• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest matts1185

Are Poly Windows Road Legall

Guest matts1185

just a quick 1 are poly windows road legall? can the front ones be fitted so they open.

thanks

smckeown

yes they are road legal. I've not seen any fitted with the winders (sort of defeats the object of weight reduction). If you were after non shatter protection or something then maybe a layer of something on the inside of the glass...

deejay391

slightly off topic, where can you get hold of these? :D

M3Evo

According to my SVA book, which I guess is a reasonable guide, the windscreen must be safety glass and the side windows must be safety glazing which includes the polycarbonate stuff so yes they're road legal unless you wanna change the windscreen from glass to plastic :D

calvinhorse

plastics4performance make opening ones but they stick really bad so probly wont go down anyway!

Rom

Completely legal as said. They do not need to open in any shape or form.

U can also change the rear screen, anything but the windscreen.

I used ot have sliders on an old car, but there a bit gay looking, and need securing to stop ppl opening them

welshpug

i'd love some side windows in Polycarb if someone does slidey ones (Doesnt matter if they stick, I have a can of silicone spray which would stop that problem)

as for the regs, like someone said earlier, the windscreen must be std safety glass but the rest can be polycarb (its to do with the distortion of vision thats caused by polycarb)

Miles

I'd go for Lexan if you can, better quality material but slightly more expensive,

Doesn't the drivers window need to open for a MOT?

Sandy

Window operation isn't part of the MOT.

paul wicks

How much did yours cost Sean if you dont mind me asking??

smckeown

about £175 paul

mbayley77

You can also try any plastics type company you have on a local trading estate. A friend has his sides and rear done for 75 cash! to you and i the sizes are large but to a company they are off cuts and readily available. I have two pieces of 4mm polycarbonate given to me for a few beers and im sure im capable of making a couple of front windows. Slider kist are also only around the 15 quid mark.

Guest matts1185

thanks all off to look through yellow pages. going with just the rears then

pugrallye

if your going to attatch them to manual winders for the fronts, be prepared for them to scratch easily

Sign in to follow this