• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jrod

Removing Boot

Jrod

Ok I know how to get the boot off but its still held on by all the wiring, do you just unplug each bit from in the car and then push it out the hole? seems a bit akward?

Any tips?

steve@cornwall
Ok I know how to get the boot off but its still held on by all the wiring, do you just unplug each bit from in the car and then push it out the hole? seems a bit akward?

Any tips?

I was in a hurry, so cut them and used bullet connectors to put it all back together! was replacing with s/h boot so pulled as much wiring out of the old one after disconnecting at the wiper motor etc. so I had plenty to work with. Whatever you do- don't pull the washer pipe out of the boot! I wish i'd also done this with the pipe then used an airline joiner from the aquarium shop, superglued in!

GLPoomobile

I asked the same question to T16Ryan recently when I picked up a boot off him a few weeks back.

He said that there is a connector in the loom located under the headlining near the back of the roof, so you just have to unplug it from there.

Made sense at the time, but having thought about it since, I don't remember seeing this on my J reg 1.9 when I was stripping it. Not that I question Ryan though, as with the amount of parts he shifts on here I'm sure he knows what he is talking about.

Jrod

But how do you get to it! :)

GLPoomobile

Well, Ryan said you just pull the headlining down at the back (you need to pull the rubber boot seal off to lower the headlining) and you should see it.

Jrod

Ok there's deffo nothing there, that's becuase they are behind the left hand brake light.

To much hassle so I just chopped it. :)

Paintguy
Ok there's deffo nothing there, that's becuase they are behind the left hand brake light.

That's right, and they're a real pain in the backside to remove.

On mine, for some reason, the three multiplugs wouldn't fit through the hole in the bodywork, so I had to strip all the connectors out of the plug, pull them through, then rebuild the multiplug. All done in the tiny amount of space you've got to work in 'inside' the roof!

Then there's feeding them back down the C pillar to deal with :blush:

Super Josh
Then there's feeding them back down the C pillar to deal with :)

Andy, should have tied some string to them before you pulled them up the C pillar :) Hindsights a great thing isn't it :(

Josh

Banjo

Thats exactly what I had to do Andy, right pain in the be hind!

GLPoomobile

Have any of you replaced the boot single handedly? I figure it can't be that difficult, but am I right or wrong?

Edited by GLPoomobile

steve@cornwall
Have any of you replaced the boot single handedly? I figure it can't be that difficult, but am I right or wrong?

Not too difficult, close it at the bottom- like having an extra pair of hands to dupport it

Jrod

Make sure you undo the brackets from the car, not just from the boot.

That way the bolts have to go in straight and wont crossthread snapping the bolt in the boot. :ph34r:

Paintguy
Andy, should have tied some string to them before you pulled them up the C pillar :D Hindsights a great thing isn't it :D

I'd actually used a length of wire like this, but there was still a lot of jiggling about to do for some reason :) I think the three plugs were just too much to go down the pillar in one go.

Yeah I did mine on my own, but then I've had a bit of practice. :D You get used to balancing panels on your head whilst doing up the bolts :wacko:

Sign in to follow this