• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mishu

Suspension Overhaul

mishu

Hello,

I'm thinking of doing some overhaul work on the entire car, now that I've got a 205 1.6 GTi donor. My car is a 1.1 base model, but as I understand it the rear and front beams will fit, provided I also put in the GTi suspension (shocks/spings/torsion bars/etc.) and it will also take the base hubs (which I don't plan to change for now, but probably will for some 1.9 in the future.. maybe). Did I understand correctly?

I was wondering whether you could tell me what rubbers are in the suspension which need changing, because right now it's kind of squeeky all around. (Just wandering where to look)

Also, my gear level is all soft and I can throw it around freely when it's in neutral and it feels very wrong (almost disconnected). I assume this is also some used rubber/spring that might need replacing.. am I right?

Thanks,

mishu

richard

Hi Mishu,

your gear leaver problem is easily sorted by replacing the rods and tightening up the bolt under the lever. (underneath the car!)

You might want to think about new rods for what the cost and the effort involved.

1 question though, if you have a 1.6gti, why are you using this as a donor? Surely it would be better to bring the 1.6 backup to scratch...or is that too far gone to save?

Suspension id suggest you change all of the bushes and top mounts to start with..shocks as well whilst your at it. It will transform the car.

Grim.Badger

iirc there should be (per side);

Front: Two bushes on the lower suspension arm (wishbone)

One large rubber bush inside the suspension strut top mount

One rubber bumpstop on the shock absorber

Back: One sandwich plate between the rear beam rear mounting pint and the body of the car

One bush in the front mounting point of the rear beam. It would be difficulkt to describe where this is so you'd best read the beam rebuild guide on the main site. this is the one that needs burning and cutting out.

If the shock rods move in and out with no trouble and aren't too easy to move then they are probably okay.

Use http://www.stuartmcguire.co.uk/pug/ to check everything as you go.

mishu

Unfortunately the 1.6 is indeed 'too far gone', since it doesn't have any interior, the hubs/wheels have been taken away as well, and most importantly it isn't even registered (and can't be). Therefore, I plan to take as much from it as I can and get my own Pug in top shape.

I also saw an episode of Wheeler Dealers on Discovery last night where they had the exact same problem with the gear level, and the linkages were indeed the problem. Thanks!

Grim.Badger: I've read the rear beam guide and know the bush you're referring to. Thanks!

jackherer
I also saw an episode of Wheeler Dealers on Discovery last night where they had the exact same problem with the gear level, and the linkages were indeed the problem.

the people that made that program are idiots, take everything they say with a pinch of salt :P

mishu

So, let me get this straight (I've searched the forum and found some topics, but just want to make sure .. because it could get expensive if I'm wrong):

I'm planning to put the 1.6 GTi front beam/subframe and suspension on the 1.1 GR, buy new GTi suspension to go with the beam, and use the base hubs off the 1.1.

Since I'm not changing the engine (yet), I'm also planning to stick with the 1.1 driveshafts. The 1.1 steering will stay as well (the GTi's has been stripped). Are there any incompatibilities between these?

I've taken a photo of the GTi front underside.. am I right in thinking the driveshafts are the shafts with the rubber at both ends, leading into the darker part (which I assume is the differential)? Would these fit the 1.1? Should I bother?

Sorry if I'm asking already answered questions, but I don't want to risk getting it wrong. Thanks.

j-16

Yes that is the nearside drive shaft entering the diff. I don't think these driveshafts will fit your 1.1 as you have a TU-type gearbox and the Gti's use BE-boxes. These aren't interchangeable so doubt the shafts are.

If you are swapping the suspension over i would replace the wishbone bushes and inspect all the gaitors ie at either end of the drive shafts and on the ball joint on the wish bone. I would also replace the sandwich mount on the rear beam. If you are doing things properly you would really want to strip the rear beam and replace bearings as these are a known weak point on 205's.

Have you considered your car will be far lighter than a 1.6 GTi and the Gti's suspension is set up with this taken into consideration. ie will your car look like a 4x4?

mishu
Have you considered your car will be far lighter than a 1.6 GTi and the Gti's suspension is set up with this taken into consideration. ie will your car look like a 4x4?

Good point, I was thinking of putting on some Eibach springs (lowering the car about 20-30mm?) to correct that. What do you think?

BTW, do you happen to know what wheels I can put on the car? Are the arches different on the base models (i.e. my 1.1) than on the 1.6? I was thinking of 15" (maybe Speedlines?), but don't know if that's doable...

Thank you very much for your help.

mishu

Are the gaitors the rubber parts at the ends of the drive shafts? Sorry, I'm not very familiar with the English part names.

Also, since you haven't mentioned the steering, I assume it will fit with the GTi subframe?

j-16

The arches are a subtley different shape on the base model making fitting speedlines a bit tricky. If you stick to 185 tyres and don't lower much you should be o.k. I'd probably go with 1.6 alloy if you're taking a few passangers. Both are chaep on ebay so experiment. Actually do you have ebay where you are? (sorry for my ignorance!)

Eibach spring will be stiffer so although they will be shorter they might still make the car look quite high. I'm not sure what to suggest really. If you are planning on using a gti engine in the future maybe you can live with it being a little high for a while?

mishu

What exactly do you mean by 1.6 alloy? I thought those were the Speedlines...

No, we don't have eBay, but I might be able to find some on the local used market...

Unfortunately it gets a bit tricky if I want to change up to the 1.6 engine due to the legislation, so it seems I'm stuck with the 1.1 (for the foreseable future anyway). No problem, I'll try the Eibachs and if the car is still too high, I'll just have to see.

j-16

The 1.6gti has 14" alloys with a "peppar pot" sort of design. The 1.9gti has 15" "speedlines" (speedline is actual the brand, the 1.9 alloys are also made by SMR on newer cars but people genarally call 1.9 alloys "speedlines")

Simes
The 1.6gti has 14" alloys with a "peppar pot" sort of design. The 1.9gti has 15" "speedlines" (speedline is actual the brand, the 1.9 alloys are also made by SMR on newer cars but people genarally call 1.9 alloys "speedlines")

AFAIK 1.6 wheels are also made by Speedline.

Sign in to follow this