• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest golf&pug

Wife's 1.9 Cti Just Wont Fire

Guest golf&pug

hi my first post here & any help is very much appreciated, i have recently brought a 1.9 cti for the wife which is very almost in showroom condition on a j plate with only 63,000 miles. The car has been fantastic & fun to drive starting first time every time, runs slightly high on revs 1100 ish, have had absolutely no problems at all and have been on several 100 mile round trips without a hitch. that was until last sunday when the car just would not fire up and still doesn't. On the saturday less than 24 hours before we used the car and had no sign of a problem at all, I did the obvious & cheked all the ht-lt conections found no loose wiring i even sprayed a small amount of wd-40 as it had been damp the day before but still no go. so today i removed a spark plug and cranked her up there was a very small spark but hardly noticeable unsure if that is normal tho! i suspect it may be the coil, thanks for taking time to read my post & thx for any replies

jackherer

try plugging a spark plug straight into the coil bypassing the distributor and see if the spark is stronger, if it is you probably need a new cap and arm.

Guest golf&pug

thx for reply i assume i would go about this by just unplugging the ht lead from the coil placing a plug in the hole and then turn the engine over??? sorry if i sound stupid but have never heard of that but sounds great if its only a cap and rotor i need if the spark becomes stronger by doing this

Alastairh

yeah check your distributor cap is fairly clean.

Also while your at it, check you are getting fuel, crack the 19/17mm fuel hose on the fuel rail and turn the car over.

Alastair

Guest golf&pug

thanks for reply (alasitairh) i have now replaced cap and rotor & plugs but still will not fire, so i then checked that fuel was getting to the injection rail by undoing fuel pipe & yes it is, however when i was replacing plugs the plugs were totally dry and did not smell even slighlty of fuel this was only a minute or so after cranking over would this be normal as fuel is definantly getting to the rail, do the injectors open automatically as you crank over therefore letting in fuel too plugs too fire up because as i said plugs were bone dry and never smelled of fuel at all im pretty certain now this may be the fault. Any advice welcome thanks again

steve@cornwall
thanks for reply (alasitairh) i have now replaced cap and rotor & plugs but still will not fire, so i then checked that fuel was getting to the injection rail by undoing fuel pipe & yes it is, however when i was replacing plugs the plugs were totally dry and did not smell even slighlty of fuel this was only a minute or so after cranking over would this be normal as fuel is definantly getting to the rail, do the injectors open automatically as you crank over therefore letting in fuel too plugs too fire up because as i said plugs were bone dry and never smelled of fuel at all im pretty certain now this may be the fault. Any advice welcome thanks again

Could be the tachymetric relay- try a search (using different spellings for "tachymetric"-"tachometric" etc.)

Should be LOADS of imfo. there as it's a bit of an Achilles heel of the gti

Henry Yorke

It could be the tachymentric relay. It may be the lamda sensor perhaps, though if these go, they often over fuel as opposed to underfuel. I doubt it will be the ECU to be honest, but if it is then I have a spare one for a 1.9 CTI as they are not very common, Bosch part number 0 280 000 345 if I recall correctly.

Guest golf&pug

thanks steve@cornwall very good advice the search revealed many problems very similar to mine without sounding too stupid tho where may i find the tachymetric relay on a 1.9 cti this does sound very much like my problem and as i have no manual im looking blind. as i am only working from a 405 gtx 1.9 manual i have from years ago thanks again!

steve@cornwall
thanks steve@cornwall very good advice the search revealed many problems very similar to mine without sounding too stupid tho where may i find the tachymetric relay on a 1.9 cti this does sound very much like my problem and as i have no manual im looking blind. as i am only working from a 405 gtx 1.9 manual i have from years ago thanks again!

Black relay beside the ecu- under the driver's side of the dash- happy hunting

blue1.9

There is a wire that runs from the side of the dizzy and plugs into the loom going to the coil or ignition amp. If that plug is loose then the engine will not fire as I found out.

If there is a weak spark then the ignition amp itself could be at fault....on a J plate it should be on the drivers side inner wing and can cause non-start problems.

I can't remember where signal to open the injectors comes from (it comes via the ECU, but what triggers it?) - may be the tach relay, but I thought that was for the fuel pump itself adn you say that the pump is working - still worth having a feel around by the ECU and giving the relay a bit of a tap to see what happens.

Keep us updated

Alex

Guest golf&pug

thanks steve@cornwall im off to go find the tachymetric realy and get up to puegoet see if can sort once and for all many thanks i will get back either wat too let you guys know if problem as gone away cheers!!!!

Guest golf&pug

i have located the tachymetric relay (black with code 02474 and is secured by small nut on the back of the ecu with a set of wires going to it and a label says injec-electrique) must be the correct one have tried a few light taps and still no starting of the car ill go too local delaers now see if can get one (and would you belive it the front engine mount on on my mk3 golf gti snapped this morning but can still drive it all be it very slowly & that part is on order at vw what else can go wrong oh well the fun of motoring!!! thanks guys ill get back shortly thanks!

Rob_the_Sparky

Another vote for ignition amp or wire to it. WHen cranking the signal fom the dizzy is weak. The fuel is fired based on timing pulses fromt eh dizzy, via the igntion amp. E.g. loose the ignition amp or the signal to it and you loose both fuel and spark together.

Rob

Guest golf&pug

hi all again have ordered a tachymetric relay well i think i have the guys at puegeot were not very helpfull & didnt seem to want to help all they kept on saying was "well its an old car what do you expect parts are scarce." i tried so hard to explain the tachymetric relay & where it was but they still could not locate me one from there database even after giving the chassis number to them they say they have ordered correct part wont know until friday tho on that, i think i will have to get a ignition amp if this dont work. thanks rob for advice get back to you all in a day or so hopefully with working car cheers guys!

MikeT
hi all again have ordered a tachymetric relay well i think i have the guys at puegeot were not very helpfull & didnt seem to want to help all they kept on saying was "well its an old car what do you expect parts are scarce." i tried so hard to explain the tachymetric relay & where it was but they still could not locate me one from there database even after giving the chassis number to them they say they have ordered correct part wont know until friday tho on that, i think i will have to get a ignition amp if this dont work. thanks rob for advice get back to you all in a day or so hopefully with working car cheers guys!

Excuse my french but F**K those Peugoet dealership numpties, dont waste your time there.. just phone Autofive up and tell them what you need. Pug dealers aren't interested in you or your 20 year old car unfortunately.. its a shame they don't recall that if it weren't for the 205 that Peugeot wouldn't probably exist today but thats another story.. From what you say I doubt its the Tachometric relay and I would put my money on firstly the ignition amplifier or secondly the coil being at fault if you have already checked the cap, rotar, leads and plugs as you have fuel getting to the rail.

Good luck sorting it.

Mike

Edited by MikeT

Guest golf&pug

thanks for all the replys i have finally decided to let my local meachanic take over and towed the car down to is unit. i have passed on all the great info you guys have given me & he is doing loads of electriacl tests for me he said most likely it will be the ingition amplifier & i have also told him to replace cam belt when problem is sorted. luckily he is very reasonable and charges over half as much as most as he just replaced my front engine mounting for me this morning on my golf for a tenner i was quoted £30 every where else. i will be telling puegoet the part is wrong & the guy agreed that if it was i will get full refund i know it will be anyways they just fobbed me off i think!!.. i will get back to let you all know what the problem was i feel i have learned a lot already cheers guy's

Sign in to follow this