not sure yet though

edit by cybernck: big image!

bales

I used to go to a lot of VW shows and they always used to use transporter (the van) vents in the wings and I thought they always looked really subtle and really suited the cars.

wing_vent_bumper.jpg

tom_m
I have the rubber strip removed and the heat/sound proofing. No idea what difference it has made.

I deally you need a vent for air to enter at the front of the bonnet and another to exit at the back. Best to fit bonnet pins though if you go this way.

integrale stylee! :P

sonofsam

I think one of these would bode quite well, if you could find some where to put it that is.

duct002.jpg

Super Josh
despite what people say about the mi 205 having enough airflow i dissagree. i want to aid cool airflow around the filter via either bonnet or wing vents. also id like a similar vent to cool the aircon drier unit, or at least encourage hot air to flow quicker from under the bonnet.

Why do you want to cool the A/C Drier unit? It's the Condenser that needs air flow and it gets it the same way as the rad does, through the front grille. People don't complain about the Mi heat problems, it should be fine. If the standard installation is fine for the turbo boys, then you shouldn't have any problems. Unless you have something else wrong with your installation.

I thought that you said you will be putting this car up for sale soon? Won't having bonnet vents make it less desirable to the masses?

Josh

Gentrix
duct002.jpg

just there could you get those inlets? I searched the other day and found nothing

inferno

yes im sure it might make it undesirable should i sell it, which is why i was looking for something suttle and functionali think i may and up running a duct from behind the spots up to the relevent places.

did u have aircon in your 205 josh? have u felt how hot it gets around the drier unit?

Guest Megster

Maybe a bit extreme for what you want, but I lowered the rad about three inches, opened up the airflow through the lower grill by removing the bit of blanking plastic and repcing the grill with mesh, put a small T16 style numberplate on the bottom of the front spoiler, removed the cross member between the two wings completely, cut away the empty fan housing on the righthandside, and cut four large holes into the leading edge of the bonnet. There is now a massive amount of airflow into the carb area.

Follow the link for a pic.

http://www.photographysmith.co.uk/motorspo...l/pict10197.htm

Cheers - aj

Henry Yorke

My rad is dropped too to get airflow into the bay as well as to get boost pipes over the top of it. It may be easier with some Ecosse brake duct vents going up to the engine bay.

I thought the aircon was up for sale too? And if the car will be too, then I would not necessarily worry too much about it. IIRC it also had a battered bonnet, so i guess you will be looking to replace that too (if you haven't already). Why not put an auto bonnet on with a duct under it like the 306 DTurbos if you need to get air to the back of the engine? Maybe a Diesel double fan may help or put the low speed switch onto the high speed fan to increase air flow?

All sounds a load of faff to me for not a lot and I have not heard of underbonnet temp problems on an N/A 205 before. Bonnet mods tend to be for the carb people.

inferno

my theory is the higher rolling road results were from more air on the filter with the bonnet open... so i want to get a bit more air to the filter. the aircon drier gives out a seriouse amount of heat, so cooling it would only be a good thing right? there was no intrest in the aircon, so im modding it to fit the mi16 engine now. also i have replaced the battered bonnet.as well as a few other bits n bobs.

of course if i sell im going to worry about it... until it sells ill be improving what i can , ie im refitting the aircon pipes and wiring, and want to try to feed cool air to the filter!

Sign in to follow this