• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allanallen

2.0 Mi16/s16 Questions?

allanallen

yesterday i collected a 1993 2.0 mi16 405 which i'm going to rip apart for the engine to put in my 205. Theres a couple of things that are bugging me and would be grateful of any help.here goes;

1. Before i got the car i was told it had a keypad immobiliser, but now i've got it i think its got a chip in the key. does anyone know where the transponder on the car is located, i've searched around the ignition barrel but cant see anything???

2. When i drove the car the engine ran really nice.....but it didnt pick up like it should at 4k revs and it stunk of fuel. I watched the engine when i reved it and the two vaccum rams that alter the inlet length weren't doing anything. Is this where the problem is or could it be something more serious, rings or somethin???

any help appreciated especially about the lack of power, because if its somethin serious it may aswell stay in its 405 coffin. al

eddie_1.9
1. Before i got the car i was told it had a keypad immobiliser, but now i've got it i think its got a chip in the key. does anyone know where the transponder on the car is located, i've searched around the ignition barrel but cant see anything???
It would be obvius which it is by the presence of lack of the key pad.

I think thats too early to have a trasponder. 306GTi6.com has info about this, and how to make it 'unlocked'. It got to be on here somewhere too i'd have thought too.

When i drove the car the engine ran really nice.....but it didnt pick up like it should at 4k revs and it stunk of fuel. I watched the engine when i reved it and the two vaccum rams that alter the inlet length weren't doing anything. Is this where the problem is or could it be something more serious, rings or somethin???
I would guess the lack of power is not just down to the diaphrams not working. If they were the only things wrong it would have nothing in the low revs then suddenly everything would come in from 4k. The reason for them not working could be the vacuum control valve may be broken (£30 for a new one at pug), but most likely the diaprams have perished & split. But check the pipe work for obvious splits, you could get lucky and just have a bad pipe.

I suspect adding to the the problem is the water and/or air temp sensors are duff too, causing it to run rich, causing dodgy smells and funny power. If thats it, it will run quite nice when cold, but when warm it wil be quite mellow.

Miles

A 1993 405 will have a open ECU, The alarm is tottaly seperate so you don;t need to worry, even thou there are Alarm wires in the ECU.

Might be worth changing the ECU Temp Sensor as they have the same problems as 205's when they go wrong.

The best thing is rip the crappy plastic Inlet off and use a GTi6 one, get's rid of all that useless Diaphrams

allanallen

The best thing is rip the crappy plastic Inlet off and use a GTi6 one, get's rid of all that useless Diaphrams

i keep reading about ripping the manifold off. is the gti6 one a straight swap??

I've opened the key up and there is alittle black chip lookin thing in there, the guy i bought the car off seemed to think it was a chipped aswell.

cheers for replys so far chaps

Miles

It's a fairly easy swap, Need the TPS and Air Temp sensor changing along with a new Air filter or Air Ducking.

The key will have a chip in but it's just for the central locking/Alarm which is seperate to the engine loom.

pug309twin40s

yep with those diaphrams not working the car will be fine at low revs but be flat at mid range as the 2nd butterflies wont be opening.

usually either the pipe from the diaphrams to a black cylinder on the side of the cyl head behind the thermostat housing has fallen of or the black cylinder has stopped working.

when the system works it good. but if your sticking into a 205 i would do as miles says and get rid of the normal acav inlet manifold and bits and have a normal manifold.

if the car had an keypad it wouldn't start.

keypad would be down by the handbrake.

the chip in the key is for the central locking and alarm as miles said.

allanallen

cheers for replies chaps. I figured the chip key thing out, i took the chip out of the key and put it about 25ft away and the car still turned over......which was nice.

I think i'm gonna leave the inlet as it is for now and get it up and runnin in the 205 then go from there, at least i know it runs as it is. al

Sign in to follow this