• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest SeanT

Starting Probs

Guest SeanT

My mi used to start on the button every morning, but in the last few days its getting harder to start, takes like 4 good turning over sessions which can drain the battery....its got new leads and the dist cap isnt to old although i know they eat them.....before i start replacing everything has anyone else had this issue that can point me in the right direction...

Thanks

davev

hi, id say defore we all start saying random things that have happened to us, its best that u give the car a check and report your findings so we can get a better idea of whats happening.

first of all is the car cranking over? if so check the spark(or power to it) at various places, also airways and fuel system. if that dont uncover something then it starts getting abit more technical.

post ur findings and go from there.

dave.

Guest SeanT

Yeah I will take a look today but the car does start and runs fine, the issue is it used to start first time, now its taking like 4 loonnngg attempts before she will fire.......which can then drain the battery....

Sean

hi, id say defore we all start saying random things that have happened to us, its best that u give the car a check and report your findings so we can get a better idea of whats happening.

first of all is the car cranking over? if so check the spark(or power to it) at various places, also airways and fuel system. if that dont uncover something then it starts getting abit more technical.

post ur findings and go from there.

dave.

richard

I'd suggest the following.

Fuel pump or tachymetric relay

fuel pump has a valve to stop fuel from draining back into the tank, if this has gone, then it will need to prime the system. For me this happened after it was left over 12-18 hours (worse in the heat)

Tachymetric relay is burning out, similar thing but this time it controls the fuel pump. Hence no fuel.

Id doubt that you'd have both problems, that would be unlucky.

Guest SeanT

OK seems to have got worse, its now decided not to start!!!!!!!!!.....Ive checked the dizzy seems ok, I can hear the fuel pump buzzing and there is fuel in the fuel rail, ive checked the plugs all look ok, I checked spark and there is no spark from the coil!!!!, so would this breakdown over time??...any ideas or better still anyone got a spare coil I can at least try to eliminate it near Harlow???

Thanks guys

I'd suggest the following.

Fuel pump or tachymetric relay

fuel pump has a valve to stop fuel from draining back into the tank, if this has gone, then it will need to prime the system. For me this happened after it was left over 12-18 hours (worse in the heat)

Tachymetric relay is burning out, similar thing but this time it controls the fuel pump. Hence no fuel.

Id doubt that you'd have both problems, that would be unlucky.

jackherer

I've been chasing a similar fault with my friends Mi16 and it seems to have been down to a weak spark caused by two things, the first was a leaky rocker cover letting a bit of oil get onto the spark plugs and the second was a weak coil.

I can lend you a coil if you want, if no one nearer can help.

Guest SeanT

Thanks Jack, if know one a bit nearer can help Ill take you up on that offer of borrowing your spare coil...thanks again

I've been chasing a similar fault with my friends Mi16 and it seems to have been down to a weak spark caused by two things, the first was a leaky rocker cover letting a bit of oil get onto the spark plugs and the second was a weak coil.

I can lend you a coil if you want, if no one nearer can help.

Guest SeanT

OK the mystery continues, Ive fitted a brand new coil and still nowt!!!!.....so what would be the next thing in line to stop the spark???.....all ideas welcome, thanks again Guys.

Thanks Jack, if know one a bit nearer can help Ill take you up on that offer of borrowing your spare coil...thanks again

bitchass 205

Ok, this may not help in the slightest. but i've had the relay replaced and all went well untill one day when i started the car (1.6) it would hesitate then start untill one day it didn't start at all. A friend of mine came over to look and it was a loose connection to somewhere in the back of the inlet manifold. little blue wire if i remember rightly, had come loose. works like a dream now!

:):o

steve@cornwall

Had similar probs with many cars like this- due to weak battery? not enough juice to crank and spark at the same time! Try a full charge and see what happens, at least it's a free check!

Guest SeanT

thanks guys, battery is fine though....the engine is an mi16......anyother thoughts its a nightmare not being able to use the car!!!!

thanks

Had similar probs with many cars like this- due to weak battery? not enough juice to crank and spark at the same time! Try a full charge and see what happens, at least it's a free check!

Rob_the_Sparky

Well again on an 8v I had problems starting but running fine and it turned out to be the ignition amp. The signal from the dizzy was weaker on cranking than once it started so it had problems only when starting.

Given that Mi management worked from the crank sensor though this may be of no use at all! Just thought I'd add this as an input......

Rob

Guest SeanT

OK guys so where would be the next point of call, would the ignition amp cause no spark if it had gone????????? anything else I can check??

