• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
butchlad

Looking For 200bhp, What's The Best Way To Achieve It?

butchlad

Hello everyone, I have a 1.9 and am looking into an engine conversion (to achieve 200bhp). I'm new to pugs, as I've been playing with a Fiesta RST for the last couple of years. The fez has gone now, and I have the hot hatch that I have always wanted, I just want it a little hotter.

I've heard about Mi16 engines, 2l 8v Turbo engines, S16 engines and GTi6 engines, but which one do 8 out of 10 cats go for? (What is the difference between an Mi16 engine and an S16?)

I would be very grateful to anyone for their opinions - 200bhp, which engine? and what performance mods need doing to that engine?

Many thanks,

Phil

sonofsam

Most people go for the Mi16 i would say, there's loads of threads on getting that to 200 a search will no doubt bring a few up.

S16 is a 2.0L were Mi16's are usually 1.9L

Only seen a few 6's on here.

8V Turbo will make 200 with a new Turbo/manifold and decent management quite easily.

Which ever way you go , its not that cheap to get that magical figure.

Edd-XS

Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of pug ownership! lol

Mi16, bodies and cams with maybe abit of headwork should see about 200bhp give or take. There are a few guys on here running your magical figure and then some, so im sure they'll have a few bits and pieces to say soon. Apparentely getting the 200bhp to the tarmac gets abit tricky though with that kind of power and brake upgrades are certainly worthwhile. It isnt too difficult to get that kind of power I dont believe, but make sure you've got the benjamins to hand!

Edd

Jonmurgie

8 out of 10 cats would go for an Mi16 (160-170 standard) then throttle bodies or carbs and probably an inlet cam change and that should see you easily to 200bhp :lol: Should be do-able for around 1k - 1.5k depending on whether you go TB's or Carbs and what engine you start off with (rebuilt etc.)

Spend some time using the search function as there are lots of threads on Mi16 tuning and general 205 tuning, as Edd mentines you'd also want to be looking at fitting better brakes and probably an LSD to help get he power down!

johnrobertgordon
8 out of 10 cats would go for an Mi16 (160-170 standard) then throttle bodies or carbs and probably an inlet cam change and that should see you easily to 200bhp :lol: Should be do-able for around 1k - 1.5k depending on whether you go TB's or Carbs and what engine you start off with (rebuilt etc.)

Spend some time using the search function as there are lots of threads on Mi16 tuning and general 205 tuning, as Edd mentines you'd also want to be looking at fitting better brakes and probably an LSD to help get he power down!

An mi16 is actually 155 bhp (claimed) as standard.

I have looked recently at trying to get more power into my 205. I have come to the conclusion that there is no simple way to get lots of power. 200bhp is going to cost a lot of time and money. Mi16 is a good choice because of the power delivery but to get an mi to 200bhp will take development time and money.

A turbo is probrably the easiest way to reach 200bhp but i would not fancy trying to put the power down with out a trick diff and balls of steal.

jackherer

thats the figure for the later 2.0 cast iron Mi16s. The original 1.9 alloy blocks as found in all BX 16vs and early 405s is rated at 160bhp.

johnrobertgordon
thats the figure for the later 2.0 cast iron Mi16s. The original 1.9 alloy blocks as found in all BX 16vs and early 405s is rated at 160bhp.

Ahhhh ok, i stand corrected sorry :lol:

jackherer

the 2.0s have cats as standard too and I suspect that all the missing power (if not more) is recovered if they are put into a 205 without a cat.

Miles

I know this is a varied topic, But a well built Mi with T/B's and 4-2-1 with some mild cams will see cira 200bhp without a problem, I;ve built 2 with this spec and seen the results.

Carb's are a waste of time as you really need 3d ignition mapping so if your buying a ECU you may as well pay for extra for fueling as well and you never need to adjust it once set.

The 2l does get the extra power back and it has more torque too, Being a nice 86x86 it's more revvy too

alternatengine

There is no definitive answer to give really. From experience i would say the GTi-6 on a 1.9 box works well my old one was 186bhp with only exhaust and air filter. (167 as standard).

Do you have a budget?

TEKNOPUG

Turbocharging is the cheapest route (well, nitrous is THE cheapest way, obviously)

Jonmurgie

I have looked recently at trying to get more power into my 205. I have come to the conclusion that there is no simple way to get lots of power. 200bhp is going to cost a lot of time and money. Mi16 is a good choice because of the power delivery but to get an mi to 200bhp will take development time and money.

A turbo is probrably the easiest way to reach 200bhp but i would not fancy trying to put the power down with out a trick diff and balls of steal.

