• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonmurgie

Using A Smaller Oil Filter

Jonmurgie

The standard peugeot oil filter is massive... and for my new engine install it may be too big to fit where I want to put it. So, I popped out and got a Renault 5 GT Turbo filter as I knew they were about half the size:

piperun5.jpg

Question is, any side effects from running a smaller oil filter? I should think not but just wanted to check :)

Miles

I;ve seen this a few times and fitted one to the last Race XU engine I built, As your running a dry sump I can;t see any problems.

jim21070

A little caution is advised. If the filter cannot take the full flow of oil due to the reduced surface area offered by the smaller physical size, the bypass valve inside the filter (designed to allow a flow if the filter media becomes blocked) will open and allow unfiltered oil to flow. Thus you think it is OK but in actual fact the filter is doing very little.

One really needs to know the flow rate of the filter and the flow rate of the engine to be able to make a proper decision.

The normal recommendadtion is to go for the biggest canister size you can find, even if this means mounting the filter remotely, as long as the pipe unions do not impede flow.

Jonmurgie

Interesting... so should I be looking at how much oil the engine needs to flow or how much oil the pace dry sump pump flows?

As my other thread shows, this isn't simply to replace the standard filter on the block, it's part of a whole dry sump system :)

jim21070
Interesting... so should I be looking at how much oil the engine needs to flow or how much oil the pace dry sump pump flows?

As my other thread shows, this isn't simply to replace the standard filter on the block, it's part of a whole dry sump system :)

Really must learn to read all posts more carefully B)

I would be tempted to have a word with the pump supplier/manufacturer for their recommendations. You'll need to know the maximum rate that the pump can pump the oil and ensure that the chosen filter is able to fully flow oil at this rate. You are not concerned with maximum oil pressure but the volume of oil that is flowing.

I would guess the the pump spec somewhere will mention the flow rate in gallons per minute and then you need to be able to cross reference this figure to a filter that will flow this amount without opening the bypass valve. Oil viscosity may play a part and will need to be taken into consideration as another function of the bypass valve is to open when the oil is cold and thick when the filter media cannot flow the required volume due to the thickness of the oil.

A quick Google scan give no real useful information but K and N do a range of high performance oil filters that flow up to 16 gallons per minute. They are a reputable enough company and will more than likely recommend something up to the job.

Sign in to follow this