• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bjørn

Removing Weight Of The 205

Guest Bjørn

Hi!

I'm starting on my new 205 project this fall. My first goal is to get the car as light as possible. I've been thinking og carbon fibre og fibreglass hood and trunk, and a carbon/fibreglass dash and plexi windows. Thoose are the main thing the ways alot. Are there anything i'm missing? I have been on the idea to cut out the inner part of the door and of course plexi windows

And how many kg's can i get of a 205?

This is my first 205, so i'm not an expert. I have been driving a 106 GTI for the last 2 years.

Please just write in where i can buy diffrent things, as i'm new to the 205 game B)

Here is the new one:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/Bj0rN--/1.jpg

And here is some of the 106, just for the look :ph34r:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/Bj0rN...astrand012a.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/Bj0rN...olnedgang2a.jpg

Edited by Bjørn

maturin23

Having looked at that picture I'd say you've probably got it as light it could be, short of an acid dip :ph34r:

Batfink

i'm getting my shell acid dipped :wacko:

maturin23

It's probably only the paint that's holding mine together :wacko:

jim205GTI

Off topic but those white speedlines really suit the 106 in that blue :wacko:

welshpug

fibreglass/carbon wings and bonnet. aftermarket pattern bumpers (lighter than o.e. items and often plastic thather than glassfibre)

and the obvious polycarb windows, leave the dash off, lightweight buckets.

one area not looked at that often is the wheels, a good set of steelies can often be lighter than the original alloy wheels.

Rippthrough
one area not looked at that often is the wheels, a good set of steelies can often be lighter than the original alloy wheels.

And the calipers + discs. Wonder what the price of an ally beam tube would be compared to carbon panels? It must weight a fair bit, along with the trailing arms.

welshpug

hell yeah!! they weigh a tonne, but I wouldnt really want to remove weight from the rear end!!

i've got a spare knackered tube...

brembo brake calipers save a bit, set on ebay right now

Rippthrough
hell yeah!! they weigh a tonne, but I wouldnt really want to remove weight from the rear end!!

i've got a spare knackered tube...

brembo brake calipers save a bit, set on ebay right now

Taking it from the the trailing arms should help the suspension work better - more grip

NoodleVille

mayb more grip but wouldnt removing weight from the rear end make the infamous spinning pug on let off problem a lot worse :) or not lol

smckeown
mayb more grip but wouldnt removing weight from the rear end make the infamous spinning pug on let off problem a lot worse :) or not lol

it's not that noticable actually.

tom_m

i shouldn't think so, yes you're removing weight that could provide traction, but less weight = less weight transfer too

i could be wrong tho, i'm no vehicle dynamics expert! :lol:

Guest Bjørn

I don't think that making the rear beam lighter would be so smart. Because it's heavier in front, so my plan is to take most weight in the front, so the balance is getting better. Do any know what the balance is for 205 with a mi16 engine in?

And smckeown, how is the balance in your car, have you weight it?

maturin23

You don't really want to reduce the front-end weight bias to much in an FWD car - 50/50 works great with RWD but the same weight distribution in an FWD would lead to serious front-end traction issues.

Rob_the_Sparky

I'd be VERY impressed if you could reach 50/50 on a 205 without adding weight to the rear...

cybernck
Do any know what the balance is for 205 with a mi16 engine in?

my mi16 (stripped and with a full cage), some fuel, battery in boot floor - weighed 930 kg.

about 560 kg's front and 370 kg's rear, which is about 60:40.

Sign in to follow this