• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smckeown

Oil Temp For Track/race 8v

smckeown

I'm interested in hearing what people's oil temp gets up to on an 8v track/race car. Together with what oil cooler you run and what grade of oil you are running.

I'm torn between running 40 or 50 grade oil

cheers

sean

phatgti

basically with proper oil if it goes much over 130 degrees it starts to break up - i use Castrol RS 10-60 on my race car and although i dont have an oil temp gauge yet i have no problems.

Spend the extra on oil and that will make all the difference, 9 row should be fine for track day use as you only want to stabilise the oil temp not cool it.

40 grade is not good enough, Valvoline do a high performance oil which is 10-50 and is good albeit quite dear - i originally ran my Mi16 on it before going to RS.

PS, the higher grade the oil the longer you have to wait to thrash it as its like syrup when it's cold.

smckeown

Silkoline race oil 40 grade will cope up to 120degrees. 50 grade to ~135 degrees i believe. Oilman on here recommends the lowest grade suitable for your engine to minimise friction loss (there were some other reasons also). I have been running the race oil 50 grade so far (as i had lots left over from the mi16). But am tempted to go 40 grade as i'm assuming with my 13row mocal oil cooler i will always be under 120 degrees

feb

I have seen the oil temp going up to the 3rd notch on track with a 13 row oil cooler and took it easy afterwards. I think that's about 110 degrees? That was with 10W-40 semi synth.

What 50 grade oil are you talking about?

As I understand the difference between a 10W-40 and a 10W-50 is that the latter can withstand higher temps whereas they both have same viscocity when cold.

Now that's strange as Shell's 10W-50 semi-synth says 'suitable for high mileage engines' whereas the 10W-40 doesn't mention anything.

Would there be any problem using 10W-50 in a rebuilt engine?

Edited by feb

Sandy

A proper accurate oil temp gauge can be a better investment than an oil cooler on all but the most highly tuned Peugeot engines. Over cooling the oil is more likely than overheating it.

phatgti

Would there be any problem using 10W-50 in a rebuilt engine?

None at all.

Sean, do you have a link to this 10-40 race oil? i'm dubious of such a thing as the temperatures race engines reach are higher than a road engine for obvious reasons.

TBH i don't know much about Silkolene, only RS - i use it in my engine and the equivelent in my gearbox.

petert

I use Shell Ultra Helix 15W-50. It's a full synthetic but only available in 20L drums. I've had it to 130 deg. in the Mi16x4 on a track day. In the race car I try to keep the oil around 100 deg. That ensures any unwanted moisture is evaporated. You don't want to over cool it. That's just as bad.

smckeown
Sean, do you have a link to this 10-40 race oil? i'm dubious of such a thing as the temperatures race engines reach are higher than a road engine for obvious reasons.

TBH i don't know much about Silkolene, only RS - i use it in my engine and the equivelent in my gearbox.

Here's oilman's quote from this thread

A race 5w-40 or 10w-40 will be capable of 120degC for prolonged periods.

A race 10w-50 or 15w-50 will be capable of 145degC for prolonged periods.

petert

Believe me when I say Shell Helix Ultra 15W-50 is top shelf! Many of the big local rally teams use it.

smckeown

It's really hard to find anyone in the UK that distributes the stuff. Other thsn demon-tweeks there's no one i've found so far. And i'm not paying their prices, works out more expensive than the silkoline pro R stuff.

Anyone managed to get any ?

Batfink

I think for the sake of 1 or 2 bhp i'd prefer to use the 15w 50 and prolong the lifespan of my engine - then spend some money on a good temperature guage

smckeown

yeah it's 15w-50 i'm after and currently using

jonnie205

you shoudl try using millers oil it realy is very top quality stuff

millersoils.co.uk

maxi
you shoudl try using millers oil it realy is very top quality stuff

millersoils.co.uk

You cant beat millers! VKM in Burgess Hill stock it Sean.

Maxi

Sign in to follow this