• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonmurgie

Rear Beams

Jonmurgie

I need to replace the rear beam on my 306 DTurbo and as I now have the GTi6 suspension everywhere else I thought that maybe I should fit a GTi6 rear beam... question is to those who may know, are they a straight swap on the 306?

I realise it means swapping over to rear calipers but that's good as I've just done a deal on some GTi6 front brakes too (maybe I should buy a GTi6 I hear you all say!).

Another question, are Phase 2 and Phase 1 GTi6 beams the same? Will either fit my DTurbo?

See, I don't knokw nofink about de 306 init!

Cheers

Jon

Anthony

As far as I'm aware they're all a straight swap but I've never personally done it, although I know that the design is fairly similar to a 205/309 beam - GTi-6 beam is 20mm torsion bars and 24mm ARB btw :ph34r:

Jonmurgie

Cheers Anthony...

Now I've just heard a rumor that the XSi beam is the same as a GTi6 one, anyone know if that's true or not?

Anthony
Now I've just heard a rumor that the XSi beam is the same as a GTi6 one, anyone know if that's true or not?

From what I know, all of the "sports suspension" beams - so that's XSi, S16, and GTi-6 - are the same, in atleast they're 20mm TB's, 24mm ARB's and disk braked with ABS. Whether they are identical though I wouldn't like to say, but to all intents and purposes I would suspect any of them would do you fine.

There are disk braked beams out there that are not "sports suspension" spec though - certainly that is the case with the GLX 1.8 16v models - so be careful if you're buying a beam that's already been removed from the car

Oh, and 306 beams are failing left, right, and center as well (especially the older ones) so do the same checks as you would on a 205/309 beam prior to buying and get the newest and lowest mileage beam you can :ph34r:

willxs

me and my mate fitted a gti-6 beam onto his 306 xs (1.6) no problems at all, straight swap. all he needed was the handbrake cables.

welshpug

yup, the bare basics of the beam (tube, mounting points and trailing arms) are all the same but obvious differences like TB's and ARB's differ.

if you get a complete unit you can just bolt it straight on and hook up the flexi hoses to the metal pipes on the underbody. swap the handbrake cables for a new pair (not worth putting second hand ones on for the sake of £15 a pair)

and off ya go!

Rob_the_Sparky

No brake balance issue in swapping from rear drums to rear disks?

welshpug

wouldnt have thought so seeing as discs require more pressure to generate the same braking force.

Rob_the_Sparky

Thats my point, discs are different so surely you need to adjust for that?

willxs

dint have to adjust anything when we did it.

he was already running the 6' brakes and it just worked fine....

smighall

Ah, that makes sense now Jon. I saw your post on the gti6 forum. Yes they are a straight swap, just nee to mate up the brake hoses. And as with the 205 i think the 306 with dums only has one brake line going to the rear, so you either need to split it, or run new pips for the split system setup.

Sign in to follow this