• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
richard

Brakes And Suspension

richard

All,

Since my car passed its mot yesterday (a couple of light issues thats all) i need (want) to do two things to it.

1: Brakes, the discs are pitted so need replacing, bit annoyed as they have done 5k but are std discs. Would like to uprate them slightly as well as the pads. Suggestions please.

2: suspension, without opening a can of worms ive had so many different options put before me that im totally confused. I want the car dropped 30-35mm max. And would like to have some degree of comfort (ie not wreck delicate camera gear)

I guess im looking at a fast road setup? Im taking it on the ring, :P but also want to be able to use it for the shops....or driving 300-500 miles if im off to a circuit, as in spectating or sports photography shooting.

Ive had suggestions from

std all round, billies eihbach springs, avo coilovers, gaz coilovers, koni's....... i would no matter what be looking at replacing all of the bushes on the car at the same time.

confused.

Jonmurgie

Best thing... pick a budget, tell us what it is and we can suggest alternative setups for you. Without an idea of what you have to spend then you will get totally confused!

richard

Fair point Jon.

Suspension i dont want to go above 350-500 absolute max. (ring trip costs are mounting up a bit more than i expected, as well as a heavy month of tax, mot and insurance!)

C_W

You should be able to get either Koni kit or Bilstein Sprintline kit for that I'd imagine (Koni being a fair bit cheaper usually and adjustable).

You could try just some uprated pads, depends how hard its driven. Mintex's new "Extreme" pad seemed fine at trackday in my brothers heavy MG ZT.

TEKNOPUG

I wouldn't bother with "performance" discs tbh. You aren't going to be generating enough force/heat to require them. Just get another set of OE - they're just round bit's of iron at the end of the day. Regarding pads; run a search, been covered lots of times. Look for fast road pads from Mintex or Ferodo but be prepared for brake squeal when upgrading from OE.

Suspension is slightly harder. The GTi OE suspension is pretty stiff already for a road car (when new) so lowering and uprating the suspension further will definitely be to the detriment of the ride and comfort. See if you can catch a ride in other peoples 205's to find our how they compare. If that's not possible then maybe ere on the side of caution and fit new, genuine Peugeot shocks but with Eibach springs (or SBC) and a matching lowering job at the rear. You could invest in GrpN top mounts to tighten it all up a little further. This way you can spend a little dosh and see how it drives without blowing your whole budget and finding your teeth drop out.

jackherer

nice one on the MOT B) fingers crossed for my retest at 5.30 today :P

I agree with Teknopug on the discs, just get some standard ones and some decent pads. Also agree you should try some different suspension setups to see how they feel...

Bonzai

im running a GAZ setup bought from rally design http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/produ...roducts_id=8761 along with uprated mounts from BBM and a lowered + refurbed beam from anthony

It handles sublime although there is no more LOO, but it is quite stiff, a little too much to be comfortable but i think thats down to the uprated mounts more than the shocks/springs. without the beam refurb, itll cost you a shade under 400 providing you can get someone friendly to lower the beam. its worth saving up and getting/doing a refurb beam though in my opinion, just for peace of mind ;)

Rippthrough
im running a GAZ setup bought from rally design http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/produ...roducts_id=8761 along with uprated mounts from BBM and a lowered + refurbed beam from anthony

It handles sublime although there is no more LOO, but it is quite stiff, a little too much to be comfortable but i think thats down to the uprated mounts more than the shocks/springs. without the beam refurb, itll cost you a shade under 400 providing you can get someone friendly to lower the beam. its worth saving up and getting/doing a refurb beam though in my opinion, just for peace of mind ;)

Try dampertech too, usually they work out a shade cheaper than Rally Design.

SPGTi
Try dampertech too, usually they work out a shade cheaper than Rally Design.

Or look in the group buy section!!!!!

Rippthrough
Or look in the group buy section!!!!!

Dampertech worked out a little cheaper than the group buys kits for me.... :)

-Phillip

jonnie205

Ok, standard disks for sure and use uprated pads, prob 1155 mintex for heavy track and occasional road work.

Forget coilovers for that budget, not tried gaz but all the cheapo ones i have tried are shocking inc avo (much worse than standard). To get a decent coilover it will be big bucks £800+

I would go for koni adjustable kit but with group n top mount rubber and if budget can stretch 309 gti lower arms to give slight neg camber. Koni rear shox are v hard for the road but good on track, best to try and see how you get on, standard 1.9 shocks on rear are hard to beat for road use.

Dino

Forget Koni adjustables, the softest setting will shake your fillings out.

Like Ive told you already.........go for bilstein sprintlines. Teknopug has them on his car and the ride is very nice indeed - almost as good as SBC set up :)

Stop being gay and get it sorted you pervy essex bstard :P

Edited by Dino

Pug_101

Aren't there 2 types of Koni kits, the yellows (ie sprintline level) or the red set which are just a bit better than standard, I think they are upto 25% more and adjustable

richsmells

I've got brand new OE shocks from pug all round with SBC springs and grpN topmounts and it's f***ing terrible. Very bouncy, tends to skip over bumps quite a lot. Very stiff but handles well. Top mount bearings are on their way out as the steering feels vague. Considering a new rack to tighten it all up.

The droplinks are creaking as well so will replace them also.

Edited by richsmells

TEKNOPUG

Sorry, I didn't suggest the Bilstein Sprintlines as I was inferring that comfort was a priority. If you want fast-road suspension then I would treat this kit as the minimum requirement. If you can't afford it now, save up. I wouldn't bother with anything else this side of £500.

pug_ham

Slightly uprated front discs are easy, ATE Powerdiscs. They only cost a few £'s more than standard replacement ones & are far better lasting & performing imo. Even with standard Bendix pads I've yet to suffer fade but I'm not heavy on brakes.

Forget Koni adjustables, the softest setting will shake your fillings out.
Thats only for the rears imo, I've got Koni yellows fitted to the front of my car & Bilstein group N tarmac 205 shocks on the rear & the ride is fine both on roads & track & the fronts are set at near 3/4 stiff. The Billies are far better on the rear & I'd recommend them to anyone over Koni rear adjustables.

Graham.

jonnie205

YEp koni rear very hard but front very ones very good. Avo now do a motorsport range of coilovers which could be ok, but again these are £800 a set. Again bilstein sprintline or koni are your best choice

richard

Cheers for the replies people!

Brakes, im thinking Mintex 1144's on front with ate discs, rear, std pads, ate discs.

Suspension.....hmmn

front: bilstein sprints, eihbach springs

rear: bilstein grpN

new bushes all round

Car isnt used that much (ie not at all presently, see the general section).

Sound good for a pretty much std power 1.9?

TEKNOPUG

Well, I wouldn't bother with spending any cash above OE for the rear brakes as they do very little braking anyway, but if Graham says that ATE discs aren't much pricier than normal, I'll accept that.

I run my Sprintlines with GrpN top mounts and 50 profile tyres, which add to the stiffness of the ride. Comfort would be improved with running OE top mounts and even 55 profile tyres, without sacrificing much in roadholding.

Baz

I have Koni adjustables and find the fronts fine, it's just as said, the rears are too hard! Also run ATE powerdiscs on the same car with braided lines, and love it, excellent braking feel.

What sort of money are Sprintlines then? I presume the ame sort of pricebracket as the Koni's if were comparing them?

TEKNOPUG

£480ish IIRC

Sign in to follow this