• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Enfield

205 1.8 Td

Enfield

Hi guys, not sure where to put this topic...

I bought a 205 1.8 TD yesterday 205tddk7.jpg

I don't think it's running 100% right.

I have to floor it for it to come onto boost and it doesn't pull that well when it does come on, it's very different to what I was expecting.

Does anyone know how to tune these things? Like up the boost, fuelling and boost compensation or have any links to any guides?

Also what engine does it have?

I'm definitely going to be upgrading the brakes as the ones on there are rubbish and perhaps lower it a bit with stiffer shocks. Oh and a rev counter - can't be doing without one of those!

Guest cknotty

A friend of mine has a J plate 205 DTurbo, and the engine (XUD7T) pulls strongly and feels pretty quick (for a diesel! :)), although the electrics are dying on it now :o

It also has 309 GTi calipers and discs as well, so these do fit if you are still looking to upgrade the brakes.

Not too sure about performance mods, although you can get intercoolers for them, which will fit if you get an Automatic bonnet for it.

The DTurbo should have come with a rev counter as it has the larger instrument binnacle from the GTi. However remember when you are fitting a rev counter, there is no normal feed to it on a diesel (no ignition circuit). The DTurbo's rev counter is fed from a TDC sensor on the front of the block, next to the flywheel.

Hope this helps

Chris

jim21070

It should go very well indeed. I have a 1.8 NA 205 D Junior and that is not bad. The Turbo XUD7TE should knock your socks off.

I have to say though that all Turbo XUDs come on to boost quite gently really, there is no sudden "kick" like a petrol turbo motor and its a perception more that a feeling. Comapre an NA XUD to a Turbo XUD and you'll understand what I mean.

Boost should come in at just under 2000RPM, peak torque should be seen at 2500RPM and it should go on giving similar torque right up to about 4000 RPM although running a diesel at these revs is pointless. Theyre at their best between 2000 and 3000 RPM.

Generally, the first thing to do is give it a really good service, oil, all filters, including the fuel filter and unless you KNOW it has been done recently, swap the cambelt. It's not difficult, if anything, slightly easier than doing a petrol XU.

These engines fill their exhausts with carbon if they are used too gently. Once the above service has been done and the cam belt replaced, give it an "Italian Tune Up". This simply means thrashing the tits off of it in the lower gears for a good few miles to get the engine and exhaust nice and hot to clear out all the clag. If it is bad and you do it at night you may be rewarded with lumps of burning carbon flying out of the exhaust...

Don't under any circumstances do the Italian Tune Up before a full service or if you have any doubt about the cambelt.

If it is still flat, ensue all your air trunking is leak free 'twixt air filter, turbo and inlet manifold. A leak here, especially downwind of the turbo will kill performance.

Check also the boot sense pipe back to the Injection Pump. It is known to perish over time. This small pipe runs from the turbo to inlet trunking away to the pump. Its purpose is to allow the Injection Pump to "sense" boost pressure and fuel accordingly. At full boost (under heavy acceleration, foot right down) the pump will over-fuel slightly and you should see a haze of black smoke from the exhaust. At all other times the engine should be smoke-free.

That'll do for starters, hope it helps a bit. Let us know how it goes.

Looks lovely on its Speedlines. A nice looking car all round...

pug_ham

What are you expecting from it?? They drive nothing like a petrol engiend car but should still be quite quick in the lower gears.

When I first got my STDT in replacement for my n/a diesel I didn't think there was any difference in performance but after a few days driving I realised it was quicker easily.

I also recommend giving the car a full service & new belt before starting to drive it with a bit more welly than it might've been used to.

Mine improved when I did this & again when I fixed the cold start cable & cleaned the levers on the pump which were sticking slightly.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this