• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TEKNOPUG

Water Levels

TEKNOPUG

High there, where should the water level be upto in the expansion tank - before and after driving?

Think that I losing water but can't find a leak and I'm fearing that it disapearing via the head gasket - 10 hours before 'Ring departure ;)

hengti

i've always kept mine at the level of the moulding split in the expansion tank - about half full

level shouldn't be any different before/after driving - guess you've a leak somewhere

10 hours is a bit tight ;)

TEKNOPUG

I've just filled it upto there. No other signs other than it been drinking water. Although it's been pretty much standing for the last 4 months. Not a lot I can do now really.

Fingers crossed.

PumaRacing

Water level will be higher with the engine hot because hot water expands.

Henry Yorke

I had this in a 1.6 GTI. I changed the pressure cap and that identified a pin hole in the radiator. The water was evaporating as steam and only under pressure so not dripping on the floor

Guest DocBurble

See also my post on 'Confused - which hoses go where?'

I had a very slow loss of coolant which couldn't be tracked down, Check your steering column UJ hasn't almost rubbed through the hose that goes across the back of the bulkhead to the expansion tank.

Mine blew before a 3.5 hour drive back from Gower.

Good Luck!

ALEX

If it's loosing water through the head gasket, it's going to get worse.

Keep driving it and topping up the water untill the problem gets worse or gose away.

If it's the gasket you should start to see steam comming from the exhaust.

Mine went slowly like this started to use about a litre of water a week to about 2 litre every 10 miles.

Carry a few bottles of water around with you.

Edited by ALEX

Sign in to follow this