• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
vern

Which Turbo On A Tt

vern

Which turbo's are people using on there TT conversions.

I was thinking of rebulding existing T25, or would it be better to use the new GT25 series are there any power gains from the GT series etc. Also has anyone got a GT28 running, same again is there any gains to be had and do they fit in a 205 easily.

TEKNOPUG

GT25 is same size and performance as T25 - just newer. GT25-R has 360 roller bearing for better performance and longevity.

GT28 and R are slightly bigger. Prices are pretty similar. Costs to rebuild T25 is not far off the price to import an new charger from the states. I would opt for fitting a GT28 if buying new. Because it is slightly larger and capable of more boost, it won't need to spin as fast as a T25 to achieve the same boost. Therefore the intake charge wont be as hot and you'll get more power for the same boost (or the same power for less boost). Will obviously be a little more lag, although not if you wind the boost down to get the same power level. Depends how much power you want. T25's are at their limits at about 1 bar - but that should be enough for 220+bhp with a little head work and decent engine management. Not sure if mods need to be made to exhaust manifold to fit GT28 - probably not. Ask Nick309TT - he ran a GT28 on his.

Bear in mind that the TT T25 is in fact a hybrid - T25 impeller with T3 compressor (I think). So you'd lose performance if you fitted a standard T25. Have a look on DP Engineerings website for more in depth reviews of the aforementioned blowers.

vern

thanks for reply, I didn't think the TT turbo was a hybrid, i am sure I read somewhere it is classed as a hybrid as it is not standard fitment or something like that.

I thought fitting the Gt25 gave a perfomence increase better design etc, well that is what I read on tinternet. Will the extra size of the GT28 fit in a 205, as I guess nick309tt has a 309!!. it has more space under bonnet to fit it, anyone fitted one to a 205?.

As for costs I was looking at buying a new one from states, as you said its as cheap to buy from states as rebuild here.

Has anyone brought one from the states if so where from etc?.

TEKNOPUG
thanks for reply, I didn't think the TT turbo was a hybrid, i am sure I read somewhere it is classed as a hybrid as it is not standard fitment or something like that.

I thought fitting the Gt25 gave a perfomence increase better design etc, well that is what I read on tinternet. Will the extra size of the GT28 fit in a 205, as I guess nick309tt has a 309!!. it has more space under bonnet to fit it, anyone fitted one to a 205?.

As for costs I was looking at buying a new one from states, as you said its as cheap to buy from states as rebuild here.

Has anyone brought one from the states if so where from etc?.

They all have T25 inlet flanges - so should all fit

http://www.dp-engineering.nl/EN/products/t...argers/garrett/

They won't be any bigger in physical size (not enough to worry about anyway).

As I said the GT25 is a newer version of the T25, so will give a slight improvement.

The TT T25 is definitely a hybrid, no question. I'm pretty sure it's a T25/T3.

Tom M bought a GT28 from the States speak to him. I have a receipt for a rebuild to my T25 just before I bought the car and it's almost £500. So it makes sense just to buy a new one IMO.

sonofsam

I have been considering a GT28 for a while now. Item no. 8051340415 on ebay, it seems such a good price.

vern

Just spoken to Turbo technics, and they said it is a standard T25, but I got the impression he was not sure. Depending on what is required, rebuild + 360 bearing would be about 400 +vat and about £40 to get it inspected. Owen Developments wanted 150 just to inspect and report!!.

I looked on DP website and unsure if GT28 will fit looks like it has different inlet and exhaust fittings, will wait to see if someone has fitted one to a 205>

That one on ebay is not a genuine garrett, some copy they produce, hence why it is so cheap.

Edited by vern

nickpug309tt
Just spoken to Turbo technics, and they said it is a standard T25, but I got the impression he was not sure. Depending on what is required, rebuild + 360 bearing would be about 400 +vat and about £40 to get it inspected. Owen Developments wanted 150 just to inspect and report!!.

I looked on DP website and unsure if GT28 will fit looks like it has different inlet and exhaust fittings, will wait to see if someone has fitted one to a 205>

That one on ebay is not a genuine garrett, some copy they produce, hence why it is so cheap.

Yep, some one has fitted one on a 205 TT. Quickest 8v I have ever seen! 250 bhp and ran a 13.2 quarter!

Saw it with my own eyes! Do a search on posts by me. I listed everything I did to get it to fit. I made an extra 30 bhp just by bolting this baby on GT28R and running 2 psi less than the T25. Good news is Matt Sav from QEP did all the work for me top get this baby to fit, so can do it again if needed. Let me know if you want to know more about GT28R on a TT. Best thing I ever did! Also turbo lag was only 200 rpm behind, which I never noticed on the road.