Man, spend some time searching the forum and reading up, your dishing out mis-information all over that post matey!

johnrobertgordon
Man, spend some time searching the forum and reading up, your dishing out mis-information all over that post matey!

I have apologised once......i aint doing it again. :blink:

butchlad

A hot topic obviously.

Thanks for all of the opinions by the way. My budget is very much like a Saturday night, the result will depend on how carried away I get.

Here's a situation for you all - if there was an Mi16, an S16 and a GTi 6 engine sat there in an unlocked garage, the guard dog had been cunningly drugged by some "funny" sausages, and you had the strength of the legendary He-Man, which engine would you run away with?

Is the S16 better than an MI engine, only not as common?

Is the GTI 6 conversion more complicated than the other 2?

camgti

Hit the search section mate.

OOOOdddddles of info in there.

I would proberbly go the MI16 route as its lighter then the others, the GTi6 is a little more dicking around with the wiring (i think) and there is plenty of guys here and plenty of knowlege to go to 200hp. I have found and read that the Standard ECU and injectors can only really push about 190hp. The heads flow planty enough in all engines so they wont really need touching. Proberbly TBs, Inlet cam, change ECU (ther are heaps out there) set it up nice and youll be laughing. But do a search theres heaps of info on here...

My 2 Cents,

Cam

Alan_M
A hot topic obviously.

Thanks for all of the opinions by the way. My budget is very much like a Saturday night, the result will depend on how carried away I get.

Here's a situation for you all - if there was an Mi16, an S16 and a GTi 6 engine sat there in an unlocked garage, the guard dog had been cunningly drugged by some "funny" sausages, and you had the strength of the legendary He-Man, which engine would you run away with?

Is the S16 better than an MI engine, only not as common?

Is the GTI 6 conversion more complicated than the other 2?

Just to complicate things, what about a mixture of 2 or 3 of them? :)

petert

The S16 (and 2L Mi16) engine every time. It has the same head as the 1.9L Mi16, bigger bore and all the right goodies in the block. It might weigh a few kg's more than the alloy 1.9L, but you'll more than make up for that in hp. The GTi6 is over rated in my opinion.

nickpug309tt
The S16 (and 2L Mi16) engine every time. It has the same head as the 1.9L Mi16, bigger bore and all the right goodies in the block. It might weigh a few kg's more than the alloy 1.9L, but you'll more than make up for that in hp. The GTi6 is over rated in my opinion.

If you are used to playing with Turbo Fiesta's mate and like that turbo feeling, I would look out for a TT conversion or 2.0L 8v lump. Slap a Gt28 and water injection on it and the Mi boys can keep their bhp, as its torque you want!

butchlad

Blimey, what a lot of options. All the input is much appreciated (and very interesting) - Ta very much.

Just to see how extreme the people are on here - Has anyone succeeded (or even attempted) putting the 3 litre engine from a 406 coupe in a 205?

nickpug309tt
Blimey, what a lot of options. All the input is much appreciated (and very interesting) - Ta very much.

Just to see how extreme the people are on here - Has anyone succeeded (or even attempted) putting the 3 litre engine from a 406 coupe in a 205?

Have a quick search/butchers and you'll find someone has put one V6 in a 309 Goodwood on this forum. Heard of a 205 with one in, but the owner wrote it off.

Ren

Hilgie has a V6 in his 205 and I believe someone else is in the process of fitting 1 in the front and 1 in the rear.

EDIT: Found them

This is Hilgies

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...=mental+patient

This is the twin engined one by martin@PRD

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...6&hl=engines+in

Edited by Ren

Bono

Probably not what you want to hear, but I found the cheapest and easiest way to get 200bhp was use nitrous.

You retain the driveability and MPG when pottering about town, but when you want to go fast you just flip the switch :)

I got a second hand kit for ~£150, installed it myself and it works fine.

Refilling a 5lb bottle generally costs around £25-30

alternatengine

I've not done a V6.

But here is my monster.

image0069dh.jpg

Gti-6 turbo.

307bhp 386lb/ft torque (flywheel figure)

Edited by alternatengine

huxley309

All depends on what you want from the engine....i went the 1.9mi route as i love the way it revs then goes nuts higher up

Went and bought 85mm forged pistons with custom liners so i could take her to 1998cc still revvy but far better spread of torque and when it hits 5500rpm all hell breaks loose :D

Personally though if i knew more id have gone a similar route as blackmi16 with the S16 bored to 88mm 1.9mi crank custom rods and pistons heading close to the 2.3L mark :blink:

Best bet is to have a ride in a car with differing engines that way you'll have a better idea

Edited by huxley309

Sign in to follow this