• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest BrainFluid

Exhaust Advise Please

Guest BrainFluid

Time for a new exhaust!

But this time I thought I might as well do it properly and get a stainless steel one.

Were talking about an exaust for a 205Td here and I've heard that I can get a straight through exhaust which I fancy.

Where is the best place to source one and would it still come in 3 pieces?

Are there any rules I should know about and are there any other cars I could rob one out of or that i could widen my search with???

I'm just looking for a nice tidy set up, no stupid big enders or anything but I am aware that If you got a better flow with your exaust then technically you can get better results from an engine.

hengti

'off the shelf', i think you're looking at a GTi system - which will fit, but you'll need to check out the exhaust manifold downpipe to system union. even if it won't fit straight on, it can be made to with some metal work.

downside is that it'll almost certainly come with a rude boy tail pipe (3" seems to be the smallest most people do). also - not sure how a GTi system would affect the running of the td engine (or if it would at all).

is it fitted with a cat/lambda sensor?

a company called Longlife custom make ss systems to fit any car and are probably a better bet. nearest branch to you is in leeds. there may be others who carry out this kind of business closer to home though.

unless you go the 'off the shelf route' and buy a second hand system (Magnex systems pop up on here quite frequently), you're probably looking at £230-£300 whichever option you choose.

Guest BrainFluid

Thanks so far Hengti.

There is no Cat as far as i'm aware and deffo no lambada sensor.

So I'm presuming it will still come in 3 pieces and the middle and back box off any petrol 205 will suffice? Maybe I'll just get those for the time being and keep the standard down pipe...Does that sound acceptable?

Nate.

EDIT: Do the middle section and the back box fit all the three Phases of 205? Mines phase 2...

Edited by BrainFluid

Greenys_meanies

Brain...do away with the back box, just use the middle box, it will improve the turbo spool up and improves performance slightly. i've done it on mine, loads better. going for a home built custom s/s one soon.

hengti

not sure how interchangeable the sections are between GTi and non GTi models - the most important union is the one where the manifold down pipe joins the system - pipe bores vary. if you can make it fit there, the rest of the system will go on fine (although you need to be sure it's the right length so that it will follow the std exhaust route under the car)

as for how many sections a ss system would come in - the Piper system i run is a two piece - backbox and intermediate pipe (including silencer) which runs up to the manifold

dunno about the magnex - systems made by other manufacturers might have more components

unless you're specifically after a ss system, i'd stick with std (td) parts if i were you (personal opinion - not a recommendation)

hth

Greenys_meanies

the td system is a gti one

hengti
Brain...do away with the back box, just use the middle box, it will improve the turbo spool up and improves performance slightly. i've done it on mine, loads better. going for a home built custom s/s one soon.

do you mean do away with the middle box?

Guest BrainFluid

Or away with the back box? Sounds pretty interesting!

Plus, is the Td downpipe the same as the Gti's or are the middle and back just the same?

hengti

if the td system is the same as the GTi one, you'd have to assume the downpipe union is the same too

if you did away with the back box (never heard of that one before), you'd need to make up a pipe in a pipe bender to connect up to the intermediate pipe, weld on the back box hangers (somehow - ?) and hope it isn't too noisy

Guest BrainFluid
if the td system is the same as the GTi one, you'd have to assume the downpipe union is the same too

Yeah, lets hope so :)

As for not having a back box and noise theres not so much to worry about with it being diesel and the turbo itself acts as a muffler too, thats right, right?

Greenys_meanies

Right, the turbo acts as a muffler, the downpipe i don't know if it's different or not but the middle and back are identical. it's not too noisy, bit chugy at idle, but to be fair the engine noise still drowns it out! as far as buiding a rear section, i cut the flange of an old back box, welded it to a straight piece of pipe, cut it to length, put the exhaust hangers on it too, job's done. the middle box is straight through and the back box has baffles in it. a turbo needs no backpressure as it creates it's own.

Daz

EDIT, just checked the parts catalogue and all the exhaust is different, however i know i had a gti back box on mine. the front is different.

Edited by Greenys_meanies

Grim.Badger

On the two part system only the back box is the same between the TD and the GTi, not sure about the three peice system.

I would be very surprised if the down pipes were the same as IIRC the turbo sits much lower on the engine than the exhaust manifold on the GTi.

Greenys_meanies

the downpipes are different, cut and shut if you need too.

Guest BrainFluid

As it is only the middle section needs to be replaced at the moment, guess i'll just replace that with a straight through piece of stainless :D

sonofsam

Hi Mate, I would suggest that also.. special tuning do a straight through interpipe however its not S/ST only painted M/ST..

If you wanted to save your self a bit of welding well worth checking out the Jetex range of exhaust goodies i am currently building a straight through full system using these parts for my turbo exhaust and there very handy having swaged ends.ie a pipe of the same diameter will push fit in and can be clamped into the end as the swage has enlarged the ID.

Jetex bits can be found at www.coolmotion.co.uk they do a full sizeing and length range.

Have fun :D

Sam.

Guest BrainFluid

Groovy. Cheers mucho amigo :D

mishu

I'm interrested in this thread as well, as my exhaust is cracked and needs to be replaced. I have to admit, it's cracked with style, because the 1.1 now sounds almost like a rally car. :D

But anyway, after reading this thread, here's what I'd like to do (let me know if I'm (not) making sense): Being a 1.1, I'm expecting a 3 part exhaust. Does the first part (from the engine) have the muffler? If so, I'm keeping that, but I'm thinking of making the 2nd and 3rd parts go straight through.. doesn't the last part of the exhaust act as a muffler too, though? Or is that the actual muffler? I looked at the 1.6 GTi donor I'm using, and its exhaust is very rusty, so I guess using that (even if it were possible) is out of the question. Any other bits along the 2nd and 3rd parts of the exhaust I should keep?

Tell me what you think,

mishu

Sign in to follow this