• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jim21070

Beam Strap

jim21070

I've just fitted my refurbed beam (Thanks Anthony and 205Parts ;):D ) and found that the cross tube is of a smaller diamater than the old one by a considerable margin.

This meant that I could not fit the beam strap because it was much too loose so for now, I have left it off.

I had a search and found this thread

Beam Strap Thread

The general concensus was that the strap is not needed but one Post said this...

The strap is to reinforce the rear seat belt buckles. It clamps round the rear beam, and then goes to the body and the bolts for the rear seatbelt buckles go though the body and through this strap.

If the impact were bad enough its possible that the bolt could tear through the body alone and then the seatbelt would be untethered.

I have been in a crash (not in a 205) where my seatbelt mounting ripped off the car so it does happen.

I don't believe this is true. The rear seat belt anchorages are on the sloping floor under the rear seats and can easily be seen (complete with reinforcing plates) when the beam is off.

The two bolts at the other end of the beam strap anchor bar are there mainly for the exhaust centre hanger. I can see the strap bar itself also serves a function of supporting the exhaust heat shield under the fuel tank and additionally acts as an emergency strap to prevent the fuel tank falling if its mountings should fail for any reason.

I've fitted the strap bar and heat shield but removed the bit that actually goes around the beam.

Is the concensus still that the bit that goes around the beam is surplus to requirements? I cannot fathom any logical function for it and I note that our 405 TD does not have one. The only thing I can think it will do is prevent the fuel tank falling if both the centre exhaust hanger bolts fail, the bolt at the other end of the beam strap fails and the fuel tank mounting bolts fail all at the same time. About as likely as snow in August I would have thought. :P

Anthony

Running without it is fine, and I don't have one on any of my cars if that gives you some assurances. Indeed, it was only the 3rd 205's that had them from the factory - 5dr models and 309's didn't have it.

As you've correctly spotted, it's nothing to do with the rear seat buckles (and I'm not sure why people keep peddling that idea) and the only purpose I can possibly see it performs is as a fuel tank retaining strap in the event of the tank studs sheering - certainly I can't see it braces anything as it's not tensioned against the beamtube.

jim21070

If you say it's fine without one Anthony, it's good enough for me :D:D:D

One strap now in the scrap metal bin..

Now to get those sodding drum brake self adjusters working :P;):D

Edited by jim21070

Jonmurgie

I also don't run with the strap... strange the 205 has it and the 309 has though, but it's all in that thread :P

Beastie

The beam strap represents very common engineering practise for an awful lot of manufacturers and I'm sure that it has nothing to do with the fuel tank: The Rear suspension assembly is held on by bonded rubber mountings. This means that in effect the entire rear suspension is glued on. If the bonding on the mountings fail then the suspension is no longer attached to the car. The beam strap stops the car leaving the suspension behind in the unlikely event that this should happen. Jaguar were espectially fond of this sort of engineering after a pre production E Type became separated from it's suspension sub frame at MIRA. The chances of all the mountings on a 205 rear beam failing are slim and as has already been mentioned, not all models have the strap.

Anthony

The front mounts aren't bonded, they're bolted, and hence there's no way the beam is coming off short of a couple of substancial bolts shearing or the mounts ripping out of the shell. Rear mounts are bonded though, and I've seen lots of them split in two.

Still puzzled why only the 3dr 205's have the strap, and 5dr 205's and all 309's don't...

niklas
The front mounts aren't bonded, they're bolted, and hence there's no way the beam is coming off short of a couple of substancial bolts shearing or the mounts ripping out of the shell. Rear mounts are bonded though, and I've seen lots of them split in two.

I agree with you, there's no way that beam is coming off. And if it does, you're already dead anyway... :D

Basically the tank is held by two M8 (?) bolts and actually the filler hose seems more reliable than those two bolts. So I can understand it provides some means of safety to that design..

But really necessary? Doubt it. It would require quite an amount of deadly force to loose the tank too... :D

j-16

Hi I've also not used the rear beam strap. What i don't understand is why is your tube a substantially diffent diameter to your original? I thought all models used the same beam tube?

Anthony
Hi I've also not used the rear beam strap. What i don't understand is why is your tube a substantially diffent diameter to your original? I thought all models used the same beam tube?

No, there's two different tubes which have a bulge of different diameter, but are otherwise the same.

Gtautotech

im going to be changing my beam this week and want to leave the strap off

Do you need to take the tank out to un bolt the trap from the chassis?

Higgy
im going to be changing my beam this week and want to leave the strap off

Do you need to take the tank out to un bolt the trap from the chassis?

I took my tank off on Saturday. And took the strap off BEFORE removing the tank.

So to answer your question, NO you dont need to.

Gtautotech

Cheers for that,

Guest rick03054

Is there no issues with not bieng able to use the heat shield under the fuel tank when you remove the strap?

I assume not, I've never seen any "my fuel tank blew up" posts :)

jim21070
Is there no issues with not bieng able to use the heat shield under the fuel tank when you remove the strap?

I assume not, I've never seen any "my fuel tank blew up" posts :)

I firmly believe the heat shield must be in place. The exhaust goes right near the tank and whilst I ran mine for several months sans shield, now I see just how close the exhaust runs to a PLASTIC tank, I'd not travel one mile without it.

I've never heard of a tank blowing up and don't want to either so make sure the shield is in place...

You can retain the strap bar simply by removing the "chain link" from it that holds the beam clamp proper. The heat shield is very thin and needs the strap bar to give it some integrity. Otherwise it'll soon fatigue and fall off IMHO. The bar also serves the very valid purpose, I believe, of restraining the tank should its mounting bolts fail.

Gtautotech

took my strap of last weekend, but i did refit the heatshield and i wouldnt run with out it either

Beam Strap off = few kgs lost

Guest rick03054

What did you secure the heatshield to at the back? does it seem solid?

Gtautotech

Front - on the two bolts that hold exhast bracket on

Back - i bolted it in the orignal place by the tank, conat remeber if it was on the tank or not, seemed secure though

Guest rick03054

The only way I can see it working (can't actually look at the car untill the weekend) is if you replaced the bracket and bolt that goes round the chain link thing on the beam, but without the beamstrap I thought it would all rattle around a bit. but now I think about it I'm not so sure.

Gtautotech
The only way I can see it working (can't actually look at the car untill the weekend) is if you replaced the bracket and bolt that goes round the chain link thing on the beam, but without the beamstrap I thought it would all rattle around a bit. but now I think about it I'm not so sure.

ill take a pictue under mine tonight for you, i took the trap off and the clamp off the rear beam, im sure the back heatshield mount is a bolt through a hole on the corner of the fuel tank with a nut and washer to secure it

Will post pic tommorow morning

GLPoomobile

Boys boys boys, c'mon now, you are making this all sound far too complicated!

You can remove the C shaped 'strap' from the beam and bin it, and leave the petrol tank support in place, which is fastened under the car by a nut at each end. The heat shield is held in place by the same two nuts that hold the tank support in place. That really IS as complicated as it gets.

You'll see what I mean when you get under the car.

Edited by GLPoomobile

jim21070
Boys boys boys, c'mon now, you are making this all sound far too complicated!

You can remove the C shaped 'strap' from the beam and bin it, and leave the petrol tank support in place, which is fastened under the car by a nut at each end. The heat shield is held in place by the same two nuts that hold the tank support in place. That really IS as complicated as it gets.

You'll see what I mean when you get under the car.

Quite.

Precisely what I was trying to say earlier :D:D

Thanks for describing it a lot better than me GLPoomobile!!!

Edited by jim21070

Sign in to follow this