TEKNOPUG
Yep, some one has fitted one on a 205 TT. Quickest 8v I have ever seen! 250 bhp and ran a 13.2 quarter!

Saw it with my own eyes! Do a search on posts by me. I listed everything I did to get it to fit. I made an extra 30 bhp just by bolting this baby on GT28R and running 2 psi less than the T25. Good news is Matt Sav from QEP did all the work for me top get this baby to fit, so can do it again if needed. Let me know if you want to know more about GT28R on a TT. Best thing I ever did! Also turbo lag was only 200 rpm behind, which I never noticed on the road.

What PSI were you running to get 250bhp Nick?

vern

Thanks nick looked at your posts, what room did you have with standard turbo to the bulkhead etc, I saw from pics you had about 1" but what did you get after QEP "adjusted" it to fit?. What did he do to make it fit?, or am I being overly worried about space?.

nickpug309tt
What PSI were you running to get 250bhp Nick?

Was not me that got 250 bhp unfortunately :P But was a chap called Dave who showed me how to fit the GT28R to the TT. He was running 1 bar with water injection. However, he melted a piston not long after this.

Once he got the engine back and running, he ran about 230bhp with no problems. I could believe his claim of power as well as I saw him run a 13.2 quarter at Santa Pod with my own eyes :ph34r:

I ran mine on 11psi and got 177bhp at the wheels and the most torque I saw was 200 ib/ft. Never got round to running water injection though. I wanted to run 1 bar with water injection and I'm sure I would have seen another 15bhp from the engine, but unfortunately I never got round to it and sold the engine due to some pr*ck in a Audi TT hitting my car.

Hi Vern,

If I was you I'd fit a GT25R or GT25RS turbo. You will get a power increase with one of these turbos

and no machine work required to get the thing to fit. A GT28R is really over kill for the 8v. A GT25R will do nicely and will never be the weakest link when it comes to finding max power out of your TT like the old T25 thing is. The R is for roller bearing turbo, sorry if I am teaching you to suck eggs mate.

Anyway with the GT28R you need to machine some material off the compressor housing and also cut and shut the old tt intake pipe. Not a great deal of work really. Everything else is normal and no problems. The problem area when it comes to space is the master cyclinder. It gets in the way. No probelms with bulk head clearance. The chap I sold my GT28R turbo engine to is putting it in his 205 as we speak. I will see how he is getting on.

Cheers,

Nick

pdd144c

Owens may cost abit but at least you know its done right. All these turbos on ebay seem very cheap for what they are and most come from abroad. What happens when it goes wrong?! Better to spend a few hundred quid more now and save money in the long run. After what we talked about when you looked at my old engine im sure a T25 or GT25 would suit you fine for an everyday car, unless your plans have changed.

TEKNOPUG

Any Garrett turbo for less than £500 is gonna be a copy or secondhand for sure.

Is there any real differenct between a T25/GT25/GT25R other than the bearing? I know that you can specify a 360 thrust bearing when you get a T25 rebuilt.

nickpug309tt
Any Garrett turbo for less than £500 is gonna be a copy or secondhand for sure.

Is there any real differenct between a T25/GT25/GT25R other than the bearing? I know that you can specify a 360 thrust bearing when you get a T25 rebuilt.

The GT series has 60% less parts for a start and the turbine blade is a total new design.

I paid over £800 for my GT28R turbo.

vern

Information overload!!!!.

Teknopug like i said earlier and nick has said, I belive the newer Gt series turbos give a perfomence advantage over the old T25 style turbos. Yes the bearings are ball raced but I think they are more efficient and have better design of impellers etc.

Paul no my plans have not changed I was just looking at getting a nice reliable engine, the GT28 appeals to me as for the same ammount of pressure the turbo is not working as hard???, so allowing the intake temp to be lower, less heat . But if is going to involve a lot of hassle will not be worth it in the long run.

Surely as long as the turbo you are getting is a genuine one from an approved dealer should be no problems.

Owen just seemed expensive compared to turbo technics for a very similiar service and 3 times as much just to inspect and report, any reason why you chose them over turbo technics.

Nick looked on the net for using your old turbo part number and yours was a GT25 series, but a hybrid with T28 housing from a company called custum Fix or something like that. I don't think you are teaching me to suck eggs, but I would rather be told hence I why was asking the questions, as I have yet to fit the engine together yet and would rather iron out problems beforehand.

Has anyone actually brought from abroad??.

TEKNOPUG

Yep - Tom M bought a GT28 from the 'States, although it's still sitting on his bedroom floor....

