• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
timmsy19

Battery Warning Light

timmsy19

i know this is probably a stupid question but my battery warning light came on this morning. car started fine and still does. :lol:

my head unit now cuts out when i turn it above a certain level. it done this when i had all 4 speakers pluged in so i took out the 2 back speakers thinking that it was just overloading the HU.

it was fine for a couple of weeks and now its doing it again but at a lower level of sound and with less speakers??

is this just a new battery job or could it be soemthing else???

steve@cornwall
i know this is probably a stupid question but my battery warning light came on this morning. car started fine and still does. :lol:

my head unit now cuts out when i turn it above a certain level. it done this when i had all 4 speakers pluged in so i took out the 2 back speakers thinking that it was just overloading the HU.

it was fine for a couple of weeks and now its doing it again but at a lower level of sound and with less speakers??

is this just a new battery job or could it be soemthing else???

Mine did this- if it happens when the car is running as well as when parked- suspect alternator.Changed my alternator and sorted it- also stopped tickover revs from falling when lights/wipers etc on!

timmsy19

it does it when its running not sure if it does it when its not as i havnt had time to check yet.

when i have my headunit say above 16 which isnt very loud and i flash my lights to let someone out of a junction the headunit turns of and on.

would this be an alternator problem???

how much for a new alternator? ive been quoted £45 for a battery from halfrauds

jackherer

my mates alternator died yesterday, with exactly the same symptoms.

that reminds me, I'm supposed to be fixing it....

timmsy19
my mates alternator died yesterday, with exactly the same symptoms.

that reminds me, I'm supposed to be fixing it....

will try alternator first then. i did suspect it to be that i just wanted to check

you better get and fix it then. :lol:

Rob_the_Sparky

If things are slowing down, or lights dimming then voltage is dropping. Alternator should charge at between 13.8 and 14.5 whereas battery voltage is around 12V. If alternator output can't cope with the load then voltage dips to battery voltage, hence lights dimming and fans slowing down a bit.

Does sound likely that it is an alternator but shop around, Halfrauds are rarely the cheapest, just the most convienent. You could just get a second hand one to prove the point.

Rob

timmsy19
If things are slowing down, or lights dimming then voltage is dropping. Alternator should charge at between 13.8 and 14.5 whereas battery voltage is around 12V. If alternator output can't cope with the load then voltage dips to battery voltage, hence lights dimming and fans slowing down a bit.

Does sound likely that it is an alternator but shop around, Halfrauds are rarely the cheapest, just the most convienent. You could just get a second hand one to prove the point.

Rob

ive not noticed the headlights dimming as ive not driven in the dark recently :lol:

the fans have typical 205 fault and just dont work anyway. the electric windows are a tad slow to go back up but not down. just thought this would be a fault with the windows

bitchass 205

Before you go spending money on a new alternater check the brushes/bushes inside, my battery warning light comes on all the time but only very faintly. Someone suggested it could be the brushes on the inside? ;)

Also when you've found the problem you can come and change my alternator!!! :lol:

timmsy19

brushes??? what you mean?? its constant so not sure it would be that anyhow. if you get an alternator then i will come fit it.

timmsy19

ok checked it when i finished work and key i turn the key once it doesnt the battery light doesnt come on. but is on constantly when the engine is running.

there isnt even enough power now to run the hu and the wipers are getting slower. not checked the lights yet.

does this mean the battery is slowly going flat aswel.

bitchass 205

Sounds like battery then, Andrew has got a battery charger which you could try when you come up?

timmsy19

not sure it will last that long. i cant even use my hu now.

Rob_the_Sparky

Yes the battery is going flat from what you describe, although it is the alternator not charging it that is making it go flat...

Can you check the battery voltage with the engine off and engine running? Should be higher with it running as the alternator should be charging (sounds like it isn't though).

Rob

timmsy19

ok will check that. what should it be reading if all ok.

jackherer
ok will check that. what should it be reading if all ok.

engine off should be about 12V

engine on should be more than it was with the engine off, more like 13-14v

like Rob said the most important thing is that the voltage goes up when the engine is running.

timmsy19

well its finaly stopped working. about 12miles away from home at 10o'clock tonight. i stopped then it just didnt want to start again not even a tickover from the starter motor. :blink:

im really starting not to like this 205 ownership thing.

Sign in to follow this