• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest richardjt

Mi16 Into 306

Guest richardjt

Hi,

Got lots of possible ideas floating around at the moment. Need to rule one in particular in or out.

Might have the chance to grab a rebuilt mi16 engine (1.9 alloy block) at a good price. I have been thinking about upping the spec of the engine (quite a lot) over time and then dropping it in my 306 rallye when its done (heard its a good base for tuning..), then selling on the 2.0 engine in the rallye after the swap.

I understand they are both "XU" engines, and as a result the mounting positions are the same. Correct me if I am wrong. Is there any reason why an mi16 block and head would not mate to the gti6/rallye ecu, ancillaries and gearbox, so in effect I would be just swapping the head and block.

I know this is a 205 site, but the 306 owners club cant provide much info on mi16 motors.

Tempted to get it anyway (mi engine) because I have been hunting for a 205gti thats it top condtion for a short while.

Cheers for any comments,

Rick

Sandy

It's largely interchangeable yes, but there will be small issues to overcome i'm sure. You may get away with legally running without a Cat, if the engine's a pre-Cat model.

inferno

is it a 16v 306?if so then it probably isnt worth it.otherwise go for it but retain the mi16 management. if you search you wil find details of higher power steel block,mi16 head builds... the 306 will always be heavier than a 205 tho!

Super Josh

Why not just tune the XU10J4RS engine that is already in your Rallye? Set of throttle bodies and cams and up the compression ratio to suite should give good power. Won't suffer from oil surge like the Mi's do either.

Josh

damien

is it worth it? the gti6 (the rallye engine) has more power from standard

Miles

And is overall a better engine than the Mi one,

pugrallye

or have you buggered it? lol

Guest richardjt

Cheers for your input guys.

Its probably not worth it I know. The reason I have been considering the idea is only really because I may have the opportunity to buy a completely rebuilt mi16 1.9, I could then improve it further, while still using the rallye with existing engine, and install it when the time is right.

My existing engine runs well but it has 80k on it, I suppose I thought that tuning (tb's + cam say) a high-ish mileage engine might be pushing it, and that starting with a fresh engine might be wise (something a bit different too, and 20odd kgs lighter)??

Cheers,

Rick

Batfink

80k is nothing.

Spend the money on the current engine. We are happily throwing tb's and cams into engines with 130k+

S33GAV

Buy the engine and stick it in a mint 205 gti

Baz

As Gav said!!

Guest richardjt

Tb's on a 130k engine! Good to hear, well 80k should fine I guess (more regular oil changes a must?).

I have been keeping an eye out for a 205gti that is as close to mint as I can find. Anyone know of someone selling a minter with not too many miles on it (off topic, should start a new one)? Miami or topaz blue, sorrento green or poss the graphite grey colour, or even red but cant stand the faded look.

Not sure where to look other than here of course or auto trader..

Edited by richardjt

Richie

Try looking on ebay and pistonheads.com. Keep an eye out on www.psooc.com and www.peugeot-gti.co.uk ;)

S33GAV

If you're looking to put a rebuilt mi16 engine in it then it doesn't matter too much whether it's (engine) done too many miles. Take a look at the home page of this website too as there's a for sale section there too.

Dream Weaver
Tb's on a 130k engine! Good to hear, well 80k should fine I guess (more regular oil changes a must?).

I have been keeping an eye out for a 205gti that is as close to mint as I can find. Anyone know of someone selling a minter with not too many miles on it (off topic, should start a new one)? Miami or topaz blue, sorrento green or poss the graphite grey colour, or even red but cant stand the faded look.

Not sure where to look other than here of course or auto trader..

Nice Sorrento on Scoobynet at the mo being sold by aggs, think he comes on here as well.

Here's the link - http://bbs.scoobynet.com/peugeot-205-gti-t529157.html

Edited by Dream Weaver

Ahl
It's largely interchangeable yes, but there will be small issues to overcome i'm sure. You may get away with legally running without a Cat, if the engine's a pre-Cat model.

Thats not quite correct. It goes by the oldest part - engine or car. So you can put an originally uncatalysed 1.9 mi into a late 306 or put an later catalysed GTI-6 engine with the cats removed into a non-cat 205.

Guest richardjt

Thanks again for comments everyone.

That sorrento green gti looks pretty good. Close to what I am looking for, cheers to Dream Weaver for the link.

Really wish I knew what to do, thinking a good mi16 in a realy nice 205 is the way to go.

Been reading up on the different ways to install the motor. Am I correct in saying the mi lump will drop in the 205 and run with the existing jetronic 8v management, loom and most ancillaries. Would the 8v AFM, fuel pump and oil pump work also? I understand its possible to get a distributor converter for the 8v unit, does this work ok?

Is it worth the extra hassle using the motronic system and loom etc?

Cheers

Guest richardjt

Just had a look at the mi conversion guide on the home page, it seems pretty detailed.

Assuming I bought a 1.9 205gti, it seems the mi head and block will drop in fine. I would just need the mi inlet manifold (or a shorter unit), throttle body and exhaust manifold (one that clears the bulkhead)??

How about the plumbing for the cooling system, 8v jobbies do the trick?

Dream Weaver

You pretty much just need the Exhaust manifold, shortened inlet and Grp N engine mounts, everything else can be re-used to some degree.

Std 8v cooling system will work.

Sign in to follow this