• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ashley peddle

Should I Go For Slicks?

phatgti

lol, mine are £140 a tyre new.

Jonmurgie

The set of slicks I've got were £15 a piece... I've posted the details on here several time so try a search for them if anyones interested.

Having used them a few times now they are ACE and do knock seconds off a lap but I wouldn't say they are good for a standard car as all your doing is putting a LOT of extra stress on other areas of the car unless they are correctly uprated first <_<

DaveW

Make your own slicks <_<

phatgti

were yours Conways Jon?

Jonmurgie

Nope, I had tried a set of Maxsport RB5's but didn't liek them, prefered road tyres... I then picked up a set of Michelin Slicks from the ex-Clio Cup racers and those are awesome <_<

Rob_the_Sparky
Ash - as others have said, try using some heavily worn road tyres on track to begin with and you'll probably find them about perfect for what you want, with the added bonus of being basically free.

Your biggest problem isn't the Eagle F1's themselves (although they're not the best suited tyre for track it must be said) but the fact that you're usually using tyres that are nearly new and have lots of tread left on them. What then happens is that those tread blocks get hot on track and start to move around and letting the car slide about and wear the tyres oddly (the tread blocks will be worn on a slant if you look). With worn tyres (down to 1-2mm or less is usually a good start) this doesn't happen half as much and thus they don't lose grip as badly when they get hot. The only time that you need a decent amount of tread on track is if it's wet so that the tyres can cut through the water on the track and you don't aquaplain.

Certainly normally with worn tyres the engine temperatures and brakes start to complain before the tyres have overheated.

Surely F1s really aren't a good track tyre anyway, even for the road they aren't the ultimate in dry conditions road holding, they shine in wet conditions. I would have thought that there are going to be better road tyres available than F1s.

Rob

P.S. I believe the issue with lots of tread is that the movement means that the tyres get hot quicker so go off faster.

ashley peddle

well iv just aquired some 14" Yoko 032 cut slicks (part worn) for a VERY reasonable price (cheers james :wacko:)

found out lastnight that 106 s2 rallye steels fit over my brakes and these slicks fit on 106 s2 wheels... :blink:

get in ;)

cheers for all the advise people - esp. hengti for the informative pm :P muchos apreciated! IF i make it through my next track day il let you all know how i got on, lol - probably gona save them for Angylsea (sp?) in 4 weeks time but its tempting to break them out at combe and silverstone before them B)

Edited by ashley peddle

C_W

F1s aren't too bad when they are pretty bald - they don't go "off" then but then they don't have a loads of grip compared to other tyres I've used.

I'd save the tyres for Anglesea rather than use them at Silverstone, anglesey being a much tighter circuit where some sticky tyres will help a lot.

rogerrally

I still run 1.6 hubs and shafts on my up specced 1.9, (Because I prefer the macho wider track look), but the smaller brakes overheated with road tyres, and cant find any decent upgrade for the 1.6 calipers, ( everything for sale only fits 1.9 hubs) so bought slicks for the 15" wheels instead, Great, dont bother slowing down for bends as much now, so brakes arent as critical. Good advice, cheers!

Phil

I ran Michelin full cup slicks on my car with standard suspension all round. Worked a treat for me!

Just remember tyre pressures are key on proper slicks. I set mine to around 14psi cold and then get the pressures accurate when warm. I forgot to do this once and had them at 30psi cold.. Spun on the 2nd lap when I thought they would be warm enough to push a bit!!

ashley peddle

well i was gona go for a set but i decided to buy another 205 with my bonus instead :P

maybe at the begining of next year il invest in some... if i can stop buying cars that is :D

Sign in to follow this