• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bam

1.9 Gti Xu9 Inlet Manifold @ Xu10j2te Head

Bam

hi,

i want to change the inlet manifold from my 309 turbo 8v.

the stock inlet manfold from turbo ...the tb is very small, a custom inlet manifold is to expensive.

i would like to change into a bigger one (think the 1.9 gti inletmanifold -i think it will fitt.)

who have had changed it?

what should i notice?

(i think a have to change sensors -right?)

regards

mik

Edited by Bam

sonofsam

Hi Mik

Welcome to the Forum :)

The only member i think on here using the Xu9 inlet manifold on

a 2litre Turbo is Henry Yorke, however he is using the 1.9 head also.

But there maybe a few others im not sure.

How much power you are running?

Cheers

Sam.

Edited by sonofsam

Bam

hi sam,

thanks for answer :)

>The only member i think on here using the Xu9 inlet manifold on

>a 2litre Turbo is Henry Yorke, however he is using the 1.9 head also.

why that? maybe some problems with sensors... i think i have to ask himself :lol:

the xu10 head has bigger valves...hm... i'm not 100% sure, but i think there are some xu10 heads on stock 1.9 gti blocks ;)

>How much power you are running?

at first i have tried the 2.0 Turbo conversion only, it was all stock.think 141bhp.

but now i'm fitting custom:

-exhaust manifold

-other turbocharger

-1.9 gti inlet manifold (don't know yet)

-downpipe

-exhaust

-injectors

-maybe custom intercooler (don't know yet)

-bigger brakes

i think 250bhp/ ~400nm are possible :)

and you?

regards mik

sonofsam

Nice, sounds like a great upgrade package you have planned :)

I am just running standard boost at the moment,(150ish) but like you, have a plans and ideas i would like to try out.

Im sure other members on here will be along to give you there input, its a bit quiet at the moment, but this subjects pops up quite often :lol:

By the way you have to have a post count of 30 or more to be able

to upload your own picture as an Avatar.

Cheers

sam.

Jakob

I run a modified XU9 GTI inlet manifold on a 2.0 8v head on a 1,9 block. The manifold has the NA 2.0 throttle body 58mm inner diameter and 63mm outsite -> fits perfect with 2½' hoses.

Due to the rules regarding picture sizing (dont bather resizing) you will find pictures at the links.

Here is a close up on the small modification made to the manifold -> 1 hour with a dremel :lol:

http://www.powerforum.dk/viewtopic.php?t=1...der=asc&start=0

Here is a close up of the special welded flange for the 2.0 NA throttle body. All idle controls has been cut away and holes left there has been welded. I did'nt trust that it would tighten truly on boost.

http://www.powerforum.dk/viewtopic.php?t=1...er=asc&start=75

Note as the links are to a conversion story the setup has varied a lot :) -> the first pages is with standard XU9 GTI throttle -> same size as the turbo -> too small :) Hereafter the water IC the changes was made.

A good alternativ would be the 2.0 NA manifold. However you will need to lower the radiator to have it mounted. I went the other way and fitted the throttle body to the GTI manifold.

Here you can see it all fitted.

front65ny.jpg

What exhaust manifold are you planing? One you build yourself or bought somewhere??

pug_ham

Sam, Henry isn't running a 2.0l turbo, just the late low compression 105bhp 1.9l cat equipped engine from his CTi with a turbo strapped on & the management from the 605 afaik.

I can't remember reading of anyone that has fitted the XU9 inlet on to the XU10 2.0l turbo engine but I wait to be proved wrong.

Graham.

sonofsam

My mistake Graham.

Im sure i remember reading that the 2.0L T inlet was of a good design

and the TB only became restrictive over 250hp applications.

Maybe some internal porting or polishing would aid flow.

Bam

@jakob

one word: WOW! :D

>I run a modified XU9 GTI inlet manifold on a 2.0 8v head on a 1,9 block.

why that? :rolleyes:

the 1,9 block is an opendesk block -you think its healty?(boostpressure)

ok bore and square are bigger...2,1~2,2L ?! ....hmm..

