• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty_gti

Engine Removel

matty_gti

just a quick one, ive got a 1.6 8 valve, can i remove the engine (lift it out) on its own without the gear box (leaving the box in the car)?.

Can i not just unbolt the drivers driveshft bearing and hay presto.....+ evrey thing else????

ThAnKs

Edited by matty_gti

smckeown

No, as the engine and box are supported when they are combined

I'm a real novice in this area, but even I managed to remove a pug engine with my crane. Haynes was useful.

If you need to borrow my crane, I usually lend it to forum members

notamondayfan

jus make sure remove the battery tray and radiatior and ull be fine.

jackherer

I've never tried but I'm pretty sure theres not enough space on the drivers side to move the engne to get the gearbox seperated, you need to disconnect the gearbox and slide it towards the passenger wing to get it off the engine or take both out together.

jonD6B

It would be more effort than it's worth IMO. Take them out together.

petert
jus make sure remove the battery tray and radiatior and ull be fine.

A better idea is to drop the engine/gearbox assembly vertically. No need to touch the tray then.

notamondayfan

yea true, if u have the space.

matty_gti
No, as the engine and box are supported when they are combined

I'm a real novice in this area, but even I managed to remove a pug engine with my crane. Haynes was useful.

If you need to borrow my crane, I usually lend it to forum members

That would be awsome if i could borrow it, how much would you charge and where abouts are you?.

ThAnKs

pugpete1108

i had never removed an engine before and done mine without a crane in about 2hrs , as mentioned hayens is a big help , i dropped mine out complete on to a trolley and then lifted the car and pulled the trolley out,easy peasey . dunno how i will get it back in though :P

steve@cornwall
i had never removed an engine before and done mine without a crane in about 2hrs , as mentioned hayens is a big help , i dropped mine out complete on to a trolley and then lifted the car and pulled the trolley out,easy peasey . dunno how i will get it back in though :)

Dropping out is the way I do it- (about 10 out and 6 back in and counting)

Just jack up the car, rerposition engine and lower the car (minus wheels) back on to it! carefull use of a trolley jack under engine/box will have it back in no time.

I find it all much easier without manifolds, and don't think it fits at all with the inlet in place?

Rad. out is a must for room and damage prevention!

Jonmurgie

You can't get the engine out while leaving the gearbox in... you can get the gearbox out while leaving the engine in... so you could take it out in 2 parts (gearbox first, then engine) or complete, personally have done it both ways and also always gone out the top :)

It's pretty easy and straight forward once you get into it and see how/where things go. Important thing is to be logical and methodical :(

Guest wils3

Im gonna remove engine and gearbox complete in the future but i dont have an engine crane but i do have access to a forklift (1.5 ton) so how would be the best way for me to remove engine and gearbox complete with the use of a forklift? Thanks for any help.

Alastairh

Wil. I reccemend removing out the top, with removing the 4 13mm battery tray bolts and easyier.

Where as removing out the bottom you'll need to remove the rad and the inlet, as they'll make contact, and will need removing out the passenger side wheel arch, which can cause damage to the valance. Also may struggel getting past the bottom engine mount on fitting.

Need a hand give me a pm.

Alastair

Guest wils3
Wil. I reccemend removing out the top, with removing the 4 13mm battery tray bolts and easyier.

Where as removing out the bottom you'll need to remove the rad and the inlet, as they'll make contact, and will need removing out the passenger side wheel arch, which can cause damage to the valance. Also may struggel getting past the bottom engine mount on fitting.

Need a hand give me a pm.

Alastair

Thanks for your reply alastairh, Also thanks for your offer of help which i might take up in the future, first im buying all standard'ish front end stuff before i remove the engine so i can do it all in 1 go, Steering rack, Driveshafts, Top mounts, Springs, Shocks etc. as i cant really have all parts just laying around even for a day as my pug is at my dads warehouse outside and he has to do business there and i dont wanna p~ss him off with parts everywhere especially when he has people come up for business meetings.

Thanks again for the offer.

Alastairh, if your interested in an Mi16 1.9, Complete car with 120k i think on clock going fairly cheap due to a brake problem on the car (Master Cyclinder he said), I can give you the blokes number if you want, i was thinking of getting but after thinking, Mi16 conv. is beyond my budget and im not confident enough to be rebuilding, fitting and wiring it in. its in irthlingboro, if interested then get in touch.

Alastairh

Aaah yes i know the car, saw it driving a while back, and also went on ebay.

yeah could be intrested, but depends on how much he wants?

petert

I still can't see how removing the engine out the top is easy. Undoing the battery tray is a pain. No need to remove the bonnet. How long does it take to remove the inlet manifold? It's only a few nuts. Undo the exhaust flange and leave the exhaust manifold on. You have to jack the car up anyway to remove the driveshafts. So jack it a bit further until you have 600mm clearance under the front spoiler. Then it's bombs away! Only amatures take it out the top.

gti_al

In true amateur fashion mine came out the top, with a crane and leveler. Wasn't really difficult at all, and i would imagine that removing the battery tray and inlet to have a similar degree of difficulty.

I have only done it once though, so maybe i fluked it.

steve@cornwall
In true amateur fashion mine came out the top, with a crane and leveler. Wasn't really difficult at all, and i would imagine that removing the battery tray and inlet to have a similar degree of difficulty.

I have only done it once though, so maybe i fluked it.

Lot easier to re-fit the manifold than the battery tray!

Sign in to follow this