• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Leon C

1.6 Gti Wheels On A 1.1

Leon C

My 1.1 trio needs new rubber all round. However the original tyres are feeble 145x80 r13 that aren't exactly brilliant for road holding and grip. Could I get away with 14" 1.6 GTI alloys with 185x60 tyres without any adverse effects to the handling and steering, or rubbing?

Or could I just fit 155x70s r13s to the original wheels instead (don't know whether they are wide enough to except them)?

bren_1.3

lmao so youve noticed the poor road grip the 1.1 steelies give to?! :):lol: i can get mine to understeer at will, with large chunks of taiwanese granite like rubber on the front.

shouldnt be any problems with the 1600 alloys. im about to do the same as you and everything was ok at standard (stilt like) ride height, when test fitted.

Ahl

1.6's have a higher offset than most 205s. That means although the wheels are wider, they'll sit further in on a non-1.6.

Making the track narrower won't be the best for handling, though it'll probably be 'alright'.

pug_ham

1.6 wheels are offet et25 & the et of your steelies should be stamped on the flange where it bolts up.

From the number of base model 205's & XS's I've seen over the years with them fitted they should be fine. The stilt like ride height should prevent any rubbing, steering will be slightly heavier & handling won't really change but you will have more grip due to larger contact patch.

Graham.

Casanova

Sorry to drag up an old topic. I have put 1.6 GTi wheels on my XS and am having a few rubbing issues. Firstly, they rub on the rear valance with people in the back (not too worried but it would be nice if it didn't). Secondly, and rather more seriously, I noticed that on at least one side the tyre appears to be rubbing the copper brake pipe at full lock (it's got a shiny polished patch). Has anyone else suffered this? Which is easier/better - trying to move the pipe out of the way or space out the wheels? The tyres are nearly new Yoko A539s.

Cheers,

§

pug_ham
Firstly, they rub on the rear valance with people in the back (not too worried but it would be nice if it didn't).
Sounds like your beam is possibly in need of a rebulild or at the least new rear mounts unless its just that the rear valence has been subjected to car park adjustment.
Secondly, and rather more seriously, I noticed that on at least one side the tyre appears to be rubbing the copper brake pipe at full lock (it's got a shiny polished patch). Has anyone else suffered this? Which is easier/better - trying to move the pipe out of the way or space out the wheels?

Not heard anyone mention it happen to them before but if the pipes have been replaced (very likely) & its not catching the bracket for the flexi move the pipe out of the way so it clears. The pipes should run close to the inner wing.

Graham.

Casanova
Sounds like your beam is possibly in need of a rebuild or at the least new rear mounts unless its just that the rear valence has been subjected to car park adjustment.

The rear valence seems to be where it should be. From reading on this site it looks like the rear beam is a bugger of a job - how can I diagnose its condition? I haven't noticed any noises or abnormalities in the rear suspension. Which rear mounts (sorry to be ignorant) - where the beam mounts to the car? Again, how to diagnose a problem in this area?

Not heard anyone mention it happen to them before but if the pipes have been replaced (very likely) & its not catching the bracket for the flexi move the pipe out of the way so it clears. The pipes should run close to the inner wing.

Thanks for your help, I'll just coax the pipe out of the way then next time I'm fiddling with the car. The rubbing patch is nowhere near the bracket for the flexi-hose and I've a feeling the pipe can go a fair bit closer to the inner wing.

§

pug_ham
The rear valence seems to be where it should be. From reading on this site it looks like the rear beam is a bugger of a job - how can I diagnose its condition? I haven't noticed any noises or abnormalities in the rear suspension. Which rear mounts (sorry to be ignorant) - where the beam mounts to the car? Again, how to diagnose a problem in this area?
The beam rebuild isn't as bad as it looks but if your beam is beyond a simple bearings & seals replacement it can get expensive. :D

The rear beam mounts are one either side underneath the boot floor, usually rubber & they split in the middle where the two pieces are glued together. (group A mounts in picture below).

rearbeamrefurb37.jpg

To diagnose if they are split, get underneath with a big screwdriver & try to move the rear support arm side to side. If your car has recently been MOT'd they should be Ok as these are an easy failure point.

Graham.

Casanova

Thanks for the info - I checked out the rear mounts which seem OK. I think the car might have been lowered by a previous owner (have started a separate topic on restoring it to standard ride height).

Thought I would add here that the brake pipe happily bent closer to the inner wing and no longer rubs - but its something for other people who are fitting bigger wheels for the first time to keep a lookout for!

§

Marlon

Is there any way of keeping the correct offset if I fit some 1.6 alloys to my GT as the 165 r13s are quite narrow. but handling is the most important thing to me.

Edited by Marlon

Casanova

I prefer the handling on mine since fitting the bigger wheels. With 185/60/14s it hangs on better round corners and rolls less. They fill the arches well too :(

§

Ahl

The handling would be even better if they were at the right offset though. :ph34r:

You can always fit some spacers to gain the extra offset.

Casanova

I don't understand. The GTi wheels sit further out than the original wheels for the car, surely spacing them is only going to take it further from its intended setting? Sorry if I'm being dumb... :ph34r:

§

Marlon
1.6's have a higher offset than most 205s. That means although the wheels are wider, they'll sit further in on a non-1.6.

Making the track narrower won't be the best for handling, though it'll probably be 'alright'.

This is what made me ask the question, the track is narrower according to this psot, if it was wider I would be less worried, although the handling difference is probably very small either way. Do they sell spacers then or do i have to get them made up?

Edited by Marlon

Casanova

I haven't taken any pics since I changed the wheels but I could do so tomorrow and put a visual comparison up, before and after. The old wheels were miles inside the arches!

§

Edited by Casanova

Sign in to follow this