• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jrod

Refitting Boot

Jrod

Ok well I've repaied my boot and am refitting it, Like f*ck can I get it to sit straight. Is there a method to doing it?

Paintguy

Only patience and a bit of fiddling about.

Golden rule is always to put things back as near as possible to where they came off:- You can usually see marks around bolt holes etc where the nuts and washers have marked the paint in their original position. Make sure you line up with these marks when putting it back together, and you'll not be far wrong.

Don't have the gas struts connected whilst you're trying to adjust it. Their force will push it out of alignment. Either get an assistent to hold it open whilst you're tweaking and doing up the bolts, get yourself a proper adjustable prop to hold it open, or improvise with a length of wood or a sweeping brush :wacko:

Another method would be to leave the bolts fairly slack, close the boot, and adjust it to the right position. Then get inside and tighten up the bolts.

Jrod

Thanks for that, got a friend to sit in the boot, I got it all in place then he did them up.

not to self, NEVER remove boot again. :wacko:

Sign in to follow this