• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
roland rat

150bhp Out Of A 8v?

roland rat
Of course, but not starting with the wanky low-comp motor you have... if you do want to go 8v then get a normal earlier spec motor and start there :)

haha!!but is it worth swapping for a supposed 8bhp?im feeling a sudden urge to buy a piece of jap crap instead of this frenchy s*ite box!!!! :)

it looks like the mi might be the engine of choice but im concerned about the oil surge problems they suffer. :(

Jonmurgie

The oil surge issue is marginal at best... some suffer and some don't.. mind didn't for over a year then I dented the sump being a twat and the next day it dropped a bearing so it was my own stupid fault, and I don't drive slowly on track :)

With regard to getting the earlier 1.9 8v it's not about the 8bhp it is supposed to have over the later spec, it's that it's easier to tune it to 150bhp :)

petert

The XU9JAZ is 9.2:1 (via different pistons) so doesn't need an overly large skim to get it over 10:1. Approx. 1-1.2mm from memory. 150hp is certainly achievable with aftermarket ECU and std. inlet. I'd strongly recommend a thinner head gasket however, as this improves squish distance and CR at the same time.

The other side of the coin is that you have Motronic 1.3. So an Mi16 upgrade is dead easy. Just swap the ECU and add three wires.

roland rat
The oil surge issue is marginal at best... some suffer and some don't.. mind didn't for over a year then I dented the sump being a twat and the next day it dropped a bearing so it was my own stupid fault, and I don't drive slowly on track :)

With regard to getting the earlier 1.9 8v it's not about the 8bhp it is supposed to have over the later spec, it's that it's easier to tune it to 150bhp :D

:( thanks for the info mate just what i needed but an mi is starting to look alot more promising.yeah ive seen you driving the sx you dont hang around,lol :)

The XU9JAZ is 9.2:1 (via different pistons) so doesn't need an overly large skim to get it over 10:1. Approx. 1-1.2mm from memory. 150hp is certainly achievable with aftermarket ECU and std. inlet. I'd strongly recommend a thinner head gasket however, as this improves squish distance and CR at the same time.

The other side of the coin is that you have Motronic 1.3. So an Mi16 upgrade is dead easy. Just swap the ECU and add three wires.

is it that easy to drop an mi in?if its just 3 wires i dont mind giving it a go!!!

Edited by roland rat

Miles

If anything the later Motronic car's make better book figures than the Jetronic car's which rarly make the 130 book figure so it's not all bad news.

Also if a Turbo engine's set up right they Rev very well, Only the std one's like the XU10 engine they run out of Puff in std form

petert

Yes, just three wires. For the knock sensor and idle motor.

Guest yaztromo

When I bought my 8v I had the engine rebuilt, gas flowed, with bigger valves and a lightened fly wheel. Like you I've got the full magnex system. I've got no rolling road figures but it certainly is much faster than it used to be. Gessing I'm squeezing out 140bhp by now. Only wish I'd put in a different cam.

So yeah I think you can easily achieve 150bhp :)

sorr

How often are you going to need 150 BHP? If it is not often, the occasional traffic light or back road blast, then what about feeding the engine some nitrous?

Far easier than any major engine work which once you start could end up costing you far more than £1K. I am just puting an Mi in mine and I am off the opinion they are so old now a rebuild is required. I too 'had' a £1K budget but left that behind quiet some time ago. It is all the daft little things that add up.

But if you do want more power all the time I would go the turbo route. I have started driving a turbo charged car while my 205 has been off the road and it is great. It is so happy to bumble about in old man mode then push the pedal and out comes the torque. No need to rev it hard just let Mr Torque pull you along. If I had not put so much cash into the Mi I would go the Turbo route and enjoy lazy but very usable power.

rutlandguy

Interesting thread this and as coincidence would have it the September issue of Practical Performance Car landed on my door mat this morning and features two tuned 205's. One of those featured is owned by Neil Desorgh how so the article says works for des-developments (anyone know if he is registered on this forum and what his forum name is?). The featured car was fitted with an Mi16 lump sporting 45mm dellortos, 270 piper cams, KMS ignition running 11.2:1 CR and churning out 192bhp. The interesting bit and on topic bit was that he was thinking of ditching the 16v head in favour of an 8v believing he can get the same power with a better spread of torque.

