• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest 1580cc

Air Con On A 205 1.6gti Non Pas

Guest 1580cc

Hi all,

I've seen a couple of air con systems for sale taken from say 1990/1 205 GTIs.

How realistic is it to fit this to my standard 205GTI 1.6 non-PAS GTI? (Spending hours dismantling and fitting parts is not a problem but my knowledge of air con systems is zero. If I fit it, could it just be charged up or would it then have to be dismantled again to replace seals or would any major parts need replaced along the way?)

Any general advice would be appreciated - do aircon engineers ever recondition and re-fit a system or do they prefer to fit all-new systems?

Thanks

inferno

if i was to buy the aircon system that im selling, or the one on ebay at the mo, the most i would do would be replace any hardened rubber o rings. then id get it gased with r12 as thats what it was designed for. it would be a fairly easy job to fit to your 1.6,as in everything is designed to fit, so no bodged pipes ect.

however it is quite involved, sump/bottom pulley/throttle body/fan shroud/heater box/oil filter housing ect all need swapping for aircon specific parts.

welshpug

You wont be able to get it filled with R12 as it was made illegal back in 1992 IIRC :D

R134a is what you need.

Apart from that litle issue yep, just change the seals and any dodgy looking pipes and off you go!

Jonmurgie

Just open then window... Air-Con is useless/pointless in the 205, it's also worthless second hand :D

Ryan
You wont be able to get it filled with R12 as it was made illegal back in 1992 IIRC :D

R134a is what you need.

Apart from that litle issue yep, just change the seals and any dodgy looking pipes and off you go!

You can't buy R12 anymore, but there are plenty of drop-in replacement gases available. Getting old-style systems filled is not a problem.

I've never fitted a system myself, but I image the main problems are removing the dash to change the heater box, and swapping over the sump and crank pulley. Everything else is more or less bolt-on.

Edited by Ryan

inferno

if i got a tenna for every time i was to prove some1 wrong on this r12 thing id be rich! ive had my aircon gassed twice in the last 2 months (once initially then again after repairing a pipe), and both times with r12.

feb

if the pump/compressor is 12+ years old it will be on its last legs. a new pump costs £300+. that's the most common thing to go wrong.

Edited by feb

Sign in to follow this