• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jackherer

Mi16 Fuelling

jackherer

Any time I've had for working on cars has been spent either removing a 2.0 turbo from a xantia I'm breaking or recovering and repairing my mates 205s unfortunately, I haven't done anything to my pug since I last posted in this thread, four days ago now ;)

I'm just going to pump all the fuel out and see what it does on new fuel and probably ez start if that doesn't mak eany difference. If that doesn't work I don't know what I'm going to do...

jackherer

earlier on I was able to spend an hour or so on my 205 so I pumped all the fuel out. I noticed the pump was working in (regular) pulses rather than continuously when I bridged the relay. I tried it with a hose directly on the pump and it still pulsed.

after pumping as much fuel as I could out I poured a can of fresh super unleaded straight into the tank where the pump goes so the pump would definitely suck the new fuel. I then put a different fuel pump in and first of all I tried pumping some fuel directly into a tank and the new pump seemed to pulse too. I reconnected all the hoses and tried starting it and it did eventually run, and revved cleanly but only for a minute or so then it cut dead again, I was able to restart it a couple of times but it got harder and harder.

jackherer

This is by far the longest time its ever taken me to fix any car, but shes working again now :P

yesterday the starter gave up after all the cranking its been doing, it was pretty sudden with very little warning. it went from turning over fine to just clicking then after two or three clicks it started smoking really badly so I quickly disconnected the battery. I checked the starter off the car and it did nothing but put a huge drain on a battery and get hot.

so I fitted a fairly new starter off an XU10 and unbelievably the car runs fine now!

I must say this is a new one on me, a starter that turned over fine but was causing enough of an electrical problem to mess with the engine management.

I suppose that I was seeing spark when cranking with the plugs out because there is less load on the starter so it wasn't doing whatever it was doing to the engine management....? <_<

pug_ham

Its not an early sign of ignition barrel failure is it?

I got a phone call on Wednesday from my ex saying her car had made some really strange noises & was running poorly before it suddenly went back to normal but the starter isn't working anymore :P & she had no guages worked except the rev counter.

Turns out the ignition barrel has losts its start click & wasn't springing back to the normal run position so she had driven it with the starter still engaged & burnt the starter out.

Guess what I'm doing tomrrow. <_<

Graham.

jackherer

thats a very interesting point Graham, you may well be onto something there.

I didn't hear any odd noises from the old starter and at one point I actually plugged a different barrel in to see if it was the cause of the non-starting but it didn't make any difference. But that doesn't mean it wasn't causing a probem prior to me breaking down.

To rule it out I think I'll disconnect the starter feed and fit a starter button.

Last night I dreamt that my 205 didnt start when I went out to try it, I'm going to pick it up shortly and I'm getting nervous now B):wacko:

Sign in to follow this