• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
feb

Carpet Removal

feb

Hi,

I am going to remove the carpet to check the condition underneath and also the seat mounts.

What's the best way to do this:

- remove handbrake cover

- remove all seats

- remove centre console

- remove rubber door seals and carpet pins

But how do you remove the metal bars where the bottom of the front seat belts slide?

Do they just pul out once you remove the front nut?

Thanks, B)

TEKNOPUG

Yeah, the bars just unbolt. It's all very straightforward. The carpet arlund the centre console is glued on and you can only remove it by yanking it off with both hands.

Dino

Be careful not to rip the carpet either as it will be stuck pretty firm behind the center console.

pug_ham

Safest way to get the seats out imo is to run an M8 nut up the threads for the inner rear mounts underneath the car so they are clean & less likely to jam in the floor causing rounded torx bolt heads & a nightmare job for one that should be easy.

Fronts are awkward access but not usually rusted.

Graham.

Edp

You can undo the screws which go through the foot well covers too, that helps to slide the carpet out.

GLPoomobile
yanking it off with both hands.

And when you have finished pleasuring yourself you can resume the careful removal of your carpet :)

Anyone else had the problem of the screws for the handbrake cover rusting in place. I'd imagine the answer is a resounding 'YES'! Right bugger, innit?

Edp

Nope never, Ive removed plenty of seats from various 205s and never had any problems with the torx head bolts that hold the seats in either. I'm surprised about the amount of horror storys about driling them out and such...

I have a mother of a ratchet socket set with a T 40 torx bit so i guess the rust just runs away with fear :)

feb

No rust around the handbrake cover and the seats' torx bolts come out fine, the nightmare is to tighten the front driver's seat bolt again as the recaro seat leaves almost no space to put the T40 on top of a ratchet!

Have to use a home-made tool but doesn't seem to provide enough torque ending up rounding the front screw! I got a few spare screws, just need to take the old ones out and remove the bl*&dy black washers that make the seating position so high!

Lol I didn't know the carpet was glued around the centre console, thought the carpet ends just below it and the centre console has a separate piece of carpet stuck to it.

Haven't had time to try it yet though..

Edp, what's the height of your tool? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ok, on a more serious note, what's the distance between the ratchet and the end of your torx bolt?

I have been trying to find a short T40 that would fit to a ratchet and under the seat without success.

Edited by feb

sonofsam

Sounds like your in need of a ratchet spanner, perfect for taking seats in and out with.

the height is that of a torx bit, maybe smaller wich fits in a ring spanner

with a ratchet mechanism.

Couldn't live without my set now, absolute life saver of a tool :rolleyes:

pacey205
Lol I didn't know the carpet was glued around the centre console, thought the carpet ends just below it and the centre console has a separate piece of carpet stuck to it.

Thats exactly the way it is on my car. The carpet is stuck to the centre console and the actual floor carpet just kind of tucks underneath it.

Michael

Edited by pacey205

pug_ham
Feb, i 'll get you a picture of the 'TOOL' later :D

5020830.jpg

:wacko:

Graham.

Edp

Thats not a tool this is a tool!

Its basically a ratchet with a torx attachment. The torx also fits on the screw driver which in turn can fit on the ratchet. Its a great piece of kit and makes undoing those little bastard bolts really easy.

22082006029.jpg

22082006031.jpg

Sign in to follow this