Thanks

Well again on an 8v I had problems starting but running fine and it turned out to be the ignition amp. The signal from the dizzy was weaker on cranking than once it started so it had problems only when starting.

Given that Mi management worked from the crank sensor though this may be of no use at all! Just thought I'd add this as an input......

Rob

Rob_the_Sparky

Is it running MI engine management?

If yes then ignore my post and I have no idea. If it is running a dizzy conversion then my point is valid...

Guest SeanT

hey rob,

yes it is running mi management, but thanks for your input anyway..:(...any other ideas??

Is it running MI engine management?

If yes then ignore my post and I have no idea. If it is running a dizzy conversion then my point is valid...

Guest SeanT

OK so tried a different ign amp and still no luck!!.....has anyone else got any other suggestions?? Im at a loss now and really need to get the car back on the road..

Thanks

hey rob,

yes it is running mi management, but thanks for your input anyway..:rolleyes:...any other ideas??

inferno

as suggested today m8,sounds like a bodge or corroded connection wating to happen!the mi16loom isnt as simple to fit as the

bx so any of the cuts cld of cme undone.ill help u out saterday morning if ur still stumped!

Guest SeanT

cheers yeah I thnk I will be calling saturday....I was thinking maybe it could be the immobiliser aftersearching through some posts....thing is how do i disconnect it so i can rule it out??

Cheers guys and cheers for the help so far inferno..:rolleyes:

as suggested today m8,sounds like a bodge or corroded connection wating to happen!the mi16loom isnt as simple to fit as the

bx so any of the cuts cld of cme undone.ill help u out saterday morning if ur still stumped!

davev

i know it might not be much help but i was just checking through the haynes manual and it has a page of checks you can do on the car to find out the exact fault even id its the wiring.

im sorry as i cant host the page but im looking in the owners workshop manual(purple colour)page 117. if that helps. maybe someone on here can put the page up and the diagram on the opersite side.

dave.

frodo_monkey

I had a similar issue on my racer, turned out to be a knackered earth strap between the engine and the body - if you have a multimeter to hand, check out the resistance there, I had something like 80 ohms! A quick fix involving cutting a jump lead, and it was all fixed...

kate205gti

i can lend u some bits but mines on bodies and ecu so not sure what bits it would still have that would be the same :rolleyes: (not got ign amp, still has cas, coil, dizzy, etc.. thou)

if its def getting petrol and def not getting a spark then its got to be electrical somewhere - is it just turning over and over or is there nothing at all?

try connecting a new earth strap for a start and also what about the dizzy cap? has it still got contact points intact? ;)

Guest SeanT

Thanks for the hints, Ive got a haynes manual Ill take a look through it this morning...:P

Thanks for the offer Kate, yeah its defo getting Petrol and Ive been checking wires everywhere, its got a new earth from the gearbox, although the main electricals are not a total bodge but some of it looks slightly dodgy so Im trying to trace most things back...I lookd and cleaned up the dizzy cap, although this isnt really that old....the thing is Im getting no spark from the coil itself so Im thinking it must be something before the coil(ive replaced the coil and king lead)

Ill be out there again today when I get time to try and look at it again......

Thanks guys

i can lend u some bits but mines on bodies and ecu so not sure what bits it would still have that would be the same :wacko: (not got ign amp, still has cas, coil, dizzy, etc.. thou)

if its def getting petrol and def not getting a spark then its got to be electrical somewhere - is it just turning over and over or is there nothing at all?

try connecting a new earth strap for a start and also what about the dizzy cap? has it still got contact points intact? :)

Guest SeanT

OK I GIVE UP!!!!, damn car!!......Ive used up my very limited knowledge on diagnosing this problem, looks like ill be calling you saturday morning inferno...:D

Thanks guys

Thanks for the hints, Ive got a haynes manual Ill take a look through it this morning...:blush:

Thanks for the offer Kate, yeah its defo getting Petrol and Ive been checking wires everywhere, its got a new earth from the gearbox, although the main electricals are not a total bodge but some of it looks slightly dodgy so Im trying to trace most things back...I lookd and cleaned up the dizzy cap, although this isnt really that old....the thing is Im getting no spark from the coil itself so Im thinking it must be something before the coil(ive replaced the coil and king lead)

Ill be out there again today when I get time to try and look at it again......

Thanks guys

Guest chieftain

Ive been having this same problem with my 1.9,just cant figure out what it is!!

Andy

Guest SeanT

Just a question, and maybe a dumb one but is there any relays or fuses that could stop me getting a spark???? Straws and grabbing spring to mind!!!..:D

Ive been having this same problem with my 1.9,just cant figure out what it is!!

Andy

Sign in to follow this