> -> 1 hour with a dremel

:D , yeah i have seen the little difference, i think this is the smallest problem :)

but this sounds very(!) interessting:

>All idle controls has been cut away and holes left there has been welded.

>I went the other way and fitted the throttle body to the GTI manifold.

ok i think i have understand...you've fitted the 2.0 TB on gti manifold -right?

do you have a partnumber from TB for me?don't sure wich 2.0 TB you mean, yet.

or, on wich modells is the tb fitt?

i think it's a very good idea...1.9 gti tb diameter is only 52mm.

aluminium welding is not possible for me :rolleyes: ...sh*t, i dont know where can get this flange...

i also have some ideas like this:

-max. overbore xu10 block (think overbore is better than, change 1.9 gti crankshaft)

-custom 16v pistions with xu9j4 head on xu10 block,vag TB

-225-235mm gearbox,225-235mm flywheel, don't know yet

but i'm not sure wich consumption is "possible" and wich output, will get with this fittings obove and how healty it is.

but...i think the compromise of all of them, is get upgrade the 2.0 8v turbo, with bigger turbo and TB.

i have upload here now 2 pictures:

http://service.gmx.net/mc/HJ6DzMVximafCaZdaxfaRDa4FajhaD

you have to click to: "gmx media center starten"

you will see the custom exhaustmanifold, and the downpipe. in few days i will update the gallery -with picture from custom exhaust.the red one... is my 309 ;)

...and now i will learn danish to read all your input from your homepage :D

mik :)

Jakob
...and now i will learn danish to read all your input from your homepage :D

mik :)

Hahaha :D - good luck Danish should be even worse than your language. Ich versuche selbst jeden Tag besser Deutsch zu sprechen...have to at my work, but what a blody gramma you have.. :P Jusk ask and shall translate and learn you some real viking language hahaha :lol:

Anyway back to the issue. I cut the flange of the turbo inlet manifold plus cut the flange for the standard 1,9 gti flangeadaptor. Had a guy weld it together and that is the flange I have today. The inner diameter of the turbo flange had to be extended as well. If I was to do it over again I would just find a 306 GTI throttle and weld it directly to the GTI manifold. The GTI manifold has 70mm inlet exactly like the 306 GTI throttle. Alternative you could make an adaptor, but why barther - weld it together, there loads of GTI manifolds out there. The throttle from a 306 GTI has no idle control and has a square flange -> ideal !! :D Just find a local welder who do aluminium.

1,9 throttle is not 52mm it is some what in the late 40'ties mm like the turbo.

Instead of looking for more ccm by changing crank or over bore I would rather put more attention to either the head og the turbomanifold. You are turbocharging and you will have plenty of room to achive your goal.

Bam

>Hahaha :D - good luck Danish should be even worse than your language.

*hehe* ok...now its possible for me to order a beer in denmark :D

>Ich versuche selbst jeden Tag besser Deutsch zu sprechen...

your german is realy good! :)

>have to at my work, but what a blody gramma you have.. :( Jusk ask and shall translate and learn >you some real viking language hahaha :D

my mother is from hungary...(hungarian and finnisch is one source)..but..i doesn't understand anything...like danish :lol:

( i speak 3 or 4languages..sometimes my brain feels like a tornado, and i agliate some words) ;)

>If I was to do it over again I would just find a 306 GTI throttle and weld it directly to the GTI manifold. The >GTI manifold has 70mm inlet exactly like the 306 GTI throttle.

yeah...i think i will try your sugestion out.someone in this forum, will sell me this tb (that i'm looked for gti-6)

>1,9 throttle is not 52mm it is some what in the late 40'ties mm like the turbo.

hm...don't know 100% yet..but i think gti tb is 52mm diameter...and turbo 47mm....but, never mind ;)

>Instead of looking for more ccm by changing crank or over bore I would rather put more attention to >either the head og the turbomanifold. You are turbocharging and you will have plenty of room to achive >your goal.

i think, at first i will fitt all things together...will test and try out. (block is honed and new pistionrings are fitted). i hope pistons will abide...if not...than is overboore interessting ;)

don't know where can get 1st overbore pistions (aftermarket).... :blink:

cheers

Sign in to follow this