• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nathanlgd

Pts Sunstrip Fitting Guide

Guest Nathanlgd

I've sent out the first lot of PTS sunstrips so heres a quick guide to fitting them - its easy once you know how ;)

The strips in two parts, the dark blue background and then the PTS graphic which fits ontop of the dark blue strip. First thing todo is give the screen a good clean and get some helpful tools together. You'll need a water sprayer (you'll probably find one of these under the sink containing some cleaning product), a sharp craft knife or stanley knife blade and then some kind of fitting tool like a credit card. A credit card isn't ideal because they're abit too flexible and small but something similar will do the trick.

Once the screen is nice and clean you'll need to spray it with a light coating of water to prevent the strip from sticking upon contact. Try (if possible) to keep the water on the screen and away from the rubber edging around the screen, this isn't essential but it could help later on. Now to fit the dark blue strip - you may need a friend to help with this bit. Pull off the backing paper from the dark blue strip and place it on the screen so that either end fits perfectly (or as close as possible) into the corners of the screen, this will leave the middle of the strip overlapping the roof slightly. Don't worry if you don't get this right first time - no one ever does, this is the reason for the water spray at the begining. The water will allow you to pull off the strip and adjust it. Its better to do this one side at a time rather than you and your friend pulling the whole thing off and trying agian. Keep adjusting the strip one side at a time until the strip is tight into the top corners of the screen. The strip also needs to be sat as flat as possible once adjusted, it doesn't want to be twisted so that it causes the strip to creese. If the strip seems to be sticking quite well whilst you are trying to adjust it then simply spray on more water once the strip is lifted at either edge.

Once the strips in place and is nice and flat you can begin to squeeze out the air and water from underneath using your applicating tool (credit card type tool). For the best results, rap the applicator in a soft cloth and squeeze out the air and water from the middle out. You'll probably need to unstick the part of the strip that overlaps onto the roof so that you can tuck the strip tightly against the rubber edging of the screen - this will make trimming the strip much easier. Once all the water and air is squeezed out and the strips been tightly tucked against the rubber edging its time to start trimming. Its important that your blade is very sharp i.e. brand new so that you get a good clean cut. Its quite easy to trim around the strip using the rubber as a guide. If your unfortunate enough to have trapped some air/water in small bubbles that don't want to move then a minor pin prick will help squeeze out the unwanted faults.

Once you've got this far the rest is easy ;) all thats left is to fit the PTS graphic. I've left three guidelines on the PTS graphic to help fit them so you can't really go wrong. Give the strip a clean and another fine spray of water. Shout your friend back to give you a hand lineing up the PTS graphic. Peel off the backing paper to reveal the sticky side of the graphic. The guide marks want to sit on the bottom of the sunstrip and the middle mark also wants to line up with your ariel so that the graphic sits perfectly in the center of the screen. When the graphic is in place squeeze out the water and air using your applicator again and then carefuly remove the application tape. Now your PTS sunstrip should be complete :P If there are any bits that don't wanna stick you can use a heat gun (but be careful!) to help dry out and stick the troublesome bits down.

Hope this helps.

pug_ham

I'm thinking of being especially awkward & fitting mine on the inside of the screen.

Thanks for the guide Nathan, I'll post a picture of mine once its fitted.

Graham.

pts sunstrips!!

i missed that one, DANG

any left? the ones on e-gay are about £45 and im not payin that our kid

pug_ham
any left? the ones on e-gay are about £45 and im not payin that our kid

Adam, there was a group buy here.

I've got one (yet to fit it) & I've sent Nathan a pm asking if he could make me another but have yet to hear back from him. :(

Graham.

did you get one in the pts style then? like your photo?

i would love one of them in white

pug_ham
did you get one in the pts style then? like your photo?

Yes, pretty much anyway.

I'd take a photo but as yet I haven't fitted it. :)

Nathan hasn't visited the forum since August 19th so I'm just waiting to hear back from him.

Graham.

andrewhewitt

any chance of any pictures??

Baz

There's pictures in the original thread, linked above... :)

pug_ham
any chance of any pictures??

I still haven't fitted mine but the picture below is taken from the original topic which Baz mentions above;

newdecals2.jpg

The picture below is similar to the one Nathan made for me;

ptsstrip.jpg

I don't think Nathan visits the forum much anymore as he sold his 205 late last year.

Graham.

andrewhewitt

cheers mate. thats what i am after, will show this to the sign writers

Jrod

Jonnygoodhand has just started making these.

Heres the one I fitted today.

sunstrip.jpg

jonnygoodhand

I've just put together an online shop to sell these, together with other PTS decals.

Click here for more