• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sergy

Rtv High Temp Silicone Sealant Vs Firegum

Sergy

Has anyone used RTV Silicone Sealant instead of Firegum/exhaust putty when assembling on joints? I'd prefer to use it if possible as it doesnt all crumble and wouldnt it seal more neatly and is generally not so messy.

jim21070

I can't imagine that even High Temperature Silicone will be high temperature enough to use on any part of an exhaust.

sonofsam

I've used plain old black silicone sealent before on a defective olive fit.Granted it was nearer the back of the system but still held for a year or so without going crumbly..so would imagine the high temp stuff to be good.

Sergy

Well the stuff I've got is up to 700 degrees C, does the exhaust get as hot as that?

Pug_101
Well the stuff I've got is up to 700 degrees C, does the exhaust get as hot as that?

Yes they can, but close to the manifold end. Where do you plan to use it?

Sergy
Yes they can, but close to the manifold end. Where do you plan to use it?

Olive joints for the backbox and mid-pipe to cat. Actually i misread its 300 degrees C the red RTV i've got, I doubt the backbox/midpipe will exceed this?

Cheers,

Edited by Sergy

fiji bob

ive used normal sealent before on the rear joint and it lasted fine think i needed to use a dremel type tool in the end to get rid of all the old stuff

nick

You can buy Intumescent sealer that swells up the hotter it gets, it's used for the gaps around fire doors, windows etc...

fire retartdent sealer

Nick

Sign in to follow this