As I said, the receipt I had from turbo technics for the inspection and rebuild of the T25 prior to me buying the car, was £495. There is no mention of a 360 bearing being fitted - which seems a little short-sited of the person to had it doen - although this was probably done to cost. If I was in that position now (having a smoking turbo), I'd save up the money for a newer GT25 if possible. Do you actually know that your turbo is duff, or is it simply a case of it being an unknow quantity? I'd bolt it altogther and see how it runs first before forking out a lot of cash for an inspection. If it is duff, you'll know almot straight away once the engine is running under load.

vern

The turbo I have now is of an unknown quantity, but does not look good, so would rather have a new one or rebuild, depending on cost so when engine is built I will not have to take it off again.

I was just seeing what anyone has done regarding fitting the Gt series turbo, as there is lots of different varieties and unsure of which ones actually fit and people have had working.

Do you know which company tom m got his turbo from?.

The price of fitting a 360 bearing at turbo technics is minimal about £100 so would get it done if having a rebuild.

TEKNOPUG

Got to Tom M profile and search for topics from him. Alternatively just mail him direct. You'd probably be looking at £600 for a fully rebuit T25 with 360 thrust bearing - so a brand new GT25 looks even more tempting.

A GT25R from DP engineering is £621 - and if you used that as an excuse for a weekend in Amsterdam, you wouldn't need to pay any duty either :)

Edited by TEKNOPUG

vern

That price is why I was looking at a new one, from ATP Turbos in the states which is a genuine dealer it is only $775 about £450.

nickpug309tt
That price is why I was looking at a new one, from ATP Turbos in the states which is a genuine dealer it is only $775 about £450.

My turbo was labeled GT28/25BB Another words what you said above, but not with any T series parts in it. All GT. The 25 part of my turbo was the exhaust part. The funny thing of having a roller bearing turbo under your bonnet is to still hear the turbo spinning for 30 seconds once you have already turn the engine off. :D

My advice to you vern is to get a GT25R turbo. :)

vern

Nick I think that is what i will do once i can figure out which one to get, as I said before there is quite a few varieties just unsure which one to get, hence asking the questions hoping someone has done the swap already.

pdd144c

I've had problems with TT before, things built wrong, different information depending on who answers the phone, and quite often a lack of interest, although that was mainly when asking about the 5th injector controller. Owens rebuilt my old turbo with no problems and its been perfect ever since. They replaced alot of the internals with newer off the shelf bits also, so any future maintenance should be easier. With regards to intake temps my T25 was fine up to about 12psi, always around 50 degrees. Anymore and it would creep up. A bigger intercooler may well have solved the problem, but I never got round to doing that. Got my RS500 intercooler in now on the T16 fits with 2mm spare either side of the headlights, another option perhaps? Only about £160 new from America. Im sure aot of the other TT lads run bigger intercoolers, not 100% sure what though.

TEKNOPUG

I've got an inlet temp gauge which I intend to fit (once I can work out where and how I'm gonna plug it in - as it's pretty big!) as I want to get a baseline figure with the TT I/C. I've bought a 2WD Cossie I/C to fit, mainly for aesthetic reasons as well as reduced temps. If I don't see temps going above 50c I may not bother, as I think it's gonna be hassle to re-route the boost pipes. Although, I guess any reduction in inlet temps will be beneficial to performance?

Edited by TEKNOPUG

tom_m
Yep - Tom M bought a GT28 from the 'States, although it's still sitting on his bedroom floor....

Do you know which company tom m got his turbo from?.

Sorry guys thats mis-information. I got my turbo from a guy with a 200sx on ebay. Its a rebuilt turbo from Turbo Dynamics with zero miles and the rebuild sheet.

I decided in the end after costing the turbo and accessories and postage (ATP rob you blind on the postage) from the states it was no cheaper than buying in the UK.

Have you looked at AET? http://www.aet-turbos.co.uk/ they stock viper turbos with all sorts of fancy accessories and options. if you have a word with them they should be able to give you a fairly competitive price with all the benefits of being a UK based company.

between turbo dynamics, AET and APEX tuning you should be able to pick up everything you need.

Edited by tom_m

pdd144c

Yeah Im fitting a air temp gauge on my T16 to monitor the inlet temp, definately a good thing to have. The colder the charge temp is the better everything will run, so it will be worth doing if temps are high. Not really sure how much of a difference it would make using the 5th injector setup as it doesnt take air temp into consideration? If your running aftermarket management with an air temp sensor and the ability to increase boost levels to a safe level you should see a healthy increase.

TEKNOPUG

I see what your saying about running increased boost but surely the lower the air temp, the more condensed the air and therefore the greater the bang?

Sign in to follow this