• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jrod

Xs Solex Carb Question

Jrod

Ok when you look down into the carb you can see 2 jets next to each other.

What are these jets and should they be screwed in tight?

I assume you adjust these to richen / lean the mixture, does anyone know the standard settings?

Edited by Jrod

Guest MrAsh

on my one i screwed these in tight as they didnt seem to do much to me (probably wrong) but to adjust the mixture there is a tiny screw to the rear on the left of my carb tucked down a tube facing out.

Jrod

I wasn't trying to adjust the mixture, the car was stuttering loads at 5k plus. I screwed the one that was really loose all the way in now it's fixed.

I just want to make sure this isn't going to blow my car up. :unsure:

trogboy

What you can see in the middle of the carb in the recess between the 2no. barrels are the 2no. emulsion tubes for the primary and secondary circuits.

If you take these out (remember which one is which) the main and secondary jets are below them - you won't be able to see them very well, if at all, as they are so far down (unless you have eyes like the iron man and can use then to light the holes at the same time as looking).

You need a long skinny screwdriver to get to these. They are only small - maybe 3mm across and 5-6mm long.

When these carbs block up it is usually because of crap in the main (primary) jet. Worth taking out and having a clean of the well beneath the jets if you've got the carb on the bench.

Jrod

ok well it was only the emulsion tubes i tightened then, are these supposed to be tight?

Greenys_meanies
ok well it was only the emulsion tubes i tightened then, are these supposed to be tight?

they should be tight, but just nipped up as they are brass usually and will strip the threads.

Daz

JimyFloyd

Best bet mate is to take the whole thing apart. They should be tight, but as above don't overtighten.

Take them out first and check for any black stuff/grit...give em a good clean.

Mine ran better when I split the carb in half and cleaned out the bottom of the fuel chambers (they were full of grit).

Also from past experience check ur HT leads/dizzy/rotor arm etc. for damage, mine was stuttering and it turned out to be a fecked HT lead!

PugAddict

This happened to me on my old XS, exactly the same symptoms.

I tightened both the gold screws and it fixed the problem that had been dogging me for months!! :unsure:

Also ran carb cleaner (Redex) through the fuel system and directly into the carb to clean it up.

D

Jrod

I took the tubes out and blew through them with compressed air to clean them, when I put them back in i tightened them but not over tight.

I assumed they had vibrated loose but a frien told me they were supposed to be loose so thought i best check!

Thanks for all the help/ advice, car is running sweet now. :unsure:

JimyFloyd
I took the tubes out and blew through them with compressed air to clean them, when I put them back in i tightened them but not over tight.

I assumed they had vibrated loose but a frien told me they were supposed to be loose so thought i best check!

Thanks for all the help/ advice, car is running sweet now. :)

No worries mate! Hope it stays that way :D

Sign in to follow this