• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DaveK

Mi Starting On Second Click Of The Key

DaveK

Normally you turn the key 2 clicks then you turn it again to start it yea? The mi is trying to start on the second click....why?

lol thanks guys!

DaveK

anyone any ideas? everything is finished on the car now, just not sure if i should try run the car like this

boombang

Starter solenoid connected to the ignition switch circuit and not the starter position?

jackherer

some 205s come with the wires for the switched 12v (32a IIRC) and the starter feed swapped over on the brown multiplug under the dash, no idea why peugeot chose to change it but they did and I've wired up a couple of Mi16s and had this probem myself.

you just need to swap them over and it'll start first time (if you got everything else right ;))

DaveK

ah ok nice thanks jack, ill give that a shot

DaveK

ok i swapped the wires and it stopped if trying to turn on second click, but now when i turn full on nothing happens.

the switched positive and starter wires are on different brown plugs yea?

DaveK

are there any other differences between the years of 205's with the wiring. The only lights that come on the dash when on second position is the handbrake and battery...wrong wiring?

apologies for all the q's....havent got a clue bout wiring

Edited by DaveK

jackherer

you should be getting the oil pressure warning light coming on when the key is turned but the engine isnt running. that will also trigger the stop light.

it sounds like you either have some things wired wrongly or some loose connections so you're going to have to recheck what you have done.

is it a 405 or BX loom?

DaveK

its a 405 loom i think

i have 3 or 4 wires that are unconnected at the moment as im unsure where they are meant to go

ive not connected wires from the oil level on the sump, the sensor on the back of the block and one of the single wires on the thermo housing

i think its missing the oil level wire, maybe i should get a new loom as its in a pretty poor state tbh

would these stop the car from starting?

Ryan

The oil pressure light doesn't always come on. After it's been turned over a few times the oil pressure is usually enough to keep the light off unless you leave it for a couple of days.

DaveK

Ive noticed that the switched positive in the 205 has 2 wires coming from it, 2a (thick red which is part of the 8v loom) and 32a(thin yellow wich goes up the dash to the tachy i think).

At the moment my mi16 loom only has the 2a. Should i be adding another wire there?

Where would it go if it does?

Got a feeling this is whats stopping it starting

Cheers

Dave

jackherer
The oil pressure light doesn't always come on. After it's been turned over a few times the oil pressure is usually enough to keep the light off unless you leave it for a couple of days.

thats not normal, the oil pressure light should come on almost as soon as the engine has stopped turning over.

you should fix the fault on yours ASAP as you wont be getting a proper warning of low oil pressure which is critical on an Mi16!

DaveK: try removing a spark plug and check for a spark when you turn it over and look for fuel being injected.

IIRC the two wires 2a and 32a are connected to the same pin on the 205 multiplug so having just one connected to the Mi16 loom is fine.

DaveK

so i dont need to attach 32a to any relays or anything in the mi16 loom like the 205 one?

at the moment the engine wont do anything, just a click from the fusebox in the glovebox when i try to start it

jackherer

like I say I'm pretty sure that 2a and 32a both come from the same pin on the 205 loom so either is fine to supply switched power to the Mi loom.

Do the two relays on the Mi16 loom do anything when you turn the key?

If the engine is not turning over at all then there is a problem with the wiring to the starter, wire 46a. You must have had that working at some point but connected to 2A or 32a so it turned over on the first turn of the key, so now it must not be getting a feed from the 205 as you know the Mi16 side of it is OK. Saying that its worth checking the spade on the starter itself as they are a bit dodgy sometimes.

DaveK

The 2 relays on the mi16 loom arent doing anything, only the one in the glovebox.

jackherer

I'd say you need to recheck the changes you made to stop it turning over with the key in the first position.

It was turning over and now its not so the starter feed wire must be disconnected and it sounds like the other one is too.

DaveK

ok mate ill give it another bash :D

DaveK

Ok ive had the multimeter out and there is a good connection on the proper starter wires and switched +ve wires. Same goes for the fuel pump but im struggling to find many more than that. The switched has a fine earth.

Do all the sensors need to be in place and connected before it will work?

I know that all of the wiring should be fine as it came out of a 205 with the engine.

Should the small brown multiplug that lives near the passenger headlight be connected to anything btw? 4 pin i think it is

Thanks guys, this is gettin on ma nipples now lol

Ryan
thats not normal, the oil pressure light should come on almost as soon as the engine has stopped turning over.

Both my engines have done this, both the original 8v and the mi16. The 16v pressure drops much more slowly, but it isn't run in yet...

The wiring is fine as is the sensor.

DaveK

The ignition relay is clicking now but the relay with the fuel pump (76) isnt. Whats up?? Am i missing an earth or something?

jackherer
Both my engines have done this, both the original 8v and the mi16. The 16v pressure drops much more slowly, but it isn't run in yet...

The wiring is fine as is the sensor.

well, your car is different to every other one in the world ;)

DaveK

What actually happes when you turn the key over to start the starter motor? Does it only turn the starter motor? The car acts as if its turned off when i try to start the motor.

Also when i have the 2 plugs connected under the dash and i put a wire directly from the +ve on the battery to the fuel pump wire on the relay it clicks and the fuel pump starts working. Is the fuel pump relay missing power????

Just trying to give as much info as i can here, completely lost lol

Sign in to follow this