• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
vern

Which Turbo On A Tt

pdd144c

Yep. My TT used to run better in cold dense air than on a warm summers day as Im sure yours does.

vern

Paul I now know what you mean about turbo technics, they were very keen when I wanted turbo rebuilding, but were very cagey about a new one, the bloke never got back to me.

tom can not find an apex tuning site do you happen to know the website name.

vern

tom its alright found it, its apex perfomance parts

Edited by vern

TEKNOPUG

The thing with TT is that they haven't made any turbo convertd 205's, Sierra's, Capri's, Golf's etc for more than 10 years now. So most of the staff that work there now have no experience of them, they don't stock the parts etc and basically they aren't really interested.

Yep. My TT used to run better in cold dense air than on a warm summers day as Im sure yours does.

I'm sure that I've seen a formula somewhere that for every X increase in intake temp, there is a Y decrease in power and vice-versa. I'll have to see if I can find it.

vern

Does anyone know what the serial number of the TT turbo is, the garett plate is not on my turbo. As a lot of places need this before I can get a qoute, as they have not heard of a 205 turbo.

Finallly got hold of TT they want about £450 + vat to rebuild with new seals and 360 bearing and a bigger compressor wheel.

Turbo Dynamics will do a new hybrid GT for £650 + vat.

Edited by vern

TEKNOPUG

If you run a search on the net, you should be able to find all the technical details for the TT conversion, including the schematics and all the part number. I have them at home but probably won't be back until the weekend. No doubt someone else on here will be able to help you beforehand. The receipt I have from TT is £450+VAT for the rebuild - but it doesn't mention the 360 bearing. Sounds like quite a good deal if they are going to fit a bigger compressor wheel. However, they maybe quoting you for a bog-standard T25 - I'm certain that the 205 TT T25 has a bigger compressor wheel as standard. BTW - just drive mind for the first time in 2 months - man, are they silly-fast cars?!

If you run a search on the net, you should be able to find all the technical details for the TT conversion, including the schematics and all the part number. I have them at home but probably won't be back until the weekend. No doubt someone else on here will be able to help you beforehand. The receipt I have from TT is £450+VAT for the rebuild - but it doesn't mention the 360 bearing. Sounds like quite a good deal if they are going to fit a bigger compressor wheel. However, they maybe quoting you for a bog-standard T25 - I'm certain that the 205 TT T25 has a bigger compressor wheel as standard. BTW - just drove mine for the first time in 2 months - man, are they silly-fast cars?!

vern

I have the brochure about conversion with diagrams and numbers on etc, but what I need is the actual numbers off the little garett plate on the turbo housing.

the man at TT seemed to know what he was talking about, and it seemed that it did not matter about wheel size as a new one would be fitted and housing machined etc.

Edited by vern

pdd144c
I'm sure that I've seen a formula somewhere that for every X increase in intake temp, there is a Y decrease in power and vice-versa. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Be good to see that!

vern

I have decided to get my turbo rebuilt at owens, they are the only ones who seemed to give me the time and actually talked me out of getting a GT series, the main reasons are the lack of space and it will be a straight swop no probs with water, oil or inlet and outlet pipes.

I think I will be going for a bigger compressor wheel to give a bit more blow at the top end, he advised not to bother with a 360 degree bearing if not going to run much more than 1 bar of boost, as they run that much boost on diesels without any probs.

veloce200

Anyone know what the AR figure is on the std TT turbo? I am toying with the idea of turboing mine using custom parts and was thinking of using a Cossie T3 - anyone know how they compare ?

thanks

sonofsam

T3 is whooge! loads of lag.. but big fun when comes on boost.

TEKNOPUG

There was an Aussie 8v with a T3 and chargecooling which made silly figures.

veloce200
There was an Aussie 8v with a T3 and chargecooling which made silly figures.

this is the thing with turbos it's no easy comparison. I think the T3 on a cossie is AR.48 which should spool up quite quick but it only tells you part of the story! I'm thinking I'd like to run a light pressure installation which doesn't spool up too quick and break traction so ideally fairly high compression in conventional turbo terms so it is quick off boost and then boost progressively comes in at say 4k and above. effectively I want a £5000 MI16 engine without the cost! Plus I really want to keep 8 valves - it's a retro thing !

sonofsam

The bigger the turbo the longer it takes to spool up..progressive power doesn't really come in to it unless you have a high/low boost switch.

Its all or nothing but yes keep it 8 valve.

pdd144c
I have decided to get my turbo rebuilt at owens, they are the only ones who seemed to give me the time and actually talked me out of getting a GT series, the main reasons are the lack of space and it will be a straight swop no probs with water, oil or inlet and outlet pipes.

I think I will be going for a bigger compressor wheel to give a bit more blow at the top end, he advised not to bother with a 360 degree bearing if not going to run much more than 1 bar of boost, as they run that much boost on diesels without any probs.

Good choice!

veloce200
The bigger the turbo the longer it takes to spool up..progressive power doesn't really come in to it unless you have a high/low boost switch.

Its all or nothing but yes keep it 8 valve.

I will be using my existing Emerald which is pretty good for turbo control although not as good as the KMS. With a EBV it will be possible to make the turbo delivery smooth and directly related to throttle position. I think I am right in saying the TT set up is not as sophisticated.

vern

The a/r stamped on the compressor side of the TT turbo I have is .48, but aparantly they did a couple of types according to TT!!.

TEKNOPUG
I will be using my existing Emerald which is pretty good for turbo control although not as good as the KMS. With a EBV it will be possible to make the turbo delivery smooth and directly related to throttle position. I think I am right in saying the TT set up is not as sophisticated.

Yes, that's a pretty accurate description!

What I would say against using a progressive boost controller, is that you lose the sensation of a turbocharged car. Because the boost increases linear with the revs, you don't get a big kick of power when the engine comes on boost and pins you in your seat. It's certainly more refined with progressive boost and a good idea if you're running a lot of power, but it makes it feel like a large capacity N/A engine. You lose the rawness of the turbo which is half the fun IMHO.

TEKNOPUG
Be good to see that!

Couldn't find the exact article (still looking) but this is a really good read http://www.turbomustangs.com/turbotech/main.htm

Has lot's of equations relating heat to pressure etc. If you work on the basis that X% of +/- air equates to Y% of +/- power then you should be abel to work out what reduction in inlet temps (and therefore air pressure) will have on power.

Also has some very interesting articles on pressure drop (pressure difference between turbo outlet and engine inlet) and how this effects temps and therefore power. For example, if your cylinder head has been worked on to allow more airflow, then the inlet pressure drops and you require more boost from the turbo to see the same boost level at the inlet. With greater turbo boost comes more heat and less power.

Have a read through if you get some time.

veloce200

thanks guys. I know what you mean about the turbo hit - but TBH on the track its the last thing you want. I've seen plenty of 5 turbos go faster with less boost on sprints as they just couldn't get the power down. I'd therefore prefer to run a larger turbo more compression and spark off boost and only a small amount of boost overall with modded head etc. Honda VTEC turbos are a good example - bolt onto std engine - only a few psi boost but 300hp with ease and still loads of revs!

Sign in to follow this