• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie

Storing A 205gti

Richie

Hello !

basically, im struggling to sell my 205gti for a decent price, and if it fails to go for my asking price then im going to keep it as its worth a lot more to me than $$$ really.

Im considering storing in a garage for, i dont know, 18 months maybe. What precautions would i need to take? ive done a search but it revealed nothing,

Thx in advance

Rich

Edited by Richie

Rob_the_Sparky

Take the battery off, otherwise it will go flat and lead acid do not like deep discharge. Also worth charging it from time to time.

If you can (and care about the tyres) worth putting it on stands to prevent flat spots on the tyres. Having said that I've stored cars without doing this and had no problems!

Not a bad idea to leave windows open a crack if the garage is dry. The interior can sweat if it is kept closed up.

However, you can get away with none of the above (apart from the battery)!

Rob

roland rat

give it a good wash and wax before sticking it into storage.agree with rob regaurding the tyres,why not buy a set of steelies for the time being and store the alloys separatly.

sonofsam

"Dont expose it to direct sunlight and dont feed it after midnight"!

Richie

Thanks for the advice dudes, theres less work to do than i imagined. Its future maybe tucked up in garage then.

Thanks for the advice dudes, theres less work to do than i imagined. Its future maybe tucked up in garage then. Should i start it from time to time?

What kind of problems may occur with it being just "sat" and not used?

maturin23

The other obvious is don't leave the handbrake on - the shoes/pads will be stuck to the drum/disk.

We once stored a mates Fiat 127 (75hp Sport - great fun car at the time!) in a barn and a year later the rear brakes were a mess.

Baz

Also make sure it has plenty of ani-freeze in it, and try to run it from time to time, or at least crank it over.

Daxed

Yep, the previous comments all make good sense. Keep her turned over and keep an eye on the humidity of the storage location.

Why are you contemplating doing this?

Richie
Yep, the previous comments all make good sense. Keep her turned over and keep an eye on the humidity of the storage location.

Why are you contemplating doing this?

Basically because i really love my 205, and i've been trying to sell it on ebay and its not reaching a price that i want. I plan on owning another if i do sell, so im thinking i may aswell just store this one in my garage if i can't get any good money for it :) I wanted something more comfy, and just a change, so i got a 306 rallye which is a fantastic car.

calvinhorse

keep rotating the cam every now ang again so its not opening the same valve or you get a weak spring.

Rob_the_Sparky
The other obvious is don't leave the handbrake on - the shoes/pads will be stuck to the drum/disk.

We once stored a mates Fiat 127 (75hp Sport - great fun car at the time!) in a barn and a year later the rear brakes were a mess.

and I've seen stuck clutches on Triumphs (a git to free) but I have also had a 205 outside for 12+ months with no major hassles. Yeah the brakes stuck on a bit but not so bad and that should not be a problem in a garage that is dry.

Dream Weaver

The beam seized on mine from being stood for 12 months outside, then 12 months in the garage - not sure what you could do to avoid that though. :ph34r:

jim21070
The beam seized on mine from being stood for 12 months outside, then 12 months in the garage - not sure what you could do to avoid that though. :ph34r:

Pull it apart as per the guide on the main website, clean up and stuff the bearings full of fresh grease. Worth doing if you know the beam is OK otherwise.

If the bearings are at all dodgy, replace them. They are very cheap compared to a refurbed beam.

number2301

I remember seeing yours for sale when I was looking for a new one a couple of weeks ago and I thought at the time the pice advertised on PGAC seemed a bit high, never seen it mind, if it really is mint that could be a good price to someone with the money. Could you not just keep advertising it without dropping your asking price while you store it?

bren_1.3
The beam seized on mine from being stood for 12 months outside, then 12 months in the garage - not sure what you could do to avoid that though.

whack a couple of axle stands under the beam tube and take the cars weight off it.

NOsMAN

Maybe i should be paying attention to this and store it correctly :D Cos at the moment i've chucked the 205 TT in the garage and leaving it to rot. :) What damage will it cause if not stored properly?

pug_ham
What damage will it cause if not stored properly?

Even with it stored properly things can still seize.

I had mine stored for a couple of years & even with it on axle stands the caliper pistons seized from lack of use & I had to replace the calipers when I went to put it back on the road again.:P

Best way to store a car is on stands but driving it occasionally so everything gets moved & doesn't seize if at all possible imo.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this