I'd be interested in PumaRacing's and others thoughts on put an 8v BV head on a std Mi16 bottom end. Can't imagine that any more power or torque would be available using the Mi16 bottom end as opposed to the std XU bottom end if all the induction components are the same?

Forgive me if this has been covered before!

smckeown

very interesting that. No neil doesn't frequent this forum, but is a regular over at psooc, his username is des_Mi16. His theory is interesting, he certainly knows his onions does neil. PeterT has posted flow comparisons of an mi16 vs BV 8v head before and the mi flowed significantly more. Can't see a PR BV head doing anything special over a normal BV head

boombang

Neal barely comes on here. He can be found on the 405 Mi forums and PSOOC - think as DESMi16

He's built 8 valves that come close to 190bhp still on a standard dizzy (was down to owners budget) so don't see why not!

Neal really does have a thing for 8 valvers though.

Also bear in mind that he'd be running a totally different cam spec compared to the Mi.

TEKNOPUG
i want to be different !!!! :) i really like the way an 8v drives and you dont see many mooded 8v's going round.so the kent cams a bit of a joke then?2.0 8v turbos cheap when you buy the engine put it seems quite a squezze under the bonnet and i bet its a pain in the arse to wire up and running tidy.i cant be without the car for long peroids of time as its my everyday driver.would try and slot a gti6/xsara vts engine in but thats also a lot of fabrication so its an 8v for me. :)

Nah, don't go the XU10 route unless you want to run really big boost. The engine you have is perfect. You just need a manifold and a turbo. The Motronic you have can be remapped for fuel and ignition. All the other bits are pretty cheap second hand.

Let me know if you decide to dump your engine.

rutlandguy
very interesting that. No neil doesn't frequent this forum, but is a regular over at psooc, his username is des_Mi16. His theory is interesting, he certainly knows his onions does neil. PeterT has posted flow comparisons of an mi16 vs BV 8v head before and the mi flowed significantly more. Can't see a PR BV head doing anything special over a normal BV head

I guess that the point Neil was trying to make in the PPC article, that a 8v BV Head flows enough air to deliver in excess of 192BHP and the inherent 8v head characteristics deliver a broader spread of torque. I say that's the best of both worlds, in that Dave (Puma Racing) implies you need an uprated bottom end on an Mi16 to make the most of the head. i.e. full race set-up - See the thread below:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=60103&hl=

Has anyone slapped a 8v BV Head on and Mi16 bottom end?

And if so what results have they achieved?

richystran

My 8v had 150.5bhp, it has gas flowed head a piper cam and twin 45's! It was a very sharp engine over 4000 rpm and mi16s could nt get away. I didnt do the work by i have receipts for £1800 for the work from pug performance.

Richy

petert
Has anyone slapped a 8v BV Head on and Mi16 bottom end?

And if so what results have they achieved?

I have, 2-3 yrs ago. Do search through the old topics and you'll find it. It had a highly modified head, Grp. A cam, etc. It was very nice to drive. Made peak power around 7100-7200, but would rev. to 7500 quite freely.

feb

My 1.9S (SBC fast road conversion) was RRed 145bhp at emerald last December.

The conversion was not cheap (previous owner had pistons etc changed as well at the same time) but the car is still pulling very well after 55k miles.

Alastairh

Personally i would do what henry did.

take a low compersion engine, wack on 406 turbo management etc, and jobs a good un.

If your dedicated enough you could bring it well under a grand, amybe even consider a tt manifold from 205parts?

Alastair

roland rat

:lol:

take a low compersion engine, wack on 406 turbo management etc, and jobs a good un.

If your dedicated enough you could bring it well under a grand, amybe even consider a tt manifold from 205parts?

Alastair

turbos just not my thing to be honest.think im going to strech the budget to £1500 and give the 8v lump a go!!! :D:)

smckeown

i have talked to a good few engine builders, if you want any advice on who i'd recommend pm me

roland rat

Alastair

how easy is it to modify my engine to run a 406 turbo?im just confused by all thw wiring!! :)

i have talked to a good few engine builders, if you want any advice on who i'd recommend pm me

thanks mate :D

sonofsam
how easy is it to modify my engine to run a 406 turbo?im just confused by all thw wiring!! :)

It looks confusing to begin with, but its probably all the 'hype' you have read about it on here

that makes you fearfull!

You only need 4 wires conected to get the engine running, just takes a bit time to find 'em thats all :D

As said though horses for courses.Depends on how invonvled you want to get with the build.

Sign in to follow this