• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205_sunderland

205 Oil Choices

205_sunderland

hi all havent been on in a while because i been out on me bmx alot rather than car cos im too poor to run it all the time :)

anyway i change my oil and filter every 3000 mile and run that cleaner by stp just before i drop the oil too, my engine is a bx gti 8v, i used to use texaco semi syn 10w 40, this is no longer on sale but the do a newer oil now which is 5w 30 fully syn, what i would like to know is if anyone thinks i could run my car with this with no problem?

regards michael

Sandy

Shell helix semi, 10w40 seems just right. Never grumbles.

Guest CB-Dave

shell helix??? christ you must be rich!

I've ran millers XSS 10w40 in mine and it's fine, costs a lot less than shell's stuff too! It doesn't much like magnatec 10w40 but it runs fine on it if I put 15w40 in...

Ahl

If you're changing the oil and filter every 3000 miles you could probably run it on anything you like!

Millers oils are very good, very well formulated for what they are. They probably have more real world advantage than the likes of Shell Helix or Castrol whateveryoulike, though theres nothing wrong with any of these oils.

Sandy
shell helix??? christ you must be rich!

I don't buy it from the petrol stations, it's twice the price there.

jonnie205

I run millers in all of our cars now as i realy is the best out there. In an 8v use 20w 50 and in an mi run 10w40

hengti

not keen on Magnatec either

i've always used Duckhams Q 10/40 (205k engine, run for 130k miles), but used Total 10/40 last time round - it's much cheaper (GSF), although I reckon it takes longer to get pressure on start up. Duckhams next time for me.

Daxed

Yeah, I'm with Ahl on this one. If you are changing oil and filter every 3k, any good quality oil will see you proud.

Damn that reminds me, I last changed the oil in my Rover run around about 2 years ago, only ever change it when the head gasket blows, bastard Rover, thought I'd bought one with a Honda engine.

pacey205

Millers for me to, 10W40 in the Mi. Costs me £12 from my friendly local auto place and gets changed avery 5/6k or so.

Michael

markic
Damn that reminds me, I last changed the oil in my Rover run around about 2 years ago, only ever change it when the head gasket blows, bastard Rover, thought I'd bought one with a Honda engine.

Pmsl i love rover for that I earn a bloody fortune in foreigners doin them!

how did you mistake the honda engine? the gearbox is on the 'wrong' side in the honda engined rover?

205_sunderland

so looks like i may go for some 15w 40 non syn then or whatever halfrauds do for cheap

number2301

Why does everyone run semi syn not fully synthetic?

Ahl

Maybe because theres no real need for a fully synthetic with the way the cars are driven, the way the engine is and how often the oils changed.

Duroc
Why does everyone run semi syn not fully synthetic?

I'm the odd one out then, as I use Silkolene 10W50 in both my Mi16's.

C_W

I ran magnatec 10/40 in my Mi16 for about 5 years or so, but Costco stopped seeling it so I get Mobil 1 Super 10/40 for £10+vat!

Sign in to follow this