• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Zara

Serious 205 Prob............

Zara

Ok so Ian and myself went shopping in Jelly last night.

On the way home the battery light came on (not a problem except as it idled it was off and then came on as we accelerated)

Anywas we get in the car this morning to go to loughborough......again the battery light is on. Only this time we had a pit stop as we could smell burning. Pulled over stopped the car and there was smoke coming out of the dash behind the steering wheel. scared.gifscared.gifscared.gifscared.gif

Now we know something is shorting out but what??

Had the alternator and battery tested and they are both more than good.

Anyone got any ideas what this could be???

(P.S. Ian is still driving the car)

jackherer
(P.S. Ian is still driving the car)

I hope he has a fire extinguisher! :(

johnnie

Check your Spark Leads. If something is cutted or unplugged there will be a sort circuit and battery light will warn you. I run out of battery while the engine was running because of this!Be careful!

Guest BrainFluid

Sure sounds like a short circuit, did the smoke smell electrical? ie plasticy?

Remind me of when I bought a dodgey fiesta for a run around once, I cant remember if the battery light came on of not but the previous owner had wired up the radio very poorly, some hard driving had disturbed the shoddy wiring and suddenly the car was filling up with with smoke from behind the dash all due to melting wires. I was lucky it didnt catch on fire...an extinguisher might not be so poor an idea.

Nate.

j_turnell

Best stop driving take your dash to bits and try and trace the problem otherwise you could take your whole loom out.

Zara

cheers people, your help is appreciated! :D

vern

Sorry to hijack but only just noticed Nate only lives round the corner form me in deepest darkest rural suffolk.

Vern

feb

What car is this?

Probably you have already checked this as it would be obvious, but I had some smoke coming out when the alternator tensioner bearing seized in my ZX resulting in the alternator belt getting caught/melting hence the smoke and the battery light being on. If you are talking about a 205 though that doesn't have an alternator tensioner.

Zara

the car being in the title!! :D:) :) :) :) :)

thanks though feb.

he is off to get a new alternator this morning and see what happens from there. It is actually pushing out far too much charge. I should have said that when i said both were tested at more than good!

think it was pushing out 15.3 where as max should be 14. :D

Zara

Sorted......We have changed the alternator and all seems well. Tomoz im gonna take the dash out and see if we cant find these melted wires......

P.S. Feb 205's do have alternator tensioners!! :D

thanks for the help people!

Sign in to follow this