• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gavin Waddell

Cambelt Whine

Gavin Waddell

basically im nearing complition of my mi and well the engine was rebuilt, fitted a new camblet and tensioners timed it all up and tensioned it, ptit in the car and voila. now this was 3 months ago and well finally got it started and it whines like its running a charger. now im thinking this is not good. is it possible to retention the belt with engine in situ?im assuming you need to take off the engine mount?

cheers agvin

kyepan
basically im nearing complition of my mi and well the engine was rebuilt, fitted a new camblet and tensioners timed it all up and tensioned it, ptit in the car and voila. now this was 3 months ago and well finally got it started and it whines like its running a charger. now im thinking this is not good. is it possible to retention the belt with engine in situ?im assuming you need to take off the engine mount?

cheers agvin

Just had the same thing myself, It is possible to retension in situe, you will need to take the alternator pully off but thats about it other than the top cover, second time round I didn't undo the engine mount. The back tensioner was wound up way too tight.

What kind of tensioner bolts did you have? because the ones that fit alen keys are a pain. Pug sell the normal bolts for 90p a go and they are easy to get a ring spanner round even with the lack of access. if your lucky you can even get a swivel bar and shallow 13mm socket on the lower front tensioner. the only tricky bit is the tensioner takes a square section tool, you'll need a short square section held by something, we used an old micrometer.

good luck.

newdean0

Yeah you can retension it in the car quite easily - can I just ask though, is the whine apparent from the moment you turn the key or does it appear once the engine has warmed up? I'm trying to fix a similar whine on my car but when the engine's cold it isn't there and I can't touch the engine when it's hot.

pug_ham

Could it be the alternator bearings have dried out?

Graham.

Gavin Waddell

the whine is only when you accelerate, but i will retension it over the next few days the ru n in the new engine next week.

Rob_the_Sparky

Easy to check if it is the alternator - take the drive belt off and see if ti still whines.

PumaRacing
Yeah you can retension it in the car quite easily - can I just ask though, is the whine apparent from the moment you turn the key or does it appear once the engine has warmed up? I'm trying to fix a similar whine on my car but when the engine's cold it isn't there and I can't touch the engine when it's hot.

The expansion of the engine itself as it gets hot puts considerably more tension on a cambelt. When the engine also has an alloy block that expansion is even greater. Sometimes a belt needs to be a tad slack when cold to be the right tension when hot.

ALEX
Easy to check if it is the alternator - take the drive belt off and see if ti still whines.

Or just spray it with WD40.

Rob_the_Sparky
The expansion of the engine itself as it gets hot puts considerably more tension on a cambelt. When the engine also has an alloy block that expansion is even greater. Sometimes a belt needs to be a tad slack when cold to be the right tension when hot.

Very useful info, mines whines once warm but sounds OK when cold - I detect a good reason why...

Gavin Waddell

that is what i was going to ask next. i thing that both my tensionerse are a full do you think if i slacken them a bit it will whine less?

alsowhen i rebuilt the engine it started and didnt whine then lefy it for a couple of monthe and it whines?

will try the losening trick tomorrow

gavin

GLPoomobile

Sorry to hijack, but I have whine as well on my 8v since putting the head back on a refitting the belt. I thought maybe it was rubbing something. Seems to only do it when the idle drops below 1k rpm.

At least now I know that when I redo the belt I should retention it with the engine warm. My belt seems to slack but I haven't tried it when the engine is warm.

ALEX
Sorry to hijack, but I have whine as well on my 8v since putting the head back on a refitting the belt. I thought maybe it was rubbing something. Seems to only do it when the idle drops below 1k rpm.

At least now I know that when I redo the belt I should retention it with the engine warm. My belt seems to slack but I haven't tried it when the engine is warm.

Check it's not catching on the cam belt cover.

matt1900

hmmm, seems to be a common fault then as i have an 8v 1.9 that has had the belt, tensioner and waterpump replaced but starts to wine at 1100 rpm when the engine gets hot.

so this explanation of engine expansion seems like a very good one, just one thing though, would it be better to slacken the auto tensioner so it's a bit loose when cold, or just let the engine heat up and then re -tension - or would it not make a difference?

Bonzai

how bazaar, mine has started to whine in the last week or two. but only on startup from cold, and it only lasts a minute or two, its undetectable when warm :ph34r:

Guest CB-Dave

the thing is, haynes says to turn the engine over two full rotations by hand, then start it up, run it till the fan cuts in and then slacken the tensioner and retension the belt - it's not like it's anything new!

Rob_the_Sparky

Done that and it still whines like a trooper...time to put my new tensioner on me thinks.

matt1900
the thing is, haynes says to turn the engine over two full rotations by hand, then start it up, run it till the fan cuts in and then slacken the tensioner and retension the belt - it's not like it's anything new!

ah, nice one for that bit of info - have to say ive never looked at a haynes manual in my life, might be worth investing in one!

Gavin Waddell

finally got it sorted, after speaking to a mechanic friend, and look at old pictures of the engine in dismantling state i worked out that the cambelt was waaaaaayyyyyy to tight. so i loosend it and it does whine any more.

gavin

niklas
...then start it up, run it till the fan cuts in and then slacken the tensioner and retension the belt...

Are there actually people doing this??

Even mechanics say they don't do this.. B)

matt1900
Are there actually people doing this??

Even mechanics say they don't do this.. :P

most people probably dont bother, especially if it's not their car, i never did. ive done it now though and the whine has definatly quietened down, although is still there slightly if you really listen out for it.

Sign in to follow this